Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Introduction

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Emory, UNC, Darden,Vanderbilt
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Introduction [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 11:14
To all,

It has been a pleasure reading about everyone's triumphs and tribulations. I have already been through the GMAT study ringer and scored an abysmal 470!!!! I did a lot of things wrong while preparing, much of my failure was because I depended far too much on routine as a method of learning and ignored the diligence needed to understand everything before you move on. Because of this I developed weak fundamentals and could not depend on myself to get through the test. It was an enormous disappointment. The only study material I used was Knewton's online course, and I ended it with some mixed feelings.

Diagnostic - 470
CAT 1 - 440
CAT 2 - 500
CAT 3 - 530
CAT 4 - 490
CAT 5 - 530
GMAT - 470

The first four tests I didn't even finish in time and the last two I finished only because I vowed to answer every question, not because I was prepared. Regardless, like most others I need to retake the GMAT and this time I will us the gmatclub as my bible.

As far as my MBA journey - My plan was to apply for the class of 2014, but my resignation from what many ex-employees before me dubbed as "the pits of hell", - which will remain nameless - and so I pushed my plans up to apply for c/o 2013.

Schools - Darden, Kenan-Flagler, Goizueta and Owen.

So, here we go! I changed my study plan; I order the OG 12th, verbal/quant review 2nd, Manhattan Strategy Guides, Kaplan 800, Kaplan Math Workbook, Kaplan Verbal Fundamentals and a stopwatch. I then downloaded a calendar and an error log. I expect to have all my resources by Monday and then the chaos starts.

Goal - 650 > I have a very strong MBA application so I don't feel I need to over compensate on the GMAT (maybe this is the wrong strategy). I am open for advice and encouragement (of course)!

Thanks for reading!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Introduction [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 11:51
Good luck, and I think you're on the right track with your recent purchases. What are your R3 deadlines? You'll be pushing it to boost your score ~150 points and complete applications to start school this fall.

For what it's worth, in my ~7 months of off and on GMAT prep, I only took 3 full-length tests--one GMAC diagnostic at the very beginning, and two from MGMAT during the last month before the test. You've already taken twice as many tests as me.

Focus on practice, memorizing the basic formulas/rules, learning how to simplify stuff to solve the problems, and identifying your weaknesses and why you're missing the problems and you'll be far better off than you would if you simply worked test after test. The MGMAT books will help you with all that.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Introduction [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 22:13
Welcome to the club!

you are on a right path joining our 100k members community.

About Knewton the good thing is that they will refund you the cost of the course. you you will use the money to buy books :D

Please see these threads, they will help you to orient in your GMAT jorney:
Study plan: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301
Best books(review): best-gmat-books-77703.html
All practice tests: all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?highlight=ml502 One of the most realiable tests is GMATprep - download it from mba.com

Gmatclub tests: hardest quantative problems for 48+ score http://gmatclub.com/tests/

On-line courses from different companies: gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Introduction [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 06:51
Emont,

Thank you for the advice, and I agree R3 deadlines are certainly around the corner. I have a strict schedule to follow that will get me back to the test center by the third week of March. Since I'm not working right now I've made GMAT prep my full time commitment. The thing is I know I can do well, it is just a matter of finding the method to learn the material.
Intern
Intern

Re: Introduction [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 07:02
Pkit,

Thanks for the welcome. The irony with Knewton is I score a 470 on the diag. and then 530 on the last test, so I don't qualify for the refund. That's the risk I suppose. Either way, the books are already purchased and plan B is under way. Thanks for the threads, I've already started to bookmark some valuable threads for future study.
Intern
Intern

Re: Introduction > Journey [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 07:44
Yesterday a 19.7 pound package arrived with all the GMAT goodies. I loaded up the backpack and was out the door. MLK was gracious enough leave the Starbucks open on his birthday, (since all the libraries are closed) so I ordered a Venti Bold and left it black. Settled in, I opened the first Manhattan GMAT study guide "Number Properties". It all started flooding back to me, but as I read I noticed that things were making much better sense than my first time around. I'm not sure if it is the material or the operator on device, ME, but excited I pushed on.

Divisors
Factors
Multiples
Prime Numbers
Ven Diagrams

Chapter 1 Done!
[highlight]Comment[/highlight]: So far, the study guide is excellent at putting forward a concept and then drilling you on the concept in GMAT fashion.

Yesterday was a short day because I didn't get the books until the afternoon. Today will be chapters 3, 4 and 5. Talk to you soon.

P.S. I heard Apple intends to make sure Steve Jobs lives forever so they are looking to get him another Kindey > any donors????? Just kidding of course :lol:
Re: Introduction > Journey   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2011, 07:44