Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Thunderbird '15
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 22:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:33) correct 60% (01:21) wrong based on 226 sessions
Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns called “crop circles” consisting of flattened plants in a field of corn or other grains have mysteriously appeared from time to time on farms in both the United States and the United Kingdom. The appearance of these crop circles is usually preceded by strange lights in the sky and no human has ever been caught in the act of creating one of these patterns. These crop circles must be the product of aliens from outer space.

Steve: Maybe they are a means of communication for some weird secret society. Or perhaps they are all part of an elaborate hoax by college fraternities. In any case, I seriously doubt that these crop circles are the product of extra-terrestrial beings.

Steve responds to Joe’s conclusion by _____

a) suggesting alternatives that refute Joe’s conclusion
b) assuming that Joe’s conclusion cannot be correct
c) negating the validity of a premise upon which Joe relies in drawing his conclusion
d) offering alternative explanations consistent with the evidence that Joe cites
e) attacking Joe's conclusion as inconsistent with the available evidence
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Crop Cricles [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 01:29
I think Steve refutes the conclusion drawn by Joe. He actually says that probability attributed to aliens in the Joe's reasoning is false. There may be alternate explanations. And both the speakers use the exact same premise to draw different conclusions. Answer A. But I will like to hear from others.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: Crop Cricles [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 02:16
Evidence that Joe cites:
1. appearance of crop circles.
2. preceded by strange lights in the sky
3. no human ever caught
Between A and D
Steve obviously and clearly refutes Joe's conclusions. He also provides alternative explanations. secret society might use communication signals such as light, and if it is a hoax, no human being can be caught 'making' them.

But D doesnt include the part of 'refuting' the conclusion, which the second part of Steve's statement vehemently does.

Chose A, but not sure, D is partial, but correct.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Crop Cricles [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 03:45
I chose D, but A also seems to be right since it talks about refuting and Steve's statement is very clear in terms of refuting Joe's statement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Crop Cricles [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 03:38
D is wrong because "refute" is in the reply

A is correct because A is comprehensive. A cover both "alternative" and "refute" and so is good.

I dislike this question. Please, post oa explanation

If there is no OA explanation, we should not study this question.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
Any explanation on this?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 09:37
re·fute (r-fyt)
tr.v. re·fut·ed, re·fut·ing, re·futes
1. To prove to be false or erroneous; overthrow by argument or proof: refute testimony.
2. To deny the accuracy or truth of

Joe is clearly offering alternate explanation.
But he is not refuting as per definition 1 . Even WRT 2 , Joe is just saying he does not agree. Joe does not deny the accuracy :roll:

Even otherwise Refute is too strong to conclude.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 04:38
My thought is confusing between A and D, but I think D is better. A say refute Joe's conclusion. That thing mate me feel this is wrong because it does not refute, just explain.

a) suggesting alternatives that refute Joe’s conclusion
d) offering alternative explanations consistent with the evidence that Joe cites

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Expert Post
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2615 [0], given: 696

Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 13:04
Expert's post
I'm wondering if you put the tag sub 600 level conscientiously or at random because this question is pretty tough (almost always this kind of question is pretty difficult)

(A)suggesting alternatives that refute Joe’s conclusion

Ok he suggests alternative explanation but doesn't refute Joe's conclusion because this word is too strong. also notice the word MAYBE at the beginning of the second stimulus

(B)assuming that Joe’s conclusion cannot be correct. Again cannot is too extreme and morever he doesn't say that Joe's conslusion is not correct

(C)negating the validity of a premise upon which Joe relies in drawing his conclusion

No because once again the key word is MAYBE. Ok Joe, maybe what you are saying is true, maybe not......but the Joe's conclusion is not negated completely

D)offering alternative explanations consistent with the evidence that Joe cites

Yup correct. consistent means coherent, not against but on the same side of the argument, basically. At the same time he gives alternatives explanations

(E)attacking Joe's conclusion as inconsistent with the available evidence

Nope. clearly at this point wrong

Please ask anything if remains unclear

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Director
Director
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 37

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 20:59
@carcass the joe's conclusion is :These crop circles must be the product of aliens from outer space.
what does steve says ? he says: In any case, I seriously doubt that these crop circles are the product of extra-terrestrial beings.
so isint he simply refuting that conclusion of joe is wrong ?
in other words he is assuming that joe's coclusion is wrong
i guess answer sud be B
more over where do u find steve's explanation consistent with evidence of joe?
Expert Post
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2615 [0], given: 696

Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 04:20
Expert's post
I agree with your doubts. Basically the question is: is difficult to write very good question that completely adhere to a gmat-style.

Moreover, I agree on the point that B could be the answer. however D fits the bill much better in this case, if we strictly talk about the question.

Now: B) assuming that Joe’s conclusion cannot be correct

Steve doesn't assume anything. Simply because if he assume that then he probably could not say "I seriously doubt that these crop circles are the product of extra-terrestrial beings."

And this leads at the same time to the second question pointed out by you: consistent.

Is consistent because one says "someone that basically is unknown have done that"........the other syas: "no maybe is someone else that have done that - not the aliens but something ele that is misterious or eerie. As such, is something on the same side of the "moon". he didn't say: " NO. the diagram was done by Barack Obama", something or someone who we know to exist for sure.

