Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 03:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Retake? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 06:43
I recently took the GMAT with NO studying and received a 600, which I am definitely disappointed with. I received a 92% in verbal, and 28% in quant. To say the least, my quant score is dismal.

However, I am now looking at this as a positive. I never applied myself in high school to learn the basics of math (that is an understatement, I am lucky I even graduated), and I am thinking with a little elbow grease I can eke my total score up into the 700's without a problem. When first taking the test I literally had no clue where to even begin on most of the quant questions, because conceptually my math foundation is not there.

If I improve slightly on the verbal section, is it likely that I will be able to bring my quant score high enough to hit that 700 and above mark?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Retake? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 07:28
You should consider yourself extremely lucky that you can get a 600 without studying.

Maybe start by going through the OG Math questions at your own pace and use the GMATPrep software.

Good luck.

Staying positive and having fun with the GMAT.

<<====[ If you like my post, press +1 on the left]

Manager
Manager

Re: Retake? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 13:40
I have purchased the 5 book MGMAT Quant set. I am just wondering if a 100 point total score increase is realistic?

If I meticulously work my way through the MGMAT guides, will they prepare me to pull a 700+ performance?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retake? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 19:01
short answer: yes.

long answer:

It is going to take a lot of work, don't kid yourself. You may even want to look at private or course tutoring, if that is a feasible option. The hard truth here is that you are currently lacking fundamental understanding of the level of math that the GMAT is testing. Good news is that the level is not impossible to grasp, and is totally feasible.

Looks like to meet your goal of 700+, you will need a Quant of 45. Of course, with an even higher verbal, your quant can be lower.

Be sure to check out the resources on this forum, search for info on how the gmat is scored, how to create an effective study plan, and tips on how to use the OG12 effectively.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Retake? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 19:38
If I were you I would retake the exam. Your verbal is great and it's much more difficult to boost the Verbal section than the Quant section. I think you can achieve 700+ with 2,3 months of practicing in Quant.
Manager
Manager

Re: Retake? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 06:20
When does the application process for top tier schools generally begin? It looks like U of C begins in early fall, and Kellogg begins in the summer.

I am thinking that I will have 3 months to study, is this reasonable?

If so, my plan is this:

Month 1: MGMAT 1-3 and begin GMAT Club tests. Take Kaplan Prep test 1 at end of month.

Month 2: MGMAT 4-5 and continue GMAT Club tests. Take Official Prep test 1 at end of month.

Month 3: Finish GMAT Club tests, and review weak areas. Take Official Prep test 2 at end of month.

Is there a piece of the puzzle that I am missing at this point, or better tests I can be using? Not having tried or even purchased the GMAT Club tests yet, are they useful for diagnosing your weak areas (do they point out what problems you have difficulty with upon completion) or is there a better tool for this?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Retake? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 07:46
The MGMAT books come with 6-7 online CATs which allow you to generate assessment reports.

Staying positive and having fun with the GMAT.

<<====[ If you like my post, press +1 on the left]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retake? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 10:42
Search for the guide to the guide on this forum. It's a homegrown spreadsheet to track your og12 errors

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: Retake? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 03:13
Its official. Looks like I will need to buy the OG12 as well!
Re: Retake?   [#permalink] 05 May 2011, 03:13