Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Snacks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 19:19
Haha awesome post!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 16:34
trunksli wrote:
shaselai wrote:
i suggest 4 hour energy - i used it at both exams - no sugar overload/crash during the exam or after really. Easy to consume (like a shot) so you dont get the urge to go to the bathroom during the exam. You can get it at gas stations or grocery places.

I tried that for a practice exam, and it made me really jittery like I couldn't think straight. My scores did improve though, so who knows maybe it was good for me even if it didn't feel good.

I would say try your snacks first on a prac test, don't eat/drink something for the first time for the real thing! You don't want to eat a yogurt bar and realize too late you're lactose intolerant!!

4 hour energy was very important for me. I tried coffee and Monster energy during practice tests, but found myself having trouble concentrating due to needing to use the restroom by the end of the exam. 4 hour energy gave me the lift I needed without reeking havoc on my bladder. It worked for me, as I scored a 750.

I think you are spot on though. Practice with whatever snacks you plan on using in advance, so on test day you are not experimenting with anything new. Everyone's body is different.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 00:02
I find i concentrate best with Up'n'go and then a banana or an apple. With regards to energy drinks, I wouldn't recommend them not only because they are bad for you but also because they put you on a abnormal high!

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.32
WE: Editorial and Writing (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 20:17
Great post.

Cheers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 9

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 23:55
Mindreko wrote:
With regards to energy drinks, I wouldn't recommend them not only because they are bad for you but also because they put you on a abnormal high!

I agree. It's best to stay away from food or drinks that the body isn't used to.

In this GMAT blog post, check out Arindam's experience (third in the comments list) about what happened at the time of his test.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 07:54
Very interesting post.Definitely one of the neglected and taken-for-granted areas during the GMAT.

I personally went for a combination of chocolates,some nuts and orange juice during my test.A high energy bar or a nut-filled chocolate bar would also do,anything giving you that necessary burst of glucose and energy to your blood and your brain.Have discussed the 8-minute break food during my GMAT extensively in my debrief here:
how-i-almost-belled-the-mat-710-q45-v42-134003.html

Agree with MBACrystalBall about energy drinks.Not the best idea consuming them between your exam.But to each his own,I guess.As long as you have practiced with food/drinks you are comfortable with during your mock CATs,its fine.NEVER try anything new during the exam!!
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 02:22
Say I want energy to hit me at fifteen minutes into the verbal section. What would be the best time to eat a banana or two? My test is at 9 am so I figure I'll be getting to verbal at 11:20am...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 23:48
Hello - Has any one tried 5 hr energy drink? I have bought them and I will try them out during my CATs, but I still wanted to know if anyone has faced problem because of this drink? I have bought both the extra-energy 5 hr energy and the normal the version too. Which one do you guys recommend.

Please advise. My real exam is not very far.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg 1YR '14

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 01:01
Jp27 wrote:
Hello - Has any one tried 5 hr energy drink? I have bought them and I will try them out during my CATs, but I still wanted to know if anyone has faced problem because of this drink? I have bought both the extra-energy 5 hr energy and the normal the version too. Which one do you guys recommend.

Cheers

I tried both 5hr energy and Red Bull. I personally find Red Bull more gratifying, didn't really get much punch out of 5hrs. I'd say try the Red bull without sugar or zero Red bull if you are worried about jitters. But Red Bull regular is what I personally like. I had it after a coffee and that kinda really was pushing the Red Bull effect to the max.

Goodluck on your exam!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 07:54
vsl325 wrote:
:D You can't say this forum doesn't cover all topics !!!

hahahha yes I second that!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 07:55
dawizard wrote:
Jp27 wrote:

Cheers

I tried both 5hr energy and Red Bull. I personally find Red Bull more gratifying, didn't really get much punch out of 5hrs. I'd say try the Red bull without sugar or zero Red bull if you are worried about jitters. But Red Bull regular is what I personally like. I had it after a coffee and that kinda really was pushing the Red Bull effect to the max.

Goodluck on your exam!

thanks for your response!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 23:47
This post received
KUDOS
As a doctor, i would recommend each to get an idea on what foods provide a lasting dose of energy and then "Do your own thing". Generally Grains, and cereal based foods are good early in the day and get you started! (you want CARBS). Have a banana along with your favorite CEREAL or a sandwich made from whole grain bread. If you like coffee or OJ go for either. The key is to find out WHICH FOODS provide you the most energy, but you must also like to EAT those foods.. An energy drink 20 minutes before the test is a good idea, however these drinks do come with side effects ranging from chest pain, tachycardia to massive headache's and dizziness so it is a good idea to test them out to see whether they work for you or not. If you enjoy a Sandwich in between your study sessions then their is no need to EAT A SNICKERS BAR (which you may otherwise dislike). Foods that one like's act as mood elevators (we all feel a level of satisfaction when we eat our favorite food ), so you want to enjoy what you eat. The important point here is to EAT something and most of the things that you will choose will have a positive impact for you ( will provide energy).

I have seen friends that have taken caffeine pills for 2 days with very little sleep (2-3 hours a day) DO EXTREMELY well in MARATHON Medical examinations, however that is not recommended. I have also seen some go buck wild and take HUGE quantity of food before the exam and do equally well (this is also not recommended). Try to get a good meal the night before (perhaps go to your favorite restaurant) and a GOOD breakfast the morning of the test. Take along foods that you enjoy and look forward to eating (DO NOT EXPERIMENT) and do your own thing ( You have taken Exams all your life, and most have taken exams that last 3-4 hours, so just follow what has worked for you)..

In between the quant and Verbal session (last break) you will perhaps feel the most drained.. Eat something, have a sip of water and try to " RE-BOOT your BRAIN" .. Do what works for you, gets you relaxed, gets your brain to easy up. For some it is listening to music, for others it may be doing push up's or walking around teh center..For others it may be splashing water etc.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 464 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 08:06
Expert's post
Though quite late in replying to vomhorizon's excellent post, I would like to thank this member for his or her valuable input. I would also like to remind everyone that the alloted breaks are rather short, so make sure that whatever energy food is chosen can be comfortably consumed within that limited timeframe!
Re: GMAT Snacks   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2013, 08:06