;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 70

Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 19:29
Merged all duplicate topics for "Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 291

Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 05:15
I agree with carcas. This is not a sub 600 question. There are only two possibilities. This is either a 700 level question or you are "Sheldon Cooper". :D. btw Carcas, you say that refute is too strong a word. What would you say to "I seriously Doubt", Isn't this deemed too strong on the GMAT?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 249

Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 18:51
carcass wrote:
I'm wondering if you put the tag sub 600 level conscientiously or at random because this question is pretty tough (almost always this kind of question is pretty difficult)

(A)suggesting alternatives that refute Joe’s conclusion

Ok he suggests alternative explanation but doesn't refute Joe's conclusion because this word is too strong. also notice the word MAYBE at the beginning of the second stimulus

(B)assuming that Joe’s conclusion cannot be correct. Again cannot is too extreme and morever he doesn't say that Joe's conslusion is not correct

(C)negating the validity of a premise upon which Joe relies in drawing his conclusion

No because once again the key word is MAYBE. Ok Joe, maybe what you are saying is true, maybe not......but the Joe's conclusion is not negated completely

D)offering alternative explanations consistent with the evidence that Joe cites

Yup correct. consistent means coherent, not against but on the same side of the argument, basically. At the same time he gives alternatives explanations

(E)attacking Joe's conclusion as inconsistent with the available evidence

Nope. clearly at this point wrong

Please ask anything if remains unclear

d) offering alternative explanations consistent with the evidence that Joe cites ->> says that the explanation given is consistent ,but that is not the case Joe says "no human has ever been caught in the act of creating one of these patterns" while Steve says "they are a means of communication for some weird secret society Or perhaps they are all part of an elaborate hoax by college fraternities" both of these alternate explanations have to be caused by human intervention. Hence Steve's explanation is NOT consistent with the evidence given by Joe.

while (a)suggesting alternatives that refute Joe’s conclusion -> seems right since Steve has offered alternatives and refutes Joe's alien conclusion saying "In any case, I seriously doubt that these crop circles are the product of extra-terrestrial beings."

Hope someone from Manhattan Gmat can confirm the OA and give an explanation as well.

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 337 [4] , given: 5

Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dentobizz wrote:
d) offering alternative explanations consistent with the evidence that Joe cites ->> says that the explanation given is consistent ,but that is not the case Joe says "no human has ever been caught in the act of creating one of these patterns" while Steve says "they are a means of communication for some weird secret society Or perhaps they are all part of an elaborate hoax by college fraternities" both of these alternate explanations have to be caused by human intervention. Hence Steve's explanation is NOT consistent with the evidence given by Joe.

while (a)suggesting alternatives that refute Joe’s conclusion -> seems right since Steve has offered alternatives and refutes Joe's alien conclusion saying "In any case, I seriously doubt that these crop circles are the product of extra-terrestrial beings."

Hope someone from Manhattan Gmat can confirm the OA and give an explanation as well.

Responding to a PM on this...

The correct answer is D and I will agree that this is a difficult question. It doesn't follow the format of common CR questions and answers A & D are very similar, making it difficult to decide which is correct.

Answer choice A states that Steve provides explanations to REFUTE the conclusion (aliens must be behind crop circles). However, in order to refute the conclusion, Steve would have to DISPROVE the conclusion. That means, he would have to provide evidence that makes Joe's conclusion invalid. Steve provides potential alternate explanations, but those explanations are based on conjecture and therefore do not disprove, but rather only cast doubt upon the conclusion (see how little words in CR play a significant role). The statement by Steve, "I seriously doubt that these crop circles are the product of extra-terrestrial beings", is definitely in opposition to Joe's conclusion, but it is an opinion - not evidence that could disprove the conclusion.

Answer choice D states that Steve provided alternate explanations, which he did (secret society, fraternities). These alternative explanations are said to be consistent with the evidence Joe cited, and they are. Joe states that no human has been "caught in the act" of creating a crop circle, not that humans don't create them. Secret societies and fraternities do their work in secret so as to avoid being "caught in the act".

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 249

Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 15:20
KyleWiddison wrote:
dentobizz wrote:

Responding to a PM on this...

The correct answer is D and I will agree that this is a difficult question. It doesn't follow the format of common CR questions and answers A & D are very similar, making it difficult to decide which is correct.

Answer choice A states that Steve provides explanations to REFUTE the conclusion (aliens must be behind crop circles). However, in order to refute the conclusion, Steve would have to DISPROVE the conclusion. That means, he would have to provide evidence that makes Joe's conclusion invalid. Steve provides potential alternate explanations, but those explanations are based on conjecture and therefore do not disprove, but rather only cast doubt upon the conclusion (see how little words in CR play a significant role). The statement by Steve, "I seriously doubt that these crop circles are the product of extra-terrestrial beings", is definitely in opposition to Joe's conclusion, but it is an opinion - not evidence that could disprove the conclusion.

Answer choice D states that Steve provided alternate explanations, which he did (secret society, fraternities). These alternative explanations are said to be consistent with the evidence Joe cited, and they are. Joe states that no human has been "caught in the act" of creating a crop circle, not that humans don't create them. Secret societies and fraternities do their work in secret so as to avoid being "caught in the act".

KW

Thanks for responding Kyle. I did not take into account the subtle shift in meaning/scope-- no human has ever been caught in the act or seen creating them is not the same as 'no human as created them'

Kudos for the explanation

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Re: Joe: Many large, intricate, and precise geometric patterns   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2013, 15:20