Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 05:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help pls !!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Need help pls !! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 12:28
Hi, I am new to this club and GMAT too.
I have completed my Engineering in 2007 in India and I was working in a software company for the past 4 years.
Now I am a home maker and I am planning to take GMAT exam after one year.
I was good at maths when I was in college but now I am completely out of touch. So please recommend best and affordable books for self preparation for cracking GMAT to get into any state colleges in NJ.
Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Need help pls !! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 13:50
kavithamba wrote:
I have completed my Engineering in 2007 in India and I was working in a software company for the past 4 years.
I was good at maths when I was in college but now I am completely out of touch. So please recommend best and affordable books for self preparation for cracking GMAT to get into any state colleges in NJ.
Thanks in advance.

Please reply
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: Need help pls !! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 14:28
Hi... welcome to the world of GMAT.

quants you should refer Manhattan books as they are the best guides for covering basics and have some gr8 questions also along with that you should do OG12.

verbal:
SC: Manhattan is bible devote maximum time on this book and do as many questions as you can from various sources like 1000 sc.
CR: I would suggest power score 800 for basics and Manhattan for further practice.
RC: Manhattan again

be active on GMAT club it will keep you aware about all the current discussions, new questions, methods etc. also please go through BB( Founder of GMAT club) tread about from where to start on gmat, books, guides, test preps etc.

Happy studying!!

kavithamba wrote:
kavithamba wrote:
Thanks in advance.

Please reply
Intern
Intern

Re: Need help pls !! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 08:13
Hi..

Thanks for your reply... :)

Do I need to buy Manhattan maths foundation book or will I be able to refresh through those 8 guides itself?
please advice.
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Need help pls !! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 09:10
Hi

Starting a preparation from the bottom always helps....But as you said you were good in quant...So go through MGMAT quant directly....They have 5 quant books and 3 verbal books...

Later if you face difficulty understanding the material...You always have an option to buy foundation books.....

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 66

Re: Need help pls !! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 19:14
Hi,
If you are planning to write the GMAT after 1 year, I believe it's too early to start your preparation.

3 months is the recommended time. People who extend their prep phase more than three months tend to burn out and perform sub-optimally. However, you can start building your foundation in maths.

There's a book called "Quantum CAT." The book has a lot of solved problems and the theory coverage is also pretty good. It's very good for self study. Unfortunately, it's available only in India. You will have to get someone from India to ship it to you. Also, it costs only Rs. 550. Compared to other GMAT prep books, this book is dirt cheap.

Once you get that book, spend around 1 hr every day learning concepts, making notes and solving problems. Although you're spending only 1hr a day, if you do it consistently, these small increments will add up and you'll see a remarkable improvement in the long run.

Plus, studying only 1 hr per day will prevent you from burning out.

Good luck...

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Re: Need help pls !!   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2011, 19:14