Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help with Study plan- GMAT retake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Need help with Study plan- GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 17:39
This post received
KUDOS
I am aggressively preparing for my second attempt at the GMAT. My first attempt was 45,36 in Q and V respectively for a 660.

My target school needs an average of 700 and i am an Indian male which make it imperative that i hit the 700+ mark.

I noticed that i was weak in verbal and got the powerscore CR guide which has helped to a certain extent. I also used MGMAT, Kaplan 800 (still in progress) and Og12.

MGMAT SC,RC

MGMAT FDP, NP, VICs, GEOMETRY, Word Translations

Powerscore bible.
In my second round:
The first MGMAT test i took i scored 750 Q48 and V44. i was extremely happy and continued more aggressively
The second test i took : i score 670! Q46 and V35
The third test i tried to slow down things as much and scored a 680. I noticed that around the 20 question i was at 85 percentile in quant and 92 in verbal around the half way mark. I ended with 78 and 81 percentile.

i did not write the AWA on which i scored a 6 in the first 3 exams. I plan to incorporate that from the next exam onwards. I took the first test in the evening and second and third test in the morning around 6am. I have always been a morning person!

My biggest problem seems to be time: I find my self left with 10 question and 10 minutes in the end!

I find it very hard to just guess in the end. I feel i can make an educated guess and hence read the question to stike out 2-3 options.

Also, One other problem i noticed is i took very long on certain quant questions- even upto 6 minutes!

I need some suggestions from you folks to correct what im doing wrong. Im at wits end and i want to take this test by march 14th. I plan to start taking the gmat club tests everyday from today and also doing 20-30 verbal problems everyday.

If i have not posted enough information for you to guide me,please do ask me anything that will help you guide me.

I have read the retake strategies and also the timing strategies. I will revisit the latter. if i continue like this i will have to postpone my exam and just go sign up for the Knewton money back guarantee!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 128 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with Study plan- GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 01:17
This post received
KUDOS
Hi dude :)

I think you'll find my debrief useful! I was in your position 2 months back :)
650 - with 37 on verbal and 44 on quant!

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with Study plan- GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 05:27
Entwistle wrote:

I read your post! thanks for helping me out!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 128 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with Study plan- GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
mbafall2011 wrote:
Entwistle wrote:

I read your post! thanks for helping me out!

By the way... When do you plan to take the test ;)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with Study plan- GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 07:23
My target was was before March 15th! I just reviewed my third manhattan test. Out of 37 i had 15 wrong. Out of those 15 i had silly errors in 10. I could easily solve these without time pressure. 6 other i had some shaky or unknown concepts.
8 in 700-800 questions and 2 in 600-700!
Even if i can convert 75% of the silly mistakes i can gain some advantage.

In verbal section i noticed that i got 16 out of 41 wrong!

6 silly mistakes
4 RC out of time
5 conceptual errors

Again if i can fix the concept and timing error i will be golden!

Any tips on improving the silly mistakes? I plan to practice Kaplan 800 and OG. I will also start giving the gmat club tests now that i am close to 200 posts!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2287

Kudos [?]: 8912 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need help with Study plan- GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 09:01
Expert's post
Here is of course the retake thread for you to consider perusing: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

My advice would be not to wait a long time (which you are not) and not to kill yourself - sometimes people score much better just because of resting and getting more comfortable with the test center environment.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with Study plan- GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 09:44
bb wrote:
Here is of course the retake thread for you to consider perusing: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

My advice would be not to wait a long time (which you are not) and not to kill yourself - sometimes people score much better just because of resting and getting more comfortable with the test center environment.

bb, thanks for your encouraging words! I took my first gmat on April 12 2010. I couldnt find time to prepare for a retake till January 2011 due to excessive work pressure.

I have gone through this thread many times. I have also memorized the timing strategies.

From today i plan to implement certain changes:
1) Always spend 5 seconds to rephrase the question in my mind and map out an approach.
2) Any question where im not sure about the concept is going to become a flash card. I will make a word document with questions and answers on the front and back.
3) Never take more than 3 minutes per question.
4) In case of a time crunch- i will guess blindly (currently i try to do an educated guess by ruling out certain options) on alternate questions

Saturday and Sunday , i am going to do a marathon of working out questions of all types. I will time myself. I scored 750 on the first MGMAT test- that has got to have some valuable information which will analyze.

Hopefully if things go as per my plan i will take another test next week. I feel im so close to greatness - the only thing holding me back is the silly mistakes!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2287

Kudos [?]: 8912 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need help with Study plan- GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 10:06
Expert's post
All are fantastic tips/strategies to follow.

I recommend saving any questions you miss. print them out Print Screen or smth like that - you want to make sure you can answer all questions.
Also, reading helps :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with Study plan- GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 06:11
Took the 4th MGMAT test yesterday. I scored 700 (43q,41v)

I do feel better about verbal. Some of my strategies worked in verbal but i feel so awful about quant. Some strategies i implemented during the exam did help but i cannot seem to shake off the habit of making silly mistakes. When i reviewed my questions i was able to solve 10 more questions without a sweat.

Only about 3-4 of them were conceptual. From today i intend to get the maximum out of gmat club tests.

I must pay attention to the question more deeply.
Re: Need help with Study plan- GMAT retake   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2011, 06:11