Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 18:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 01:09
Chinese American, Age 22
GPA: 3.07, BS. Chem. Engr., Top 10 University (US News), Graduated in 3 years
GMAT: 740
Work Experience: 2 years at matriculation as a chemical engineer involved in commissioning/startups and process design. Worked for 6 months in Shanghai starting up a chemical plant with 3 different processes where I was given management roles and spoke Mandarin on a day to day basis.

I attended an advanced high school program which involved living on a college dorm and taking college courses full time during junior and senior years of high school. I have 66 hours of credits that do not have GPA due to being taken at another college. Accounting for those I have ~3.5 GPA. Not sure if business schools will look into this or if it's worth mentioning in an essay somewhere.

I would describe my undergraduate time as very unfocused. During the high school program, I found the classwork easy and rarely attended class. I was placed into chemical engineering by my school when I applied, and stuck with it. While classes were more difficult, I still had little to no direction in my studies. I tried a semester of research and played poker part-time to support myself. Not sure if I should mention poker as one of my work experiences as this was the first subject I was ever interested in and it involves some skills that translate to the business world. I didn't find out until my 3rd year how important work experience was in the engineering field and basically landed my job solely on my interviews.

My time in Shanghai drastically changed my career goals. I decided I did not want to be a career engineer, and I wanted to be involved in business development, specifically for emerging technologies and industries such as green technology or new platforms like cloud computing. This is probably the first time in my life that I've had any real goals, and I feel like I've just been going with the flow until now. I've taken a number of initiatives since then as a result of my newfound goals, including being a founding member of a green technology initiative within my company analyzing processes with green metrics. Additionally, I've spent a number of hours outside of work reading papers, books, reports, or anything I can about the fields I'm interested in.

I really want to get into H/S/W as I feel these schools will help develop the skill sets I lack. I am especially interested in the Wharton Lauder Institute program. How viable is my application for these programs? How should I structure my background? I feel like how I frame my past will vastly change schools' impression of who I am and what I am capable of.

Thanks so much for your help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 14:08
Expert's post
stupandaus wrote:
Chinese American, Age 22
GPA: 3.07, BS. Chem. Engr., Top 10 University (US News), Graduated in 3 years
Work Experience: 2 years at matriculation as a chemical engineer involved in commissioning/startups and process design. Worked for 6 months in Shanghai starting up a chemical plant with 3 different processes where I was given management roles and spoke Mandarin on a day to day basis.

I attended an advanced high school program which involved living on a college dorm and taking college courses full time during junior and senior years of high school. I have 66 hours of credits that do not have GPA due to being taken at another college. Accounting for those I have ~3.5 GPA. Not sure if business schools will look into this or if it's worth mentioning in an essay somewhere. This is worth mentioning. Or provide the grades.

I would describe my undergraduate time as very unfocused. During the high school program, I found the classwork easy and rarely attended class. I was placed into chemical engineering by my school when I applied, and stuck with it. While classes were more difficult, I still had little to no direction in my studies. I tried a semester of research and played poker part-time to support myself. Not sure if I should mention poker as one of my work experiences as this was the first subject I was ever interested in and it involves some skills that translate to the business world. I didn't find out until my 3rd year how important work experience was in the engineering field and basically landed my job solely on my interviews.

My time in Shanghai drastically changed my career goals. I decided I did not want to be a career engineer, and I wanted to be involved in business development, specifically for emerging technologies and industries such as green technology or new platforms like cloud computing. This is probably the first time in my life that I've had any real goals, and I feel like I've just been going with the flow until now. I've taken a number of initiatives since then as a result of my newfound goals, including being a founding member of a green technology initiative within my company analyzing processes with green metrics. Additionally, I've spent a number of hours outside of work reading papers, books, reports, or anything I can about the fields I'm interested in.

I really want to get into H/S/W as I feel these schools will help develop the skill sets I lack. I am especially interested in the Wharton Lauder Institute program. How viable is my application for these programs? How should I structure my background? I feel like how I frame my past will vastly change schools' impression of who I am and what I am capable of.

Thanks so much for your help!

The best step you could take to compensate for the low GPA and improve your chances at your target programs is enroll in a couple of business-related courses and earn A's. If you are in Shanghai. That is unlikely to happen.

So apply now and do you best to explain the evolution in your thinking that has taken place. while bringing out your new found maturity and focus, as well as your achievements in China. Because of your GMAT and impressive work experience, you have a chance. Because of the GMAT, these programs are stretch programs.

If I were you I would apply now and give it your best shot. If you don't get in, then enroll either in a masters or in business related courses to show that you can now apply yourself. Then reapply with the improved grades.

In terms of how to frame your situation, you show a good deal of self-awareness in your post. That needs to be brought out in one essay in each application. Which essay will depend on the school. If you would like help with your MBA applications, please keep Accepted in mind.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 09:40
Wanted to bump this to get an updated evaluation. I am planning not planning on applying until Fall 2012 and matriculating in Fall 2013 with 4 years experience. I am looking for general advice on things I should be working on in the meantime.

Chinese American, Age 23
GPA: 3.07, BS. Chem. Engr., Top 10 University (US News), Graduated in 3 years, ~3.5-3.6 including hours earned prior to matriculation at university (40% of my credit hours)
Work Experience: Have now worked just over 3 years as a chemical engineer including doing 3 plant startups in the US, China, and Jordan as well as some technical design experience. I've had experience leading teams of ~50 people, and am currently leading an international team spanning 3 continents. I have been an active participant in international JV negotiations and generated the project economics for said JV. This company is not a Fortune 500 company, but has provided me with significant opportunities that I wouldn't have gotten elsewhere (or at least that's my spin on it). I've spent just over 1/3 of my time with this company overseas on various assignments.
E/C's: Pretty minimal. Founding member of the first green tech club within our corporation. Various volunteering through the corporation, but limited due to amount of travel.

As a side project, I started my own company and developed a social gaming web site for China aimed at integrating with Chinese social media. Unfortunately, the market has evaporated (NBA) almost overnight. This project has lasted ~9 months, and I've averaged ~15 hours a week on said project for the duration.

My goal is to work in the venture capital industry long term, specifically in hightech/greentech. I understand that this is a very difficult industry to break into, even for traditional applicants like iBankers. Thus, it's crucial for me to get into a top name MBA and secure a relevant internship. If I'm unsuccessful at that, I'll go the iBanking route and try to transition in that way.

Goal schools are: H/S/W, Sloan, Haas, as these are the only schools I've seen with appreciable numbers of students with employment in PE/VC following graduation. I'm also still partial to dual degree programs with Masters of International Studies (Lauder/Haas).

Thanks again for your time!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 13:00
Expert's post
stupandaus wrote:
Wanted to bump this to get an updated evaluation. I am planning not planning on applying until Fall 2012 and matriculating in Fall 2013 with 4 years experience. I am looking for general advice on things I should be working on in the meantime.

Chinese American, Age 23
GPA: 3.07, BS. Chem. Engr., Top 10 University (US News), Graduated in 3 years, ~3.5-3.6 including hours earned prior to matriculation at university (40% of my credit hours)
Work Experience: Have now worked just over 3 years as a chemical engineer including doing 3 plant startups in the US, China, and Jordan as well as some technical design experience. I've had experience leading teams of ~50 people, and am currently leading an international team spanning 3 continents. I have been an active participant in international JV negotiations and generated the project economics for said JV. This company is not a Fortune 500 company, but has provided me with significant opportunities that I wouldn't have gotten elsewhere (or at least that's my spin on it). I've spent just over 1/3 of my time with this company overseas on various assignments.
E/C's: Pretty minimal. Founding member of the first green tech club within our corporation. Various volunteering through the corporation, but limited due to amount of travel.

As a side project, I started my own company and developed a social gaming web site for China aimed at integrating with Chinese social media. Unfortunately, the market has evaporated (NBA) almost overnight. This project has lasted ~9 months, and I've averaged ~15 hours a week on said project for the duration.

My goal is to work in the venture capital industry long term, specifically in hightech/greentech. I understand that this is a very difficult industry to break into, even for traditional applicants like iBankers. Thus, it's crucial for me to get into a top name MBA and secure a relevant internship. If I'm unsuccessful at that, I'll go the iBanking route and try to transition in that way.

Goal schools are: H/S/W, Sloan, Haas, as these are the only schools I've seen with appreciable numbers of students with employment in PE/VC following graduation. I'm also still partial to dual degree programs with Masters of International Studies (Lauder/Haas).

Thanks again for your time!

You've got a great foundation in your GPA and GMAT scores. For the next year or two I would recommend you focus on leading in new ways. So for example, up until now, you've led a team of up to 50 staff assigned to listen to you. What happens when you lead people that don't have to follow? What happens when you guide management above you in strategic moves that are good for the company in the long term? The outcomes of these efforts will be exciting to see in your application!

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog