Last visit was: 20 Sep 2024, 16:58 It is currently 20 Sep 2024, 16:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Tuck, Kellogg, Sloan, Stanford, Haas, Cornell, LBS, UCLA
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink]
Kinda late on this thread... but a good idea to start a thread for the Desis out here..

Profile - 700(Q49, v35, 5.5)/ 24/ Male/ 2 yrs as product consultant with Telecom services firm and 2 yrs in sales/BD at Retail startup/ Indian from India/ B.E (Electornics)/ Top pvt. engg institute in India/GPA 3.0/ 4yrs at matriculation/ very strong ECs/ founded a non-profit

Schools applied -

Tuck - EA - dinged w/o interview
Sloan - R1 - dinged w/o interview
Kellogg - R1 - dinged w/o interview
Stanford - R1 - under review
Haas - R1 - under review

Cornell - R3 - yet to apply
Duke R2 - yet to apply
UCLA Anderson - yet to apply

Well my journey has been difficult and different. Most alums and current students who reviewed my essays felt that I could be a shoe-in into many of the top schools. However, the sad part is that I wasn't even interviewed. So I am just trying my luck with R2 apps.

Good luck to ya all...!
Current Student
Send PM
IvyStallion
Kinda late on this thread... but a good idea to start a thread for the Desis out here..

Profile - 700(Q49, v35, 5.5)/ 24/ Male/ 2 yrs as product consultant with Telecom services firm and 2 yrs in sales/BD at Retail startup/ Indian from India/ B.E (Electornics)/ Top pvt. engg institute in India/GPA 3.0/ 4yrs at matriculation/ very strong ECs/ founded a non-profit

Schools applied -

Tuck - EA - dinged w/o interview
Sloan - R1 - dinged w/o interview
Kellogg - R1 - dinged w/o interview
Stanford - R1 - under review
Haas - R1 - under review

Cornell - R3 - yet to apply
Duke R2 - yet to apply
UCLA Anderson - yet to apply

Well my journey has been difficult and different. Most alums and current students who reviewed my essays felt that I could be a shoe-in into many of the top schools. However, the sad part is that I wasn't even interviewed. So I am just trying my luck with R2 apps.

Good luck to ya all...!
If I may suggest something, it is your GMAT that may be partially responsible for the dings at those top schools. Indian with GMAT lower than school average is not so good in the eyes of the adcom... Your verbal needs a bit of an improvement.
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Tuck, Kellogg, Sloan, Stanford, Haas, Cornell, LBS, UCLA
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Yes.. I know that. However, with the very hectic work schedules (I report to the CEO who micro manages me like crazy) its really difficult to get time out to prepare. So I just presumed that if I can make it up with my work-ex, essays and recos I should atleast be able to reach an interview. But sadly, I couldn't manage a call from any of them. Not sure what Haas and Stanford have in store
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance/Investment management
Schools:Chicago (admitted), Harvard (interviewed), Ross (interviewed), Stern (Submitted), Wharton (R2), Stanford (R2)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Hey guys,

Great thread!!

Sorry for my being late.

Profile: 760/M/BTech, IIT/CFA L3 candidate/3+ yrs work ex: Consulting -> Buy side research --> Fund management (just joined, doesn't reflect in apps)/Active in NGOs

Applied: Harvard

Applied: Chicago Booth

Applied: Ross Michigan

Applied: NYU Stern

Applied: ISB

R2 applications: Stanford, Wharton

Guys, can someone let me know what withdrawing an application means?

M
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
When someone withdraws their application at a BSchool, it is no longer considered by the adcom. They just drop it. You do not get a decision. People usually do it when they get their target school as it opens up possible spots for others in Wait list.

coolmayank123
Hey guys,

Great thread!!

Sorry for my being late.

Profile: 760/M/BTech, IIT/CFA L3 candidate/3+ yrs work ex: Consulting -> Buy side research --> Fund management (just joined, doesn't reflect in apps)/Active in NGOs

M
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance/Investment management
Schools:Chicago (admitted), Harvard (interviewed), Ross (interviewed), Stern (Submitted), Wharton (R2), Stanford (R2)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
spideyeclipse27
When someone withdraws their application at a BSchool, it is no longer considered by the adcom. They just drop it. You do not get a decision. People usually do it when they get their target school as it opens up possible spots for others in Wait list.

coolmayank123
Hey guys,

Great thread!!

Sorry for my being late.

M

Tnks mate, just saw the answer in the first page too.

Also, one small clarification regarding a prior post. Chicago is yet to guarantee non-cosignor loans, but it is working hard. Schools such as Duke and Darden have also made some progress on that front.
Lets pray :-D .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Kudos
From 690-760:

One of my GMATclub friends suggested that I post a write-up about my GMAT journey. I will also chip-in my MBA journey and personal life along the way ;) Hope this inspires some.

