Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

retake?? 680

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

retake?? 680 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 08:27
I am just back from the Pearson Center.

Obviously I am wondering if I should retake, being so close to the 700's.
My overall score is in line ith my last CATs, but repartition was somehow different.
I got a 41 in Q, which is quite low as I was scoring consistenly 43-46 both on GMAT prep and MGMAT.
However, I also got 41 in verbal (not bad for a non native), which is 4 points more than my highest score ( really happy I bought the GMAT pill on SC 3 days ago).

Right now I am exhausted, and don't really want to see a GMAT book for a while, but I am really wondering if a 700+ would make a real difference.
I am confident I can score higher on quant, but not so sure I can score the same on verbal!!

I plan to apply next year in R1 to Columbia, LBS, STern and Insead.

Thanks for your inside!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 44

Re: retake?? 680 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 20:38
Answer to a similarquestion. Thought it might help !!!

Giving kudos is a way to appreciate the help done to you.
VOTE: Best resource for Verbal in GMAT
VOTE: Best resource for Quant in GMAT

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: retake?? 680 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 20:46
DOUDOUDIDON wrote:
I am just back from the Pearson Center.

Obviously I am wondering if I should retake, being so close to the 700's.
My overall score is in line ith my last CATs, but repartition was somehow different.
I got a 41 in Q, which is quite low as I was scoring consistenly 43-46 both on GMAT prep and MGMAT.
However, I also got 41 in verbal (not bad for a non native), which is 4 points more than my highest score ( really happy I bought the GMAT pill on SC 3 days ago).

Right now I am exhausted, and don't really want to see a GMAT book for a while, but I am really wondering if a 700+ would make a real difference.
I am confident I can score higher on quant, but not so sure I can score the same on verbal!!

I plan to apply next year in R1 to Columbia, LBS, STern and Insead.

Thanks for your inside!

Someone can speak tot his better, I would see if the schools you're applying to take the highest GMAT or the average.

In any case, if you're doing R1 next year, sounds like you have plenty of time for a retake. I know it sucks to study, but I surely wish I were in your shoes and had the time to take the GMAT again. I say take a month or so off and hit the books again.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: retake?? 680 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 00:58
That's probably the right thing to do ( although I have seen people admitted with a similar score)
I'll relax next week and start again! That's really too bad we can't retake immediatly.

I am a bit worried regarding the CATs though, I have done all the MGMAT CATs several times and Gmat prep too.
Feels like I already crammed all the material!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: retake?? 680 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 18:27
Congrats on the great verbal score! The bad news is that a 41Q puts you at a serious disadvantage at the schools you mentioned, though. A 680 could be fine under the right conditions, but programs tend to care a little bit more about the quant score than the verbal, and you would need to have a pretty spectacular profile to overcome that 41, unfortunately.

Studying for the GMAT is about as fun as licking frozen doorknobs, but the quant is always improvable, and I'd be willing to wager that you can crack a 45 or even a 47 if you keep at it. And hey, if you can get a 41V once, you can definitely do it again! There aren't too many high-quality verbal CATs out there, but if you get enough consistent practice from official material (OG, quant/verbal guides, GMATPrep Question Pack, possibly retired LSATs for CR and RC), you'll be fine. For quant, there's plenty of material out there (including the GMAT Club tests if you haven't tried those yet). The practice test scores aren't always accurate unless you're using the GMATPrep, but you'll have tons of opportunities to sharpen your skills.

I hope this helps. Enjoy at least a short break from the GMAT, you've earned it!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: retake?? 680   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2013, 18:27