Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC from Manhatten GMAT

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2011
Posts: 10
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

SC from Manhatten GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 07:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:46) correct 41% (00:47) wrong based on 29 sessions
Friends, please help to answer the below mentioned question. It has shaken one of my strong fundamental about SC.

With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.

a) With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie
b) Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels
c) Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels
d) Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels
e) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2011
Posts: 10
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC from Manhatten GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 08:40
Another one where I need help :)

Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting through volcanoes, but they now know that it is continuously created by the heat of the radioactivity deep inside the planet.

a) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting
b) had been an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days and sporadically erupted
c) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, which sporadically erupted
d) would be an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days that sporadically erupted
e) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, having sporadically erupted
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: GMAT in 4 weeks
Joined: 28 Mar 2010
Posts: 186
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 25

Re: SC from Manhatten GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 11:16
Is this question from the Mahattan test or from Manhattan Question Bank or SC book ?

Cause I am suppose to start with Tests and dont want to attempt question that are from tests.
_________________

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: GMAT Learner
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 651
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 32

Re: SC from Manhatten GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 13:53
karankhinchi wrote:
Friends, please help to answer the below mentioned question. It has shaken one of my strong fundamental about SC.

With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.

a) With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie
b) Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels
c) Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels
d) Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels
e) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels


E- This sentence correctly modifying travels of Agatha.
A-awkward
B- awkward too
c- Modifying husband of Agatha other than travel
d- Agatha was inspired by the travel not with her husband.
_________________

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Posts: 205
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: SC from Manhatten GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 09:20
For the first one it is E and for the second one it is A. in second, b and d is out because of tense form. C has a modifier error. in e having is awkward.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 126
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 1

Re: SC from Manhatten GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 13:34
Expert's post
For the original poster, what's the "fundamental belief" to which you referred?

It's typically most efficient to look for splits, but the fact that there is not an obvious split at the beginning of the sentence is a clue that we may be dealing with a MODIFIER issue.

(A) The prepositional phrase "with her archaeologist husband" incorrectly modifies "TRAVELS INSPIRED" (and implies that the HUSBAND and the TRAVELS were the source of inspiration, rather than the travels that she took with her husband). Eliminate.

(B) Unlike in choice A, there is no dangling modifier at the beginning here, but meaning-wise this choice is a little wonky. She USED her travels to inspire? Eliminate.

(C) The initial modifier is correct here, but notice that little pronoun "their" midway through the sentence. "Agatha Christie and her husband" has not appeared as a compound subject (even though we know that's what the sentence writer probably *means*, we can only treat what is actually present). Eliminate.

(D) Slightly sneakier version of choice C here. Even though "together with" lets us know that the sentence writer probably means "Agatha and her husband," the only word that would give us a compound subject is "AND." Without that conjunction, the pronoun "their" is still incorrect. Eliminate.

(E) No dangling or misplaced modifiers here. The travels themselves have become the subject, and the possessive pronoun "her" correctly refers back to the possessive antecedent "Agatha Christie's." This is our answer!
_________________


JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 2045
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 376

Re: SC from Manhatten GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 13:45
parker wrote:
For the original poster, what's the "fundamental belief" to which you referred?

It's typically most efficient to look for splits, but the fact that there is not an obvious split at the beginning of the sentence is a clue that we may be dealing with a MODIFIER issue.

(A) The prepositional phrase "with her archaeologist husband" incorrectly modifies "TRAVELS INSPIRED" (and implies that the HUSBAND and the TRAVELS were the source of inspiration, rather than the travels that she took with her husband). Eliminate.

(B) Unlike in choice A, there is no dangling modifier at the beginning here, but meaning-wise this choice is a little wonky. She USED her travels to inspire? Eliminate.

(C) The initial modifier is correct here, but notice that little pronoun "their" midway through the sentence. "Agatha Christie and her husband" has not appeared as a compound subject (even though we know that's what the sentence writer probably *means*, we can only treat what is actually present). Eliminate.

(D) Slightly sneakier version of choice C here. Even though "together with" lets us know that the sentence writer probably means "Agatha and her husband," the only word that would give us a compound subject is "AND." Without that conjunction, the pronoun "their" is still incorrect. Eliminate.

(E) No dangling or misplaced modifiers here. The travels themselves have become the subject, and the possessive pronoun "her" correctly refers back to the possessive antecedent "Agatha Christie's." This is our answer!


Parker:
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

I am not seeing any antecedent for pronoun "her". "Agatha Christie's" is not a noun. Thus "her" doesn't have a proper antecedent.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ok; I got it!!!

"Her" and not "she" is used and thus it's correct.
_________________

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 126
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 182 [1] , given: 1

Re: SC from Manhatten GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 13:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey Fluke,

"Agatha Christie" definitely does not appear as an antecedent, however, "her" is the possessive form (which stands in for the phrase "Agatha Christie's) and CAN take the possessive phrase "Agatha Christie's" as an antecendent.

What has traditionally NOT be considered ok is a subject case pronoun ("she") referring back to a possessive antecedent "Agatha Christie's husband thinks SHE should eat the pie" has in the past been considered INCORRECT, because "she" is a subject case pronoun that has no subject case antecedent. This has been referred to as "possessive poison" in years past. That grammatical violation shows up in the explanation to several OG questions, but the rule itself hasn't ever been the only reason to eliminate an answer, so it's not something to put high on your priority-stress list.
_________________


JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 2045
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 376

Re: SC from Manhatten GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 13:56
parker wrote:
Hey Fluke,

"Agatha Christie" definitely does not appear as an antecedent, however, "her" is the possessive form (which stands in for the phrase "Agatha Christie's) and CAN take the possessive phrase "Agatha Christie's" as an antecendent.

What has traditionally NOT be considered ok is a subject case pronoun ("she") referring back to a possessive antecedent "Agatha Christie's husband thinks SHE should eat the pie" has in the past been considered INCORRECT, because "she" is a subject case pronoun that has no subject case antecedent. This has been referred to as "possessive poison" in years past. That grammatical violation shows up in the explanation to several OG questions, but the rule itself hasn't ever been the only reason to eliminate an answer, so it's not something to put high on your priority-stress list.


Yes. Realized it after posting. thanks a lot.
_________________

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Posts: 102
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: SC from Manhatten GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 06:16
With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.

a) With her archaeologist husband, travels inspired several mystery novels by Agatha Christie
Issue:In this it looks like travels is modifying husband. Secondly With is awkward.
b) Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels
Issue:It looks like novels are inspired!
c) Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels.
Issue: Awkward +wordy
d) Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels
Issue: Awkward
e) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels
Correct :)
Re: SC from Manhatten GMAT   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2011, 06:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Advice on Manhatten GMAT books olwan 5 26 Apr 2012, 13:34
Experts publish their posts in the topic Props to Manhatten GMAT Prep SC book 600orBust 6 26 Aug 2010, 19:07
2 SC from gmat prep raghavs 5 29 Mar 2010, 09:54
Manhatten GMAT books Positive thinker 5 11 Aug 2006, 07:00
GMAX vs. Manhatten GMAT christoph 1 23 May 2005, 06:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

SC from Manhatten GMAT

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.