Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT SC question query

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT SC question query [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 01:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:14) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
Hi all,

I have come across a SC question:

790). The number of mountain gorillas is declining with such rapidity that the population is one-half in the twenty years between a count made by George Schaller in 1960 and the one made by Dian Fossey in 1980.

(A) with such rapidity that the population is one-half

(B) with such rapidity that the population was one-half

(C) so rapidly the population divided in half

(D) so rapidly that the population was halved

(E) in such rapidity that the population is halved

Author says the answer is D with following explanation

790) . OA - D - idiomatic - ...so+adjective/ adverb+that..

A, B, E - incorrect - unidiomatic - ..such rapidity

C - incorrect - changes the meaning - wrongly suggests that the population divided in half

However I don't agree with the answer as IMO the original sentence uses the verb "is" (present tense) - "with such rapidity that the population is one-half" , whereas the answer choice is was (past tense).. Is there anything that I am missing here... :?:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT SC question query [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 05:00
I agree with the answer.

In my opinion:

The number of mountain gorillas is declining so rapidly that the population was halved in the twenty years between a count made by George Schaller in 1960 and the one made by Dian Fossey in 1980.

is correct because "is declining" refers to a more general trend and the tense indicates that it is continuing today, while the part that follows refers to an example sub-period in the past (from 1960 till 1980), so the past tense is justified...

Often "the best option" does not sound that great at all.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

When you give kudos, you do not lose your previously earned kudos, you rather contribute to the forum's culture of appreciation.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 45

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT SC question query [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 05:55
The number of mountain gorillas is declining so rapidly that the population was halved in the twenty years between a count made by George Schaller in 1960 and the one made by Dian Fossey in 1980.

Why should we use was here? Because the number let's say 1000, became 1/2 of 1000 in the twenty years between 1960 and 1980.Since this is a past period, we should use was.

Also, the number not only halved, but it still continues to decline. So we are using "The number of mg is declining"

http://mymbadreamz.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT SC question query [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 06:29
@thetiming, I guess u are right, sometimes u have to pick the best of the options although it might not be perfect one.
@mymbadreamz, that's perfect.. I posed this question because there is another SC question and answer to that question disagreed with the answer of this question.. however, as said by the timing we have to choose the best one..
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT SC question query [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 06:40
For better clarity and understanding, I'll also put the other question, which i mentioned in last comment..

791). The number of undergraduate degrees in engineering awarded by colleges and universities in the United States increased by more than twice from 1978 to 1985.

(A) increased by more than twice
(B) increased more than two times
(C) more than doubled
(D) was more than doubled
(E) had more than doubled

As per author the correct answer is C, whereas i though it to be D (based on the reasons mentioned by thetiming & mymbadreamz.. However that's not correct by the author.. can someone throw some light on this..??

Reasoning given by the author is as follows:
791). (OG 10th Ques No - 72) - OA - C
OE:
A - incorrect - because an adverb such as twice cannot function as an object of the preposition by

B - incorrect - distorts the sentence's meaning, stating that the number of engineering degrees conferred increased on more than two distinct occasions

D - incorrect - passive verb was ... doubled suggests without warrant that some unnamed agent increased the number of engineering degrees

E - incorrect - The past perfect tense .. had... doubled, is inappropriate unless the increase in engineering degrees is specifically being viewed as having occurred further back in the past than some subsequent event.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT SC question query [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2011, 04:17
Agree with other members here the use of was is must as the census was done in past & not in present!!

We are twice armed if we fight with faith.

He who knows when he can fight & when He can't will be victorious.

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 124

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT SC question query [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2011, 11:26
Expert's post
In this second example, the word "was" is not needed to put the action in the past. "Doubled" is already in the past tense. (As in, "His income doubled after he got his MBA.")

Putting "was" in front of doubled simply causes a shift to the passive voice, implying that someone doubled the number. This doesn't make sense under the circumstances. The number increased, but no one sat down and decided to double it.

So at this point, you may be thinking "Doesn't that mean that in the gorilla example, the correct answer is implying that someone or something actively cut the gorilla population in half?" You would be right; that is exactly what choice D is implying. However, in the case of the gorillas, outside forces (poachers, disease, etc.) might force this kind of change, so this construction makes more sense. There is also no other viable option, and that always helps make a choice more appealing!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT SC question query [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 21:14
clear D. with such rapidity and in such rapidity aren't correct idiomatic usages.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Re: GMAT SC question query   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2011, 21:14