The first time I ever took the GMAT was in April 2006 and I scored a 690. I was unhappy as I expected to score a 710 and more so because, a the impression a 690 creates is very different from a 700; the human brain is funny :wink: I thought taking the GMAT again but never got around to that because of busy work life and laziness. I sent in my apps for Fall 2008 and got dinged at all schools without interviews. I got my profile reviewed by couple of guys in gmatclub and the possible reasons were lower GMAT score for an Indian, only 3 years WE, and essays needed a better underlying story-they were only experiences at that point!

Anyway, by Feb 2007, I reminded myself that with only 3 years of WE I was only testing the waters for Fall 09 program. I decided to retake the GMAT and bump it up to a possible 730-740. Work was hectic all through summer and Fall this year but, I prepared everyday for a couple of months, did a LOT of practice Qs and tests. IMO, the only books most people need are
Official Guide,
Kaplan GMAT 800 (the toughest Qs),
GMAT verbal (personal choice),
Power Prep software (2 tests)
Manhattan CATS (https://www.manhattangmat.com/Store.cfm $39) - you can find an online coupon to get it for $26
Personally, I liked Manhattan CATs a lot for 2 reasons, the next closest thing to power prep software.

Regarding the preparation, I found a website called GMAT Tutor (https://www.gmattutor.com/gameplan.html) They have few study plans you can choose from. I customized the 300 hour game plan. Personally, I like a study plan for obvious reasons. I skipped all the LSAT material.
The first time around I got a split of 47/38 and my goal was 50/40

while (!target_score_not_achieved) | (time_available)
{
1. Take a power prep Test and find your current score and weak areas.
2. Improve those areas with preparation material
3. Practice, practice, practice (GMAT is a test which can be mastered with practice)
}

The week of the test, I retook the official tests 4 times as this helps me get accustomed to the interface and the actual test was like a practice test. On the day of the exam, I selected a time of 3:00 pm. I took a banana for a quick snack between the sections. I scored around 730-760 on the practice tests in Manhattan CATs and official software. The real GMAT was a breeze, I finished the verbal section with 35 min to go. It was very gratifying to see a 760 flash on the screen :-D 3 weeks, after my GMAT i got engaged :-D I came back from India, and the next 2 months flew by applying for schools. I will get married in summer 2009 and most of these days, I keep thinking oh how to make the most of first year of marriage and MBA :? That should be fun!

Thanks for reading and good luck with whatever you are doing.
Current Student
Send PM
pretty impressive sipdyeclipse.. All the best for your marriage and MBA.
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
spideyeclipse27
From 690-760:

One of my GMATclub friends suggested that I post a write-up about my GMAT journey. I will also chip-in my MBA journey and personal life along the way ;) Hope this inspires some.

The first time I ever took the GMAT was in April 2006 and I scored a 690. I was unhappy as I expected to score a 710 and more so because, a the impression a 690 creates is very different from a 700; the human brain is funny :wink: I thought taking the GMAT again but never got around to that because of busy work life and laziness. I sent in my apps for Fall 2008 and got dinged at all schools without interviews. I got my profile reviewed by couple of guys in gmatclub and the possible reasons were lower GMAT score for an Indian, only 3 years WE, and essays needed a better underlying story-they were only experiences at that point!

Anyway, by Feb 2007, I reminded myself that with only 3 years of WE I was only testing the waters for Fall 09 program. I decided to retake the GMAT and bump it up to a possible 730-740. Work was hectic all through summer and Fall this year but, I prepared everyday for a couple of months, did a LOT of practice Qs and tests. IMO, the only books most people need are
Official Guide,
Kaplan GMAT 800 (the toughest Qs),
GMAT verbal (personal choice),
Power Prep software (2 tests)
Manhattan CATS (https://www.manhattangmat.com/Store.cfm $39) - you can find an online coupon to get it for $26
Personally, I liked Manhattan CATs a lot for 2 reasons, the next closest thing to power prep software.

Regarding the preparation, I found a website called GMAT Tutor (https://www.gmattutor.com/gameplan.html) They have few study plans you can choose from. I customized the 300 hour game plan. Personally, I like a study plan for obvious reasons. I skipped all the LSAT material.
The first time around I got a split of 47/38 and my goal was 50/40

while (!target_score_not_achieved) | (time_available)
{
1. Take a power prep Test and find your current score and weak areas.
2. Improve those areas with preparation material
3. Practice, practice, practice (GMAT is a test which can be mastered with practice)
}

The week of the test, I retook the official tests 4 times as this helps me get accustomed to the interface and the actual test was like a practice test. On the day of the exam, I selected a time of 3:00 pm. I took a banana for a quick snack between the sections. I scored around 730-760 on the practice tests in Manhattan CATs and official software. The real GMAT was a breeze, I finished the verbal section with 35 min to go. It was very gratifying to see a 760 flash on the screen :-D 3 weeks, after my GMAT i got engaged :-D I came back from India, and the next 2 months flew by applying for schools. I will get married in summer 2009 and most of these days, I keep thinking oh how to make the most of first year of marriage and MBA :? That should be fun!

