Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Modifier Issue

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Modifier Issue [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 20:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of
home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
C. but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.
D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

I am confused between options B and C. OA is given as C.

Experts please explain why option B is wrong. Isn't the participial phrase "making beneficiaries...." correctly modifying the preceding clause correctly?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 36

Re: Modifier Issue [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 20:58
making.. is too far from the noun to unambiguously connect with Medicare.

for which correctly modifies the cost which immediately precedes it

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1338

Kudos [?]: 3878 [2] , given: 194

Re: Modifier Issue [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 15:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is a good question, one that (yet again) exemplifies the importance of understanding the meaning of the sentence.

I will definitely help you with choice B, but before I do that, you need to answer a few questions about the original choice.
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

1: What does the sentence (original choice) tell us about Medicare coverage of cost of home health care?
2: What does the sentence (original choice) tell us about Medicare coverage of cost of other non-hospital services?

Once you answer the above questions for choice A, then answer the same questions for choice B
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care but not of other non-hospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
1: What does the sentence (original choice) tell us about Medicare coverage of cost of home health care?
2: What does the sentence (original choice) tell us about Medicare coverage of cost of other non-hospital services?
3: What makes beneficiaries pay 20% of the costs?

I will look forward to your responses.

Payal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 47

Re: Modifier Issue [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 06:34
Hey Payal,

I guess sungoal is offf for now.

Here are my inputs.

The conveyed meaning : Medicare covers full cost of homecare. Whereas for other non hospital services 20% must be paid by the user.

Here IMO option B is erroneous because it gives a causal relationship for the entire clause. i.e For all the services provided by Medicare the end users must pay 20%.

In option C it is clear that only for non hospital services the users must pay 20%.

I have a few other doubts too.
What is wrong with option A ? - Is it the usage of the pronoun where. where can refer only to places but here there is no place indicated. Is A correct if we replace "where" with " in which "

According to e-gmat concept of clausation in option C,

non hospital services, for which ---> Is it ok to use which in this manner. Here the comma + for is a conjunction and there is anew clause following the for . What does which refers to. According to the meaning it refers to non hospital services. But what is the role of which in this context.

Thanks in advance.

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 302

Kudos [?]: 747 [0], given: 6

Re: Modifier Issue [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 18:32
Expert's post
sungoal wrote:
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of
home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
C. but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.
D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

I am confused between options B and C. OA is given as C.

Experts please explain why option B is wrong. Isn't the participial phrase "making beneficiaries...." correctly modifying the preceding clause correctly?

Less is more!

1) Identify that parallelism is at play here. The full cost of home health care covers the full cost of...*this* but not *of that*
You'll have to read the whole sentence to catch where exactly that cut off is
2) D & E are out as are A. B&C are in.
3) C has a comma, which means phrase after it is describing nonhospital services. This is true. The phrase after describes nonhospital services, and not the US health insurance program in general, which is what B does.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 562

Re: Modifier Issue [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 01:48
egmat wrote:
This is a good question, one that (yet again) exemplifies the importance of understanding the meaning of the sentence.

I will definitely help you with choice B, but before I do that, you need to answer a few questions about the original choice.
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

Once you answer the above questions for choice A, then answer the same questions for choice B
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care but not of other non-hospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

Payal

Since full cost of other non hospital services are not paid, beneficiaries need to pay 20% of the cost.. So I am not really sure why B is wrong.

Kindly help.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 14

Re: Modifier Issue [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 03:19
Hi Payal/Verbal Experts,

Clarifications required on one question which has been buzzing in my head, though it may sound very naive.

Please point out which of the following statments are correct/incorrect, keeping in mind the different intended meanings. According to me, all of them are correct corresponding to their meanings.

1. You live only once.
My Thoughts : Correct. "Only" as an adverb modifies the verb "live". Meaning : Making a general statement that everyone lives only one time.

2. You only live once.
My Thoughts : Correct. Over here, "Only" modifies "You" instead of "Live". Meaning : Say if were talking to my friend Ram, I am telling him specifically that only you live once whereas a Cat has nine lives.

2. Only you live once.
My Thoughts : Correct . Reasoning same as Statement 2.

Please clarify
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 14

Re: Modifier Issue [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 06:05
egmat wrote:

Payal

REPOST. Specifically tagging Payal

Hi Payal/Verbal Experts,

Clarifications required on one question which has been buzzing in my head, though it may sound very naive.

Please point out which of the following statments are correct/incorrect, keeping in mind the different intended meanings. According to me, all of them are correct corresponding to their meanings.

1. You live only once.
My Thoughts : Correct. "Only" as an adverb modifies the verb "live". Meaning : Making a general statement that everyone lives only one time.

2. You only live once.
My Thoughts : Correct. Over here, "Only" modifies "You" instead of "Live". Meaning : Say if were talking to my friend Ram, I am telling him specifically that only you live once whereas a Cat has nine lives.

2. Only you live once.
My Thoughts : Correct . Reasoning same as Statement 2.

Please clarify
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 268 [1] , given: 12

Re: Modifier Issue [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 16:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
We generally put "only" in front of the word or phrase we're modifying. The exception would be when we put it at the end of a phrase: "My band is in town for one night only." This is an expression, but it would still be correct to put "only" in front of what it's modifying--"one night." We put "only" at the end to show restrictions or limitations: "This album is for die-hard fans only," "This lane is for buses only," "Employees Only" (this would be on a sign and is not a sentence).

#1 You live only once.

"Only" modifies "once," which in turn modifies "live." It is saying that you live exactly one time.

#2 You only live once.

"Only" modifies "live." However, there isn't really a difference in meaning here, because "only once" was modifying "live' last time. As you've probably noticed these days with people posting "YOLO" everywhere, this is the preferred form for this expression.

#3 Only you live once.

*Now* we are modifying "you." Note that this means that you are literally the *only* one who lives once, at least in the context at hand.

I hope this helps!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Modifier Issue   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2013, 16:08