Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - reapply next year?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - reapply next year? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 14:29
Hi Alex,
It appears I missed out on the recent HBS interview invites and I'm in need of some cathartic advice. HBS was my number one choice and if I am dinged, I'd like to gather your thoughts on whether I have the credentials to reapply next year.
- 27, male, american
- 710 GMAT (though I was disappointed as I was scoring 760 in practice exams)
- 3.75 GPA in biogenetics from top 10 US public, graduated from honors college (top 5% of students) and published thesis
- 4 years of escalating student government experience, culminating in VP of student govt
- 5 years WE, promoted 4 times. Left management position at pharma company for a boutique healthcare consulting firm to pursue passion in healthcare and subsequently promoted there to same position as incoming MBA grads
- ECs since college include VP of local chapter alumni association, career coach to young professionals
- recommendations from direct supervisors at each job, one of whom was HBS grad and has been a strong advocate for me and mentor to me in my career development

I positioned my application around my very targeted career goals in healthcare. I didn't use any admissions consultancy and, due to extraneous circumstances, was forced to complete HBS application in 2 weeks. Two questions then: (1) Do you think my essays must have been weak or (2) do you think my credentials are insufficient?
I applied to a number of other top schools and I already know I'm accepted to one of them, but I HBS was my dream. Thoughts on reapply? I know I'm not getting any younger.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - reapply next year? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 10:28
Without seeing your essays, it's hard to say. However, your profile is competitive enough for HBS, but keep in mind that there's plenty of others who have had similarly competitive profiles *and* strong essays who didn't get an interview invite. So even if you had strong essays, you may still not have gotten the interview anyhow - it's simply that there are so many strong applicants who apply to HBS.

If you already got into another top school, I would just go. Spending another year in a holding pattern is spending a year in your life on hold. You're better off getting on with it - go to school this year, make the most of it, and get on with your career. It's easy to get hyper obsessed about b-school brands at this stage in your life, but believe me in 3-5 years time you will have a very different perspective (it's not as big a deal as you make it out to be).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation - reapply next year? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 02:23
Hi Alex,

My name is Siddharth. I would request you to evaluate my profile.

GMAt: 740
Education. B.E in EXTC (India)+MMS Finance(Mumbai university)
Work ex: 3 years in Project Finance. Working as Assistant Manager
GPA: 3.8+

I have also cleared the Level 2 of my CFA. Intend to clear the Level 3 this time or somewhere in 2015 definitely. I had applied to some schools in the US in the top 15. However I have received a reject from them. Have gt interview invites for a few safe schools from 16-25th rank.

Do you think I should be giving up on these(if I receive an admit) and consider applying next year. Would an additional year of work ex help if I target the top 15.I would be undertaking additional extracurriculars in this while. However I would not be able to make significant changes to my profile if I consider the GMAT and work ex.

I strongly believe a 3 year work ex till matriculation has been one of the major reasons for a reject and I stand good chances if I apply with an additional year of work ex.

What is your opinion on this?
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - reapply next year? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 07:48
sid090188 wrote:
Hi Alex,

I have also cleared the Level 2 of my CFA. Intend to clear the Level 3 this time or somewhere in 2015 definitely. I had applied to some schools in the US in the top 15. However I have received a reject from them. Have gt interview invites for a few safe schools from 16-25th rank.

Do you think I should be giving up on these(if I receive an admit) and consider applying next year. Would an additional year of work ex help if I target the top 15.I would be undertaking additional extracurriculars in this while. However I would not be able to make significant changes to my profile if I consider the GMAT and work ex.

I strongly believe a 3 year work ex till matriculation has been one of the major reasons for a reject and I stand good chances if I apply with an additional year of work ex.

Without seeing at least one of your applications, it's hard to say. Also, if your career has been based in India all this time, then top 16 schools are going to be stretches. In other words, the top 30 schools are where you'll likely have a better shot at anyhow, which is what ended up happening.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation - reapply next year? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 07:58
AlexMBAApply wrote:
sid090188 wrote:
Hi Alex,

Without seeing at least one of your applications, it's hard to say. Also, if your career has been based in India all this time, then top 16 schools are going to be stretches. In other words, the top 30 schools are where you'll likely have a better shot at anyhow, which is what ended up happening.

Would I have a better chance next year if I reapply but my work ex will be in India though. However I can improve upon my extra curriculars plus I believe that I being a young applicant would be a bigger reason. I can attest to the fact that my career goals and why MBA answers were well answered.

So do you feel I can make it next year if I apply somewhere in the top 16 or should I consider top 30 only. Please provide a realistic response as I would help me.thanks for your mail
Re: Profile Evaluation - reapply next year?   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2014, 07:58