Thanks for reading and good luck with whatever you are doing.

Good luck mate! thanks for sharing your journey.
Own Kudos [?]: 1704 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Outstanding spidey. Would you also like to comment on what you improved in your essays this year ?
spideyeclipse27
From 690-760:
Current Student
Send PM
bsd_lover
Outstanding spidey. Would you also like to comment on what you improved in your essays this year ?
spideyeclipse27
From 690-760:
bsd, I thought you already have an admit. Are you thinking of reapplying?
Own Kudos [?]: 1704 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
No I'm done with my apps (thank god) - this is for the benefit of everyone else out there. Spidey has turned around a season of all dings into outstanding admits. And he did it coming from the toughest pool. I'm interested in knowing more.

aakashganga
bsd_lover
spideyeclipse27
From 690-760:
bsd, I thought you already have an admit. Are you thinking of reapplying?
Current Student
Send PM
spideyeclipse27, I too am interested in knowing about how you approached the reapplication. Tell us exactly what you did and what you changed.

It would be super helpful for some of us.
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
My essays last year were good experiences but lacked a demonstration of clarity of goals and a common point tying them together. This year, using the comments of fellow GMAT clubbers I rewrote them. Moreover, during the past year at work, I had some good experiences where I demonstrated leadership and I could effectively use them in my essays and interviews. I would also highly recommend going to schools. Couple of good reads would be "How to get into Top Business schools" and "Your MBA Game Plan". Your essays would come out better when each paragraph in your essays answers the question or part of the question directly. Leadership experiences at work are highly valued. One need not exactly be a team lead to show leadership in my opinion. Just show how your demonstrated potential leadership qualities and you should be fine.

I shall be glad to give feedback on your essays if you think you need a second opinion.

bsd_lover
spideyeclipse27
From 690-760:
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Hey Tarun,

The problem with our profiles is that there are far too many of us and all of us seem alike on paper. You have to differentiate yourself in your essays and with your GMAT. For an Indian/Male/Engineer,IT a higher GMAT score would not guarantee admission but IMHO a lower GMAT would definitely be bad.

No, I do not have managerial experience, but I do have good work leadership experiences in the last year I could talk about. An effective goals essay would have a clear goal and how an MBA an will help you get it. Be clear on what you want to do. Many MBAs do change their goals in their 1st year and schools know this. But look at it this way, imagine yourself in their shoes and which one would you prefer- an applicant without a goal or a less clear goal or someone who talks about a goal and know how an MBA will get him there.

tarunmalik
seems like u and i have quite similar profiles...yet results r quite different.....

any advice on how to come up with an effetive goals essay and resume? seems like these could be the problem areas...

just curious....do u have any managerial exp?
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Thanks Pawan. Wish you the very best too.
pawan203
spideyeclipse27
From 690-760:

Good luck mate! thanks for sharing your journey.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks everyone for informative posts. Spidey thank you for the debrief.

Aakashganga, regarding my essays, I do not think there was any exceptional factor, the only thing was that I researched the schools very much, and tried to put forward why I want to attend the school. I had a feedback from Tuck last year, which helped. They asked me to always give an example of the post-mba career ( better if you write the company name even). And also they told me when I write contribution essay, I must mention what Tuck Class will miss if I am not in the class. The person giving feedback specifically mentioned that things such as, I am good at Indian cooking and all should not be there( some people apparently wrote that). Actually, my CBS essays were much better and even the interview was outstanding. The interviewer ( at Mumbai an adcom lady came to interview) was extremely impressed and she mentioned it several times during the finishing stage of the interview. But I was dinged!!

Anyway, I always thought about writing a debrief abt the whole MBA admission process for the perspective of an Indian from India, after the admission hullabaloo is over. I thought it would be helpful for many since there are several negatives and challenges in my profile ( age: 31 at matriculation, low WE: only 4 years at matriculation, no great brandname, no peer applying, juggling between toddler at home and work in office etc.). But right now, the time when I was supposed to be drowned in ecstacy, is proving to nightmarish!Not only the citiassist part, Things have suddenly taken a bad turn in job front. But I will surely write a detailed debrief the moment things become a li'l sane.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderator:
BSchool Forum Moderator
0 posts