Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please, suggestions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Please, suggestions [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 10:00
Hy guys, I'm writing this post because I really need some advice from you. I've been preparing for the gmat for almost 4 months, every day studying an avarage of 3-4 hours. After attending a Veritas Preparetion Course of 7 weeks I did my first two gmat practice tests and I got two 580, but in the first I scored very high in math (45) and poorly in the verbal and in the second the situation was the opposite (37 verbal, 25 math if I remember well). Not happy of my results, I decided to continue studying in order to improve my scores and thanks to this forum I could understand what books to buy and what practice tests to take. So, I used the following:

- Official guide 12th edition, plus verbal e quant books:
- Manhattan Sentence correction (wonderful);
- Critical reasoning bible.

The thing is that: I used the five 800.score CATS, 2 Manhattan CATS and I'm currently using the Gmat club tests. I really don't know what could be my potential score at the test day, because I had totally different results from these test:

- 800.scores tests (I found the quant part extremely challenge, requiring a lot, a lot of calculation and intuition. I scored poorly):

Verbal Quant
800score 39 38 640
800score 40 38 650
800score 34 0
800score 37 0

- Manhattan Cat (I've also found them very challenging, in particular I realized that after doing well a couple of problems the algorithm already gives you 700-800 questions, and they are very trick and difficult. I had to do this test untimed because I was not able to answer the 700 questions in 2 minutes. I needed nearly 4 min for quest. I hope the real gmat is easier, otherwise I could just dream on a 650-700).

Verbal Quant
Manhattan 1 - 46
Manhattan 2 31 48

Gmat Club tests - I found them more easy than the 700 manhattan cat questions (for me as difficult as those of the 800.score cats), but even though I have an avarage of 27-30 question right over 37, my percentile is 50-60%. At this point I don't understand if these tests are condidered difficult for the % they give you or for the question by themselves. In the Manhattan Cat you can get a 46-47 even if you have answered incorrectly 15-17 questions.

This said, I'm not able to predict what could be my final gmat score and what is the best aproximation of the real thing (apart of the Gmat preparetion CATS). I hope 800.scores and Manhattan CATS are far away from the real Gmat. Furthermore, are the gmat club test questions similar to the 650-700 question of the real Gmat??? I hope so, because in this way I could have good chance to do correctly 25-32 questions at a 650-700 level. Please helppppppp
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 53

Re: Please, suggestions [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
nicolosurdo wrote:
Hy guys, I'm writing this post because I really need some advice from you. I've been preparing for the gmat for almost 4 months, every day studying an avarage of 3-4 hours. After attending a Veritas Preparetion Course of 7 weeks I did my first two gmat practice tests and I got two 580, but in the first I scored very high in math (45) and poorly in the verbal and in the second the situation was the opposite (37 verbal, 25 math if I remember well). Not happy of my results, I decided to continue studying in order to improve my scores and thanks to this forum I could understand what books to buy and what practice tests to take. So, I used the following:

- Official guide 12th edition, plus verbal e quant books:
- Manhattan Sentence correction (wonderful);
- Critical reasoning bible.

The thing is that: I used the five 800.score CATS, 2 Manhattan CATS and I'm currently using the Gmat club tests. I really don't know what could be my potential score at the test day, because I had totally different results from these test:

- 800.scores tests (I found the quant part extremely challenge, requiring a lot, a lot of calculation and intuition. I scored poorly):

Verbal Quant
800score 39 38 640
800score 40 38 650
800score 34 0
800score 37 0

- Manhattan Cat (I've also found them very challenging, in particular I realized that after doing well a couple of problems the algorithm already gives you 700-800 questions, and they are very trick and difficult. I had to do this test untimed because I was not able to answer the 700 questions in 2 minutes. I needed nearly 4 min for quest. I hope the real gmat is easier, otherwise I could just dream on a 650-700).

Verbal Quant
Manhattan 1 - 46
Manhattan 2 31 48

Gmat Club tests - I found them more easy than the 700 manhattan cat questions (for me as difficult as those of the 800.score cats), but even though I have an avarage of 27-30 question right over 37, my percentile is 50-60%. At this point I don't understand if these tests are condidered difficult for the % they give you or for the question by themselves. In the Manhattan Cat you can get a 46-47 even if you have answered incorrectly 15-17 questions.

