Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PRINCETON REVIEW 2004 : SCORING ALGORITHM

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 3

PRINCETON REVIEW 2004 : SCORING ALGORITHM [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 04:59
Well,

I appeared for the Princeton Review 2004 edition CAT.

Surprisingly, i scored a meagre 600 (q 42 v 30)
I can't imagine i scored so less in quant considering i got just the 1 question wrong (ie. 13th question) among the first 20 questions and a total of 7 questions wrong in the Math Section. No complaints about the Verbal Section though.

Could anyone enlighten me as to whether there is a problem in the software or is my score justified.

Thanks a ton!

Rgds/Prath.

My GMAT JOURNEY : 500 to 640 in a Month!! ---- > http://gmatclub.com/forum/finally-done-gmat-1-500-to-gmat-2-640-in-a-month-89600.html#p678289

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 381 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: PRINCETON REVIEW 2004 : SCORING ALGORITHM [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 07:54
Hello prathns,

Please note: The GMAT does not look at how many problems you scored incorrectly, rather it looks at the difficulty of the problems.

Someone could only miss 9 problems on the GMAT and score a 500
Someone could only miss 9 problems on the GMAT and score a 750

The strike rate on the GMAT is not really a concern on its own. If you want to look at strike rate, you must consider the difficulty of the problems.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: PRINCETON REVIEW 2004 : SCORING ALGORITHM [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 09:15
Hey, thanks mohater.

But like i mentioned that the only question that i got wrong was the 13th question amongst the first 20. So, I was wondering, if the CAT was adaptive then i might have dealt with the tougher questions early on, hence, my score should be decent. And the ones that i got wrong were pretty simple and right after question 23,just careless mistakes, so really don't think that those questions might have hampered my scores.

Kindly revert.

Thanks a ton.
Rgds/Prath.

My GMAT JOURNEY : 500 to 640 in a Month!! ---- > http://gmatclub.com/forum/finally-done-gmat-1-500-to-gmat-2-640-in-a-month-89600.html#p678289

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 381 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: PRINCETON REVIEW 2004 : SCORING ALGORITHM [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 10:01
prathns wrote:
Hey, thanks mohater.

But like i mentioned that the only question that i got wrong was the 13th question amongst the first 20. So, I was wondering, if the CAT was adaptive then i might have dealt with the tougher questions early on, hence, my score should be decent. And the ones that i got wrong were pretty simple and right after question 23,just careless mistakes, so really don't think that those questions might have hampered my scores.

Kindly revert.

Thanks a ton.
Rgds/Prath.

prathns,

Please understand, we do not know the algorithm for Princeton, Kaplan, MGMAT, GMAC or any other test or test prep company. You will need to contact Princeton to know if its test (the 2004 version you are using) is adaptive or not.

Also, regardless of what your extrapolations are, a careless mistake is still a mistake and it is possible to make careless mistakes on the real test.

I am not trying to be mean, but what you "think" is irrelevant here. That is the score the test gave you. You can check the practice test review thread for more feedback on Princeton tests:
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: PRINCETON REVIEW 2004 : SCORING ALGORITHM [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 22:55
Hey, thanks man.

Well, I took another Princeton today, and you were absolutely right.

I scored a 49, but even then i had a total of 11 wrong. So, it is proved that the number of questions you get wrong has no bearing on your score. It is the number of tough questions that you get right. Most importantly, the questions were really tough, in comparison to the previous test.

The last score, was probably due to my misconception that I just have to keep the total no. of wrong answers down. Previously, I would just skip a tough question because i knew that I'd done pretty well in the previous questions and was under the cloud that just 1 wrong answer wouldn't hamper my score. And my word it did!

This is a huge mistake, and I'm glad I've realized it sooner rather than later.
So this is probably a good lesson to all the GMAT takers under the misconception that the number of questions you get wrong is a vital part in determining your score. Hence, you need to try and get as many tough questions right as you can!

Cheers And Thanks a ton man! Owe you one! :)

Re: PRINCETON REVIEW 2004 : SCORING ALGORITHM   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2009, 22:55