Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:47

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

12 days until test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

12 days until test [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 14:07
Over the duration of my studying I have always felt like the verbal portion of the exam has been easier for me. However, after running the analysis on the 4 MGMATS and GMAT PREP 1 it looks like I need to improve my Verbal score. I am currently 12 days away from taking my exam. I can tell you that I have spent probably 75% of my time focusing on Quant. I am looking for some suggestions on boosting this verbal score.

CAT 4- Verbal 39
CAT 3- Verbal 45
CAT 2- Verbal 38
CAT 1- Verbal 39
GMAT PREP 1- Verbal 31
Average: 38

Below is the breakdown by question type. Based on this analysis it looks like I missed the most questions in RC. I found this be weird because I feel like RC is actually my strong point based on my analysis of OG(80%+ accuracy). So, I am assuming this must be due to timing. With the GMAT PREP I missed 3 RC, 4 CR, 4 SC. I am looking for some suggestions on boosting this verbal score. My plan is to review the MGMAT sentence guide and critical reasoning bible before my exam(it is in 12 days). I have also have started to attempt questions from the GMATCLUB quizzes in the 700 level for verbal due to finishing the OG guide. I started to complete some questions in the Verbal Guide 2 however I felt like the questions were very easy(got through the 6th passage without missing a question in RC). I am not really sure how I can boost my RC skills.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by Big4Advisory on 05 Apr 2013, 05:15, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Improving Verbal Score- 12 days until test [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 18:44
is there a way to post the types of wrong questions? might shed some light re: patterns and such.

are you assuming too much? do you more trouble with type questions (what's is the purpose? what is the author's main point? what does paragraph 2 accomplish? etc) or do you find yourself reading glancing at key words and jumping to conclusions?

did you try reading slower for content and then working thru questions faster? or do you read to slow leaving you with little time for questions?

how's your verbal pacing in general? do you find yourself guessing on last few? do you get stuck on long SC sentences? (especially reading each LONG answer?) although this area seems to be your strength so you should be teaching me!

in CR, do you read the question or the stimulus first? do you find yourself reading the stimulus twice? do you have trouble keeping all the information intact? do you read through all the answers before clicking?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9425 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Improving Verbal Score- 12 days until test [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 20:12
Expert's post
Yes, RC is the hardest to boost. One way to do it is boost the performance on CR/SC and then save some time for the RC but with 12 days it is tough to do a whole lot. Here is a thread that was put together for those looking to improve. Perhaps you can find something here: how-to-improve-verbal-from-v30-to-v40-142361.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Improving Verbal Score- 12 days until test   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2013, 20:12