This said, I'm not able to predict what could be my final gmat score and what is the best aproximation of the real thing (apart of the Gmat preparetion CATS). I hope 800.scores and Manhattan CATS are far away from the real Gmat. Furthermore, are the gmat club test questions similar to the 650-700 question of the real Gmat??? I hope so, because in this way I could have good chance to do correctly 25-32 questions at a 650-700 level. Please helppppppp

nicolosurdo,

You shouldn't think about the level of difficulty of the questions when doing any of the tests or the level of questions that you got correct. There are a number of experimental questions on the real GMAT and that is what makes it different. Some say 1/5 of the questions are experimental others 1/4. It's best give your best shot at each question and move on.

I just found this article on 'How the GMAT Finds Your Score'. Hope it will be of some help.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/strategy-s ... -score.cfm

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 69

Re: Please, suggestions [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
The following is strictly my opinion and doesn't pretend to be anywhere near the truth :)

Nevertheless,

800score - These test are far from official thing. They may be difficult, but the problem is, question types are very unGMATlike (especially Quant section)

Manhattan GMAT Cats - These are the best CATs out there on the market apart from GAMTPrep CATs. I consider them bit tougher than real thing. Quant section is sometimes simply brutal. On the other hand, that's the kind of training you really need. For me personally, MGMAT CAT scores were on average 10-20 points higher than the score I got on exam (maybe that was simply matter of exam stress)

GMAT Club Tests - Not CAT, so i don't think it could be directly compared to exam.

So MGMAT CATs can really be a good approximation for exam, bu tnot 80score or Gmatclub tests

Last edited by shalva on 25 Aug 2010, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: Please, suggestions [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 23:01
I am in a similar situation like you. I have taken GMAT Prep Test 1 several times, so my score jumped from 660, 710 to 770. I am saving my GMAT Prep 2 for final 2 weeks before the exam. I tried MGMAT CAT and got 660 and everyone MGMAT CAT verbals are no way like the real one.

I dont know what else to try now to see where I stand. I am going to try Kaplan, 800score or other tests.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: Please, suggestions [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 04:21
shalva wrote:
The following is strictly my opinion and doesn't pretend to be anywhere near the truth :)

Nevertheless,

800score - These test are far from official thing. They may be difficult, but the problem is, question types are very unGMATlike (especially Quant section)

Manhattan GMAT Cats - These are the best CATs out there on the market apart from GAMTPrep CATs. I consider them bit tougher than real thing. Quant section is sometimes simply brutal. On the other hand, that's the kind of training you really need. For me personally, MGMAT CAT scores where on average 10-20 points higher than the score I got on exam (maybe that was simply matter of exam stress)

GMAT Club Tests - Not CAT, so i don't think it could be directly compared to exam.

So MGMAT CATs can really be a good approximation for exam, bu tnot 80score or Gmatclub tests

Is the verbal any good in 800score? I'd like to try it out. The Math section however is very difficult....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: Please, suggestions [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 13:22
I tried platinumgmat test today and got 650-660. They give you a range not the exact score. Q(47, 49) and V(31-33). I was surprised with the quality of the questions, it was much better than I expected.

also i has a link that you can send it to other to get feedback about your score.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Please, suggestions [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 06:22
I think that The Verbal section of 800.score tests is quite easy, at least for the final score and percentile it gives you. I wouldn't recommend to consider it as an aproximation of the real verbal thing.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Please, suggestions [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 12:23
Expert's post
If you're not having trouble with the GMATClub Test in terms of time and difficulty, then you should be fine for quant. I agree with shalva; GMATPrep and Manhattan have the best CAT's, in that order. Everything else is a step down in quality. Too many members have complained about the 800score resources. I don't recommend them. It would be better to reinstall the GMATPrep and use that instead.

While not official GMAT material, the Manhattan verbal section is not far from the actual test.

It's important to remember, though, that the real test will have a number of experimental questions that don't affect your score. The practice CAT's, regardless of the source (Kaplan, Manhattan, etc.) don't have those questions.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Please, suggestions [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 12:15
you allready got good advices.,
Re: Please, suggestions   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2011, 12:15