Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Tuck, Darden, Johnson
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 17:54
Thinking about applying next fall. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my chances and what I can do to improve my profile

WE: 4.5 yrs of full-time work experience by matriculation (class of '16) plus 4 internships (summer & pt during the school year)
First 2 years at a Fortune 50, largest energy services company by marketshare, leading small teams that designed energy conservation projects in buildings. Received a promotion after approximately 7 months with ~30% raise. Youngest person in new position by 5 years.
Poached by manager to join venture backed software start up that has developed algorithms to perform building energy audits remotely using utility data. One of the first 10-15 employees, wearing multiple hats in an engineering roll. Youngest employee at new company.

GMAT: 2nd Attempt-740 (48Q/44V, 6.0 AWA) , 1st Attempt-690 (6.0 AWA)

College: 2010 Boston University 2.8 GPA in my Mechanical Engineering. Earned concentrations in Energy Technologies and Environmental Engineering. Took grad level courses at Harvard Extension school in Stats and Finance, earned A's in both to show my commitment to grad school.

EC's: Undergrad - Energy Club, Engineers without Borders Post Grad- Started a community outreach group at my first company, raised money for homeless shelter, organized community service events

Certifications: Passed my FE exam (first step towards PE license), plan on getting CEM (Certified Energy Manager) and LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)

Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Haas, Columbia, Fuqua, Ross, Yale

Goals: Entrepreneurship or consulting in cleantech

Thank You
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 17:41
Expert's post
dfol13 wrote:
Thinking about applying next fall. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my chances and what I can do to improve my profile

WE: 4.5 yrs of full-time work experience by matriculation (class of '16) plus 4 internships (summer & pt during the school year)
First 2 years at a Fortune 50, largest energy services company by marketshare, leading small teams that designed energy conservation projects in buildings. Received a promotion after approximately 7 months with ~30% raise. Youngest person in new position by 5 years.
Poached by manager to join venture backed software start up that has developed algorithms to perform building energy audits remotely using utility data. One of the first 10-15 employees, wearing multiple hats in an engineering roll. Youngest employee at new company.

GMAT: 2nd Attempt-740 (48Q/44V, 6.0 AWA) , 1st Attempt-690 (6.0 AWA)

College: 2010 Boston University 2.8 GPA in my Mechanical Engineering. Earned concentrations in Energy Technologies and Environmental Engineering. Took grad level courses at Harvard Extension school in Stats and Finance, earned A's in both to show my commitment to grad school.

EC's: Undergrad - Energy Club, Engineers without Borders Post Grad- Started a community outreach group at my first company, raised money for homeless shelter, organized community service events

Certifications: Passed my FE exam (first step towards PE license), plan on getting CEM (Certified Energy Manager) and LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)

Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Haas, Columbia, Fuqua, Ross, Yale

Goals: Entrepreneurship or consulting in cleantech

Thank You

Were there extenuating circumstances that contributed to the 2.8? An upward trend? Anything...?

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Tuck, Darden, Johnson
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 11:42
I did work part-time as well with some of my internships but mostly just had a hard time adjusting because I had a very easy time getting straight A's in high school. No massive trend but did do a little better my last two years ~3.0.

That being said, a 2.8 in my program was not particularly low. They never published class rank but the average GPA across the entire university was a 3.04. In the engineering school deans list was consistently around 3.3 and a 3.2 at graduation would get you Cum Laude. I don't know how far that gets me without published class rank or class average on my transcript but a 2.8 was definitely not the bottom of the class.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 22:54
Expert's post
dfol13 wrote:
I did work part-time as well with some of my internships but mostly just had a hard time adjusting because I had a very easy time getting straight A's in high school. No massive trend but did do a little better my last two years ~3.0.

That being said, a 2.8 in my program was not particularly low. They never published class rank but the average GPA across the entire university was a 3.04. In the engineering school deans list was consistently around 3.3 and a 3.2 at graduation would get you Cum Laude. I don't know how far that gets me without published class rank or class average on my transcript but a 2.8 was definitely not the bottom of the class.

I think it's really important that you provide some context for your grades. Estimate that you were in the top 1/3, if you think you were, of engineering students -- or whatever you believe is accurate.

That being said, while your GMAT is great and your work experience is impressive, I think the GPA is going to make Wharton, Sloan, Tuck, and Haas unlikely acceptances. but there is no harm in trying. Your would be more competitive at Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, Ross, Fuqua, and Yale.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog