Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate My Profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Please Evaluate My Profile [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 21:07
Please evaluate my profile - Specific questions are at the end

Demographics: Indian/Male/23

GMAT: Yet to take

Education

DELHI UNIVERSITY, Faculty Of Technology -- New Delhi, India (Aug 2006 – Jun 2010)
Bachelor Of Engineering, Manufacturing Processes & Automation SCORE: 74.0 %

Senior School Certificate (CBSE, India) -- 90.8 % (2006)
Secondary School Certificate (CBSE, India) -- 95.0% (2004)

Work Experience

Working as Drilling Fluids Engineer in one of the top 2 Energy Services company in the world. (July 2010 - Present)
I provide technical consultation and the following On-site services to clients:
• Drilling fluids formulation and maintenance. • Contingency management
• Fluid testing and well site data analysis • Documentation and costing
• Inventory & associated logistics management • Ensuring adherence to HS&E standards

Its a high responsibility job because when I am working on site, I solely represent my company to the client on the field. People management or leading people is a part of my job. Due to surprising nature of oil drilling, I often have to improvise and think out of the box.
I have work experience in India, Houston(USA) , Papua New Guinea, Indonesia.
The nature of my work provides a fair share of international experience for work as well as training. I also get frequent opportunities to work with expats when working in India.

Extra-curricular

• Freelanced on a industrial consulting project for a small scale production firm in India. Because of the great results of the project ,the company granted me another project next summer for one of their sister concerns.
• Worked as summer intern in a business modelling firm in India.
• Served as the Convener for the annual cultural festival of my college. Led a team of about 120 people.
• Served as PR coordinator of an NGO of the New Delhi region for an year.
• Worked as creative head in the filming of the first ever promotional video for my college.
• Served as Head of Student Council in school - led various teams in cultural, academic, technical and sports event managment.
INTERESTS: • Fitness Training Enthusiast • Amateur Nutritionist • Avid Basketballer • Science Fiction Reader

At present, I am not able to devote time for social work due to my hectic schedule. I use most of my free time (which is very less usually) to prepare for GMAT.

Post MBA Goals
Management level jobs preferably in the energy sector. I am keenly interested in energy sector consulting and hence open for jobs in general management consulting firms but in relevant roles.

Please provide a general evaluation.

I have the following specific queries:

1. Please let me know about the strengths and weaknesses of my profile. And any advice on how to improve/correct them to suit my goals. Also, if you don't mind letting me know which part of my applications may be too unproductive to mention.
2. Since, I have been working only for 15 months now, how much work experience should I gain in order to achieve desired goals?
3. What kind of MBA programs should I approach to suit my goals? How would you compare a general MBA to MBA in Oil & Gas Management for my profile? Also, suggest some schools (if possible) which would best serve my interests.
4. All of my extracurricular activities, except for my personal interests as listed, are a thing of the past now. This is due to the hectic nature of my work. Is a that a negative point?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
HKUST Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE: Operations (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Please Evaluate My Profile [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 22:25
It's great to see that you have non-IT experience and have had a chance to work in other countries. Assuming that the international exposure in each of the places you have mentioned is over 3 months, you stand a good chance to get into many schools. A 2 year course would be ideal for you at this point in time. You should try and figure out where you want to work out of in the future. This would help you short list schools.
Try refining you Post MBA goals and focusing on one sector in particular as in the wind, solar or nuclear energy.. the list could go on but the more focused you are the better it always is.

That apart, try and see what someone i you your company[some one you look upto] has done and whether it's something you might want to do.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please Evaluate My Profile [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 00:13
Thanks vgr for your opinion.

I have some financial constraints and personal responsibilities due to which pursuing an MBA is a little tough for me at this point in time. I wish to save some money till I gain about 5 years work experience. (Planning for long term goals to enhance my chances) What type of program should I focus on then? A 2 year program or Executive MBA?

I would really like to work in Europe as there is a lot of scope for Alternate Energy services in Europe especially in countries like Norway, Iceland etc. But these goals are subject to change with time and as I gain more experience.

Presently, I am working in hardcore Oil/Gas exploration. Therefore, I would like to stay in this sector. Though, I am open to other Energy services after MBA, I feel post MBA I will be able to use my expertise in this field to advantage if I stay in this sector.

I have a couple of more questions:
1. What is your opinion about my ECs? What can I do improve them?
2. Your take on the strengths and weaknesses in profile.

Thanks
HKUST Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE: Operations (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Please Evaluate My Profile [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 01:07
Hardcore oil/gal explorations can be real tough in harsh climates. 5 years of work experience is ideal for an executive MBA. Since you don't want to switch careers and are sure that you want to continue in the energy field, a one year course is what you should be looking to do. It would also be a whole lot cheaper than the traditional 2 year MBA.
It's good that you want to work in Europe but I would suggest you start trying to pick up native languages of the places you want to go to ASAP.
Addressing your first question, as far as your extra curricular activities go, the adcoms [admission committees] basically want to see if you are genuine. You seem to have varied ECs It doesn't have to be social work, it could be playing basketball for a club or even teaching they want to see if you are consistent. So pick anything and do it at least once a week. If you're unable to find time [a couple of hours a week] then the ad-coms see it as a lack of time management. It's good that you are preparing for your GMAT but try and sneak some time out for other stuff as well. To show consistency, you could maybe make a video for your company or continue serving as a PR co-ordinator..
The second, your strength would definitely lie in the fact that you have had good global exposure weakness that I see, from what ever little information I currently see about you, is your ability to manage time!
Hope this helps. Here's an article i bumped into for further reading.
Code:
h tt p : // www . find-mba. com / article / 314 / can-an-mba-spark-a-career-in-the-energy-industry
Take the spaces out
Intern
Intern

Re: Please Evaluate My Profile [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 01:24
Thanks a lot vgr !!

I have already read the article your provided. Thanks anyways.

I will definitely work on your advice and try to manage time to devote to some extracurricular activities. :)
Re: Please Evaluate My Profile   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2011, 01:24