Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Vivek

thanks for the update. Nice to see you on the forums after a long time. It always feels good to hear from the regulars back then.

Congratulation on your acceptance to Mccombs. My roomate's been to Austin several times and he says the city's very beautiful.

We will definitely like for you to keep visiting. Some of the ways you can contribute

1. Whenever you join UT Austin, write a small review of the school.
2. Post your experiences of the program here.
3. I am planning to start forums exclusively for B-School diaries. I am not sure how to set it up, but i would love for you to contribute to the Mccombs diary. :-) let me see how it works out.
4. Whenever you can, try participating in the GMAT forums. 5 posts per week would be more than enough.

thanks
Praetorian
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats!

Thanks for the update. Like Praetorian said above, I hope you give us additional updates from Austin.

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1538 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats Vivek! Fantastic to be accepted by McCombs! On the list you gave, it seems pretty much to be one of the top choices to me. It would certainly be great if you could drop by and elaborate more on McCombs as time goes on. You are indeed one of the few members I have heard of in terms of admits and I hope more will speak up :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the wishes, guys. Sorry I'm late in replying as I was travelling back to India and busy with host of other things.

Yes, I will surely do a review on McCombs and would be more than happy to maintain a diary on my life in McCombs.

Coming back and contributing to this forum is certainly on my mind and would surely do it from now on.

Thanks,
Vivek.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 468 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations Vivek on your admit to McComb's. I live in Austin and I know that it is a great school. I have had the chance to talk to few of the McComb's students and they all had only nice things to say about the school. Besides, I think Austin is a great city. :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Gayathri. Ya, I know Austin absolutely rocks. BTW, where are u heading to or are you taking the plunge next year ?

-- Vivek.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Vivek, I have applied to INSEAD & it is the only school I am applying to this year. So wish me luck! :roll:
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
gayathri wrote:
Vivek, I have applied to INSEAD & it is the only school I am applying to this year. So wish me luck! :roll:

You should be fine with your GMAT score. I heard somewhere that schools such as INSEAD and LBS automatically favor applicants with good GMAT scores 700+. Had I waited one more year, INSEAD would have been one of my picks. Keep us posted because if you do go there, I am sure there are inter-school networking events and I'll make sure I pass by and say hi :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wish you the best, Gayathri. INSEAD is a good pick, a truly diverse school and as Paul said they prefer candidates with high GMAT scores, so you should be fine. Keep us posted.

-- Vivek.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Paul & Vivek for the kind words!

Quote:
Keep us posted because if you do go there, I am sure there are inter-school networking events and I'll make sure I pass by and say hi

Wouldnt that be great! I will keep you all posted. :-)
I applied for the R2 Jan 06, so have quite awhile to go before I hear anything though!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Vivek and Gayathri,
Best wishes to both of you. Vivek Austin is ball of a place, enjoy.

Gayathri, Insead is an excellent school, I have one more info to add that apart from high GMAT score they really value the essays you have submitted them.And yes they prefer if you know more then couple of languages. My best wishes to you.

Couple of stupid questions to you guys but I am not clear about the answer.............. Do I need to take Toffel as english test to apply in oversees school. I am an Engineering Graduate from India.

Do B schools need transcripts only for BE or from 10th and 12th standard too.

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you did not graduate from a school that was taught in english, you need to take the toefl.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the quick reply Paul. Yes my Enginnering was in english. I got confused because I saw a guy from India mentioning about his Toffel score and he to had Engineering degree. And I know for sure that none of the universities in India awarding engineering degree has instruction medium any thing other then English.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Biren wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Paul. Yes my Enginnering was in english. I got confused because I saw a guy from India mentioning about his Toffel score and he to had Engineering degree. And I know for sure that none of the universities in India awarding engineering degree has instruction medium any thing other then English.

Biren,

In case you have never taken any courses in a US school or haven't worked in US ever, you will require to take TOEFL to seek admission in any school here in US.

Regards,
Mohit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mohit, I checked Harvard school website. It states the following::

"In view of the participatory nature of the MBA Program, students must possess a highly developed proficiency in written and oral English. Candidates from non-English-speaking countries are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and/or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), unless they received their Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree, or PhD from an English-medium university. Scores more than two years old will not be accepted."

To me it clearly says what Paul has mentoned that if Bachelor's degree from an English medium university then taking TOEFL is not required.

But I am getting restless and not sure. May be if one of you guys actually know someone who is in a B school then it can be checked.

Please let me know if any one is sure about it.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Biren wrote:
Mohit, I checked Harvard school website. It states the following::

"In view of the participatory nature of the MBA Program, students must possess a highly developed proficiency in written and oral English. Candidates from non-English-speaking countries are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and/or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), unless they received their Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree, or PhD from an English-medium university. Scores more than two years old will not be accepted."

To me it clearly says what Paul has mentoned that if Bachelor's degree from an English medium university then taking TOEFL is not required.

But I am getting restless and not sure. May be if one of you guys actually know someone who is in a B school then it can be checked.

Please let me know if any one is sure about it.

Thanks.

Biren,

I am confident without an iota of doubt that all Grad Schools in US require TOEFL, if you have attended a school outside US in a country which doesn't have english as its first language. For Example, I went to an Engineering School in India. Four years back when I was fulfilled admission requirements for a MS program in US. I was required to submit a TOEFL score above 600 (That time TOEFL was paper based).

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
Mohit
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is substantial diversity in TOEFL requirements.

Some schools consider attending a school where the language of instruction is English or having lived in an English-speaking country for 3 years sufficient:

https://www.dartmouth.edu/tuck/mba/apply/faq.html

Some schools grant TOEFL waivers:

https://mba.mccombs.utexas.edu/admission ... p#apptoefl
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2