Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Langone Spring 2009

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 11:18
applicant2 wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. How did you go about finding a new employer?

The reason that I ask is that I am planning on attending the NYU Langone program this spring. However, over the past couple of months it has become increasingly clear to me that I may not have a job in the next 6 months given the financial difficulties that my company is having. Will NYU Langone provide any services to help me find a new job or am I pretty much on my own?

I used monster.com. I intended to see what NYU could do to help me, but I lucked into this new potential job before I had the chance… (we're in the final neg. period after a few interviews, but it looks very good at this point.) I honestly thought a transition would take 4 - 8 months in this economy.

But yes, Langone provides the career center for working professionals (CCWP), which you’ll learn about during pre-term. I hear that they have a little soul searching to do, but I do think they are trying to get on the right track. I am 100% certain that if you call them and tell them you are thinking about attending, they’d give you much more info than I can (212-998-0235).

Around the time that Lehman had their thing, they had this:

CCWP Presents: Life after a Lay-off: Creating a Targeted Job Search Strategy

Learn about important first steps to take after a job lay-off, how to prepare for a job search in a targeted and proactive way,
effective networking practices, and how to leverage the CCWP and Stern resources to help facilitate a job transition.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008
6:30-8:00pm
KMC, Room 5-50

So at least they respond to current affairs!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 11:50
SV6 wrote:
Got in!!

But i am still thinking about career services that Part time students are offered with..

Those who got in, how are you guys planning about your post mba career. Are you going to stay in current jobs? I am right now in IT but interested in consulting job in Healthcare industry. Since part-timers are not allowed to take participate in Fulltime recruiting, is it easy to get into the consulting once MBA is completed? Anyone who is currently at Stern through some light on this? I know its difficult to change career through part-time but really interested if there is any change in stern career services which can helpout students in this aspect.

Also, is anyone interested in Outgoing Exchange International Program offered by Stern? I am interested in this, but not sure how this will work for part-timers. My employer will not allow me to take break for 6 months. In that case i have to leave my current job and look for another once i complete the semister outside US. But doesn't stern require to have part-timers employeed during course work... :?

Few quick things...

1) You can do a career change with a part-time MBA; just don’t wait for the MBA to begin your career change. You should look for a transitional job right away and focus on developing yourself in that new career track as you are completing your degree. In 3 years, you’ll have both the background and the pedigree MBA, which should open the sr. level jobs to you.

2) I am pretty sure they mentioned the DBI (doing business in...) program at pre-term and that it's open to Langone students.

3) I don't think anyone will know or care whether you're working or not, as long as you pay your tuition bill. No one has come to class asking us for pay stubs!
Manager
Manager

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 11:53
bozo190101 wrote:
Just got my admit letter..Finally...considering I was a reapplicant..this is a huge relief. :)
Good luck to all waiting.

Hey, congrats! At long last, huh? What happened to you last cycle was unfair IMO, yet it looks like it all worked out!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 18:38
Hey guys n gals,

Would any of the Gmatclub Langone admits be interested in a small after work meet & greet session somewhere in NYC ? We could probably meet up in a bar somewhere in mid-town or downtown depending on where it is convenient for most of us.

This way we dont have to wait for the official Spring kickoff and can get to know each other before.

Any takers ?

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:13
Neelesh

I am definetly interested. I am based out of north Jersey so might be tough for me during the week. All depends on what happens at work that day. I dont know if weekend is an option at all. Either way I will try to be there.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 08:11
Sounds great, maybe Jersey City could be a good compromise depending on the location of others interested and day. The best places are in the city of course (nice wine bar or sthing like that, hope you were not thinking of Star$$$ =)
Let's see how many others are interested.
Best
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 18:30
Only three so far....come on folks!!!

P.S: DB Count is 291 as of 12/5 9.30PM

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish

Manager
Manager

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 19:51
I'll come out. Tho I am out of the country till the 15th.

neelesh wrote:
Only three so far....come on folks!!!

P.S: DB Count is 291 as of 12/5 9.30PM
Manager
Manager

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 19:52
Does anyone know how much to budget for books every semester assuming I take 6 credits
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 12:38
Do we need to finish the Math exam first before we register? I know the deadline for registration is 1/08/2009.

thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 12:48
I believe that it is the same deadline for both in no real order.
I recommend that you study the CD over a weekend and take the test right at the end.
Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 07:53
Hi guys,

Congratulations to those accepted, and good luck to all on the waiting list.

I am on the waiting list for Spring 09. Will it eventually resolve into YES or NO decisions? If so, will the candidates be notified?

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, NYU

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 11:31
Anyone else here already starting to prepare for the Fall'09 application? ie..GMAT, application...

A New Yorker's MBA Journey Yo!
http://xlick.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 12:06
snoasis wrote:
Hi guys,

Congratulations to those accepted, and good luck to all on the waiting list.

I am on the waiting list for Spring 09. Will it eventually resolve into YES or NO decisions? If so, will the candidates be notified?

Thanks in advance

I am in the same situation. I am still wait listed for Spring'09. I have no idea when a decision will be made, but I am sure we will be notified either way (Admit or Deny).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 08:17
May I ask whom has taken the Math Exam?
is the exam more similar with the CD contents or with GMAT Math contents?

Thank you.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 09:42
This post received
KUDOS
DB 297 as of 12:43 pm, 12/11.
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 09:43
I'd say 98% the CD, but when you study the CD you might have to pull some of your GMAT notes.
Again, I recommend that you go through the CD over a weekend, do all the practice exercises, and take the test right after. You can always Google some stuff while taking the test =) E.g. if you forgot the derivative of e^n

Well, if you are super confident with your quant skills, use those skills everyday and scored a 750+ on the GMAT then you can give it shot right away. I f you have any hesitation, simply follow the normal process… the CD.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 10:51
Any idea why they aren't letting wait listed people know? I am still on it as well, and can't understand why they keep so many in limbo if clearly there are very few (if any) spots left.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
ab81 wrote:
Any idea why they aren't letting wait listed people know? I am still on it as well, and can't understand why they keep so many in limbo if clearly there are very few (if any) spots left.

Some people may have sent a waitlist reply that indicated that they are planning to retake the GMAT during the wait so adcom may be waiting for that info. I thought this was just a rumor but I was on the waitlist and they waited until my new GMAT scores came in before admitting me.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 12:29
I took a slightly different approach. I started going through the topics in the CD. The first 2 modules were very easy so I wondered what the test would be like. So I logged in to the test and took a peek ! There is no penalty for looking at the test, and you can also do 2-3 questions at a time and save the test. Only when you submit it counts towards an "Attempt".

After looking at the test, I had a simple game plan. I reviewed the last 2 modules of the CD (logarithms and derivatives). These are generally never tested in GMAT. After I practiced these topics the test was easy. If you are good at general quant, compound interest, logarithms and derivates I would say you can score 80% without the CD. If not strongly suggest reviewing the CD and completing all the practice material on it before the test.

Good Luck !

soe2008 wrote:
I'd say 98% the CD, but when you study the CD you might have to pull some of your GMAT notes.
Again, I recommend that you go through the CD over a weekend, do all the practice exercises, and take the test right after. You can always Google some stuff while taking the test =) E.g. if you forgot the derivative of e^n

Well, if you are super confident with your quant skills, use those skills everyday and scored a 750+ on the GMAT then you can give it shot right away. I f you have any hesitation, simply follow the normal process… the CD.

Good luck!
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2008, 12:29