Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 15:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

require that vs require to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 521
Location: Indonesia
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 95 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
require that vs require to [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 16:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
3.Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

(A) that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are
(B) that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills
(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are
(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills
(E) to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills

IS legislation....require...to is correct or Legislation... require...that is correct

Request you to explain your answer
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: require that vs require to [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 17:10
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
3.Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

(A) that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are
(B) that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills
(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are
(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills
(E) to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills

IS legislation....require...to is correct or Legislation... require...that is correct

Request you to explain your answer


I am taking a chance here..I will go for 'B'. It is more on the usage 'requires of'
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 649
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 17:16
First of all, is it (C)?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 521
Location: Indonesia
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 17:22
It wont be nice to post OA so soon, before others have tried. However, you may give your explanation for choosing C... I will appreciate that

Amar
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 649
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 17:42
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
It wont be nice to post OA so soon, before others have tried. However, you may give your explanation for choosing C... I will appreciate that

Amar


well, here is my thought.

Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

(A) that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are
(B) that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills
--surely not correct: because of 'should'
(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are
(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills
--regardless of whether I think is redundant. It is better to say: to pay the same whether a job was historically......
(E) to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills
----jobs vs job. I think both should be singular or plural.

I had to choose between (A) and (C). Close call. I chose (C) because I thought I read somewhere 'requires of X to Y'. But I think I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2007
Posts: 144
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 18:18
what all the idioms exist for 'require.. '.. anybody knows?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1111
Location: London
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 18:20
A for me.
as in C. ....jobs of comparable skills... sounds awkward.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 514
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 18:45
"required to"
You are required to (verb). Example - You are required to go to the dining hall at noon. You are required to fill out all applications thoroughly.

"require/requires that" Example - A decent respect for the opinions of mankind requires that they declare the causes for the separation. Requires that (subject).
_________________

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 320
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 19:20
Going with A because C sounds awkward... "jobs requiring comparable skill" sounds much better than "jobs of comparable skills".

OG says there are two idioms of requires:

requires that x (be) y
requires x to (be) y

(be) stands for verb of being
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Posts: 157
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 01:43
After "requires of employers" we have to have a "that"... (if we had "require employers" we could use a "to").

So it's between A and B.

I think what differentiates these two is

requires that they do
requires that they should do

and I just think that the former construction seems better.

Answer (A)
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1550
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 04:01
i'll go for C. here is the idiomatic expressions:

requires that AB

or

requires A to B.

In this question, we already have the A, therefore "to" is required. Out of C, D, and E, C makes the most sense.

what's the OA?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 05:05
Raffie wrote:
After "requires of employers" we have to have a "that"... (if we had "require employers" we could use a "to").

So it's between A and B.

I think what differentiates these two is

requires that they do
requires that they should do

and I just think that the former construction seems better.

Answer (A)


Is it not that in 'A' 'as' is used to compare nouns .

In 'b' 'same as' is used to do the same
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 521
Location: Indonesia
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 15:53
Raffie wrote:
After "requires of employers" we have to have a "that"... (if we had "require employers" we could use a "to").

So it's between A and B.

I think what differentiates these two is

requires that they do
requires that they should do

and I just think that the former construction seems better.

Answer (A)


You hit the bulls Eye... OA is A

The relevant patterns are:

to be required to ...
to require someone to ...
to require of someone that ...

so its the last one in this case...

Amar
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 18:14
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
Raffie wrote:
After "requires of employers" we have to have a "that"... (if we had "require employers" we could use a "to").

So it's between A and B.

I think what differentiates these two is

requires that they do
requires that they should do

and I just think that the former construction seems better.

Answer (A)




You hit the bulls Eye... OA is A

The relevant patterns are:

to be required to ...
to require someone to ...
to require of someone that ...

so its the last one in this case...

Amar


If you can kindly post the OE. That will help a lot. Thanks... :roll: .

Keen to know how 'A' is better than 'B'
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2007
Posts: 183
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 18:37
Beyond700 wrote:
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
Raffie wrote:
After "requires of employers" we have to have a "that"... (if we had "require employers" we could use a "to").

So it's between A and B.

I think what differentiates these two is

requires that they do
requires that they should do

and I just think that the former construction seems better.

Answer (A)




You hit the bulls Eye... OA is A

The relevant patterns are:

to be required to ...
to require someone to ...
to require of someone that ...

so its the last one in this case...

Amar


If you can kindly post the OE. That will help a lot. Thanks... :roll: .

Keen to know how 'A' is better than 'B'



# 109 in OG 10th Ed

Choice A is best. In choice B, should is illogical after requires, or at least unnecessary, and so is better omitted; in choices B and E, job does not agree in number with jobs; and in choices B, D, and E, the wording illogically describes the comparable skills rather than the jobs as being "usually held by men". Choices C, D, and E produce the ungrammatical construction requires of...employers to pay, in which of makes the phrase incorrect. In C, the use of in rather than for is unidiomatic, and jobs of comparable skill confusedly suggests that the jobs rather than the workers possess the skills. In D, the phrase beginning regardless...is awkward and wordy in addition to being illogical.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 05:40
Skewed wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
Raffie wrote:
After "requires of employers" we have to have a "that"... (if we had "require employers" we could use a "to").

So it's between A and B.

I think what differentiates these two is

requires that they do
requires that they should do

and I just think that the former construction seems better.

Answer (A)




You hit the bulls Eye... OA is A

The relevant patterns are:

to be required to ...
to require someone to ...
to require of someone that ...

so its the last one in this case...

Amar


If you can kindly post the OE. That will help a lot. Thanks... :roll: .

Keen to know how 'A' is better than 'B'



# 109 in OG 10th Ed

Choice A is best. In choice B, should is illogical after requires, or at least unnecessary, and so is better omitted; in choices B and E, job does not agree in number with jobs; and in choices B, D, and E, the wording illogically describes the comparable skills rather than the jobs as being "usually held by men". Choices C, D, and E produce the ungrammatical construction requires of...employers to pay, in which of makes the phrase incorrect. In C, the use of in rather than for is unidiomatic, and jobs of comparable skill confusedly suggests that the jobs rather than the workers possess the skills. In D, the phrase beginning regardless...is awkward and wordy in addition to being illogical.



Thank you so much Skewed. Really appreciate your help.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 177
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: require that vs require to [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 14:46
thx
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 477
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: require that vs require to [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 16:19
good one +1
_________________

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Re: require that vs require to   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2008, 16:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Require guidance: Verbal (MGMAT vs Veritas vs Actual) popov 0 16 Feb 2014, 02:51
required to..required of ??? ravi_taneja_1977 3 25 Nov 2007, 17:12
3 Required to survive or Required for survival helpmeongmat 9 24 Jul 2007, 22:06
require .. Amit05 5 21 Jul 2007, 00:40
Experts publish their posts in the topic TOEFL Required? farazdak 7 21 Sep 2004, 23:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

require that vs require to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.