Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [135]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [52]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3792 [29]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Artificial intelligence emerged during the late 1950’s as an academic [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
POE leads to option C & D

I chose option D -- correct tense usage -- correct comparison between 'computers' and 'people' using "like"

IMO option C is ambiguous because of the comparison between actions (using "as") -- sounds like we are comparing the two of the following:
- computers can be programmed to think AS
- people can (be programmed to think)

OA pls
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [12]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: SC EXPLANATIONS THREAD 2 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Artificial intelligence emerged during the late 1950's as an academic discipline based on teh assumption that computers are unable to be programmed to think like people.

a] are unable to be programmed to think like people

b] were able to be programmed to think as people

c]can be programmed to think as people can

d]could be programmed to think like people

e] are capable of being programmed to think like people do[/quote]

Some clarification on 'can' vs. 'could':

The modals (will, can, and may) have past forms (would, could, and might).

There are three occasions on which to use these past forms:

1. The sentence is in the past:
Ex. I could play piano when I was a child.

2. Reported speech:
Ex. She said that she could come. (Compare this to a direct quote, which would look like this: "She said, 'I can come.'")

3. The hypothetical present:
Ex. I could go to bed early tonight, but I want to finish the book I am reading.

4. The hypothetical past (could/would/might+have+v3)
Ex. I could have gone to bed early last night, but I stayed up to finish the book that I was reading.

I hope that explanation makes the 'could' in answer D a more obvious choice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [12]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Artificial intelligence emerged during the late 1950’s as an academic [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The essential things to consider here are: 1. Tense of the verb,2 improper diction and, 3, use of ‘like' for a clause

(A) Are able to be programmed to think like people ------- The main clause is in past tense. Use of present tense in the sub clause is wrong.
(B) Were able to be programmed to think as people ---- – could be is the right choice of the word compared to ‘were able”
(C) can be programmed to think as people can---- shift to present tense in sub cluse is wrong when the main clause is in past tense
(D) could be programmed to think like people ------ good choice.
(E) are capable of being programmed to think like people do ------1. wrong tense, 2. using ‘like’ for comparing verb
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q49  V35
GPA: 8.03
Send PM
Kudos
kaliaabhishek wrote:
Artificial intelligence emerged during the late 1950’s as an academic discipline based on the assumption that computers are able to be programmed to think like people.
(A) are able to be programmed to think like people
(B) were able to be programmed to think as people
(C) can be programmed to think as people can
(D) could be programmed to think like people
(E) are capable of being programmed to think like people do

D wins. Main clause is in past tense, hence the successive clause needs to maintain the tense.

The concept is described very well in Manhattan GMAT SC guide (Tense Sequence).

"Avoid mixing Present tense with Conditional tense and mixing Past tense with Future tense. The usual sequences are either
1. Present+Future
Eg. The scientist believes that the machine will be wonderful.
OR 2. Past+Conditional.
Eg. The scientist believed that the machine would be wonderful.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 419 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
IMO D.
Here is my approach.

Artificial intelligence emerged during the late 1950’s as an academic discipline based on the assumption that computers are able to be programmed to think like people.

(A) are able to be programmed to think like people >> tense problem
(B) were able to be programmed to think as people >> wordy and 'as' compares clauses, not noun. Here People is a noun.
(C) can be programmed to think as people can >> tense problem
(D) could be programmed to think like people >> it corrects tense problem, also 'like' correctly compares nouns. Hence it is the right answer.
(E) are capable of being programmed to think like people do >> tense problem
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Computers do not have abilities and they are not capable.... "Capable" and "able" are to "active" for inanimate objects to use.
Eliminate A, B and E.

Between C and D, we must eliminate C on grounds that it uses "can" which is not consistent with the past tense and "programmed to think as people can" . The intended meaning is to think like people.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Check the logical context to realise that in
(C) can be programmed to think as people can.
'as people can' refers to the ability of the people to be programmed as the computers are , and not the thinking ability.
(D) could be programmed to think like people.
here it correctly refers to the comparison between the thinking ability of people and computers.

Please let me know if i am right.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [2]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

This gives a meaning that "Computer are themselves able to be programmed"
We actually want to say that "computer can be programmed"

Three Issues :
1st : "Were" - use of past means that computer no longer can be programmed : This is NOT intended..
2nd : Usage of "as" for comparison needs a verb after the subject.. In short we need a clause after the use of "as" ..
Here "as people do is required"
3rd : Same as Option A

"as people can" is incorrect : should be "as people do"

Correct Choice : Comparison using "like" requires that "like be followed by a noun...which is exactly what is given here...

Here a clause (people do) is being compared using "like" which incorrect. Correct usage of Like for comparison shall be as mentioned in Option D
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8806 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Artificial intelligence emerged during the late 1950’s as an academic [#permalink]
(A) are able to be programmed to think like people -
(B) were able to be programmed to think as people - usage of as is incorrect (When as is used for comparison, we need a verb)
(C) can be programmed to think as people can - illogical meaning- it means that people can be programmed to think
(D) could be programmed to think like people - Correct
(E) are capable of being programmed to think like people do - usage of like to compare verbs is incorrect

Answer D

1. Can we eliminate options A, C, and E because the tense of the main clause is past whereas the 'that' clause is in the present tense?

2. If we can't eliminate using decision point in 1, which is better
could be programmed to think like people
OR can be programmed to think like people

3. If we change option C as
Artificial intelligence emerged during the late 1950’s as an academic discipline based on the assumption that computers can be programmed to think as people do
which can be interpreted as- can be programmed to think as people think.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , EducationAisle , VeritasPrepErika , other experts - please enlighten
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

Like is okay here.
Are able - refers to an assumption - a possibility. It makes less logical sense to state "are" than "could" or "may be".

B is incorrect because we would require a verb to state how exactly computers were able to be programmed - to think as people do
"were able" - but to me the author is referring to an assumption made at a particular point in time, so the use of simple past here- "were able"- to refer to the actual assumption people were making at that time doesn't make much sense to me.

C literally says that people can be programmed. Incorrect

Correct as it states the possibility of the assumption via "could be" and "like" correctly compares computers thinking to people's thinking.

"of being programmed" doesn't make sense to me - computers are able to be programmed not capable.
Like people do is incorrect - we don't use like to compare two clauses.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos