Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 13:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Step down....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Step down.... [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 05:55
Hello, I am in immense dilemma of taking the right decision between career (existing job) and GMAT for future career. I was promoted to a Project Head 6 months back for Operations of a new assignment. If anyone was following my prep updates - i was doing miserable with my GMAT prep - reason obvious, I could not focus on both together. A project head role was as demanding as I thought, I was positive to be able to cope up with both. I was wrong, its a pre opening project, work is different and more brain taxing than operational projects. I decided on a job change, an operational project, at a step (position) down but additional job responsibilities (why??? so I can move up real quick in a years time), to be able to correctly balance my work and studies. But here is the catch, I again got a mind blowing pre opening project head offer from another company. It is lucrative (role, profile,position so its not only pay/perks etc) and thus making me think again is my move to step down a position (only took over for 6 months) CORRECT!But yes, I neither brand would be a compromise....

Will this impact my application negatively? But most importantly, I know I can justify this move of mine strongly, but my question is "am I taking the right decision".............With so many years hard work/experience, this position means as much to me as GMAT. Will this be too much of a concern in my application?

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Step down.... [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 11:03
Expert's post
Hi sdas,

Hope the following is of help. If you have a high volume of job changes on your resume, you may appear to lack commitment or be unfocused. You will probably need to explain the reason for your changes and help the admissions committee to understand the motivation behind your decisions. It’s important in this situation to refrain from merely chronicling your resume. You will want to explain the “WHY?” behind the “WHAT you did.”

There is no right number of jobs, or right number of years at a job. Most important is to explain why each step is a logical one in your path to the MBA and longer term goals. If there was a misstep somewhere, you can explain what happened, how you corrected course and what you learned.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: Step down.... [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 09:02
Dear Conrad & team, thank your for your response. This makes a lot of sense. There is indeed a misstep which I will need assistance to explain further. Appreciate your feedback

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518