Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!! [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 00:25
Hi All,

Long time follower, first time poster.

I need some advice on my progress/performance- I began my studies by taking a KAPLAN course in September of this year. Since then, I have taken a total of 7 CAT exams and I am not pleased with my scores. My performance can be found below in order:

KAPLAN CAT 1: 510 (Q34, V23)
KAPLAN CAT 2: 520 (Q36, V21)
KAPLAN CAT 3: 550 (Q34, V29)
KAPLAN CAT 4: 550 (Q35, V26)
KAPLAN CAT 5: 580 (Q38, V33)
KAPLAN CAT 6: 600 (Q47, V24) - really focused on the first 5 quant q's.
MGMAT CAT 1: 560 (Q40, V28)

I feel that my quant has improved and I actually know my problem areas, which are geometry and number properties. After focusing on my weak areas in quant, I hope to score a 49 consistently.

As for verbal...I'm not sure where to start, when I do SC practice q's I usually get 80% correct but when test time comes around...I get killed. As for CR I'm pretty good at it and for RC it gets pretty tough for me at the 700 level.

In addition, I have completed the entire KAPLAN guide and have almost completed the MGMAT SC book. I have also completed 25% of the practice q's from the OG, Verbal, and Quant workbooks and have been getting 70-80% correct.

I plan on taking the actual exam at the end of January or middle of February and my goal is to score a 700 (49Q, 37V).

Am I being too ambitious with my score? Any help or tips on taking the exam is much appreciated. Please advise!!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 28

Re: Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!! [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 18:23
Hello!

Suggest that you take a full-length GMATPrep test, which is considered the most reliable indicator of your GMAT score.

As to SC and CR, you should read each chapter in MGMAT SC, then do the OG problems following each chapter. Google each problem that you do (no matter what you got it right or wrong), read thoroughly (and/or take notes) explanations of Ron Purewal, instructor of Manhattan GMAT. I am sure that you'll learn a lot after reading his posts.

As to RC, I feel that it depends on each person's reading skill/English competence, so there is no one-fit-all strategy. From my observation, test takers often read books (books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html) or such magazines as The Economist or Scientific American besides doing practice problems in OG.

For Quant, I suppose that you get a decent quant knowledge, so I think you should practice as many problems as you can. Start from OG, GMATClub tests or problems in Bunuel's signature.

Finally, remember to REVIEW THOROUGHLY every problem that you solve, whether you get it correct or incorrect.

Hope it helps.

There can be Miracles when you believe

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 02:21
I am facing exactly the same problem though I havent given so Many CATs just gave free kaplan and scored 520 at the start of prep...and hopefully I ll do better whenever I give now...

But my SC doesnt go rite at all . I reach to last two options but to chose the right one i always fail :(

My gmat is on jan 25 please help I am aiming anything above 700.

Regards,
Abhinav

GMATBeast wrote:
Hi All,

Long time follower, first time poster.

I need some advice on my progress/performance- I began my studies by taking a KAPLAN course in September of this year. Since then, I have taken a total of 7 CAT exams and I am not pleased with my scores. My performance can be found below in order:

KAPLAN CAT 1: 510 (Q34, V23)
KAPLAN CAT 2: 520 (Q36, V21)
KAPLAN CAT 3: 550 (Q34, V29)
KAPLAN CAT 4: 550 (Q35, V26)
KAPLAN CAT 5: 580 (Q38, V33)
KAPLAN CAT 6: 600 (Q47, V24) - really focused on the first 5 quant q's.
MGMAT CAT 1: 560 (Q40, V28)

I feel that my quant has improved and I actually know my problem areas, which are geometry and number properties. After focusing on my weak areas in quant, I hope to score a 49 consistently.

As for verbal...I'm not sure where to start, when I do SC practice q's I usually get 80% correct but when test time comes around...I get killed. As for CR I'm pretty good at it and for RC it gets pretty tough for me at the 700 level.

In addition, I have completed the entire KAPLAN guide and have almost completed the MGMAT SC book. I have also completed 25% of the practice q's from the OG, Verbal, and Quant workbooks and have been getting 70-80% correct.

I plan on taking the actual exam at the end of January or middle of February and my goal is to score a 700 (49Q, 37V).

Am I being too ambitious with my score? Any help or tips on taking the exam is much appreciated. Please advise!!!!

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Manager
Manager

Re: Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 23:43
abhinav11 wrote:
I am facing exactly the same problem though I havent given so Many CATs just gave free kaplan and scored 520 at the start of prep...and hopefully I ll do better whenever I give now...

But my SC doesnt go rite at all . I reach to last two options but to chose the right one i always fail :(

Regards,
Abhinav

So I think a good way to improve your SC skill is to start writing English properly (please see the words in red boldface) :) . The little details that can be considered trivial can make a (big) difference!

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 00:00
windofchange wrote:
abhinav11 wrote:

Regards,
Abhinav

So I think a good way to improve your SC skill is to start writing English properly (please see the words in red boldface) :) . The little details that can be considered trivial can make a (big) difference!

haha thank you so much , i will definitely use this practice from now onwards...

any other study material you suggest for SC and CR?

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

Manager
Manager

Re: Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 00:25
abhinav11 wrote:

haha thank you so much , i will definitely use this practice from now onwards...

any other study material you suggest for SC and CR?

Well, just the common books that you might have already read: MGMAT SC and PowerScore CR bible.
I am using OG13 for practice, but I think it's not enough if we want to score over 700. I also use the GMATPrep Pack 1 and my accuracy level in SC section is about 90%. My weakness is CR; no matter how hard I try, I only got about 50-60% correct :( Too bad!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 06:42
@Abhinav11
As already mentioned MGMAT SC is a must. And I will strongly recommend E-GMATs SC course. I took one and it helped me a lot to improve my SC (will get to know for sure after i write my GMAT on 30Jan'12) i am not able to comment about the other courses by E-GMAT as i did not ake them.

Give me a Kudo if you find my post useful

Awesome AWA tip - how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Amazing CR questions - 100-amazing-cr-questions-explanations-cr-700-to-800-level-137885.html

Overlapping set problems - advanced-overlapping-sets-problems-144260.html

My GMAT Story - from-530-q43-v20-to-630-q47-v30-my-gmat-story-144980.html

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 09:51
ashomech wrote:
@Abhinav11
As already mentioned MGMAT SC is a must. And I will strongly recommend E-GMATs SC course. I took one and it helped me a lot to improve my SC (will get to know for sure after i write my GMAT on 30Jan'12) i am not able to comment about the other courses by E-GMAT as i did not ake them.

What All CATs you are giving at this point of time ???
Kaplan , Manhattan , Gmat Prep ?????
I will be booking my GMAT d day in last week of Jan..

Regards,
Abhinav

Regards,
Abhinav

Intern
Intern

Re: Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 18:06
abhinav11 wrote:
What All CATs you are giving at this point of time ???
Kaplan , Manhattan , Gmat Prep ?????
I will be booking my GMAT d day in last week of Jan..
Regards,
Abhinav

I have taken 4 of MGMAT CATs, 1 Kaplan (free CAT) and 3 GMAT Prep tests. But, in GMATPrepp tests i started getting few repeat questions.
1 MGMAT and 3 GMATPrepps were taken in the last 3 weeks. Where as the first 3 MGMAT CATs and a Kaplan CAT were spread over the past 4 months.

Started with MGMAT 530 (Q43, V20) in the first week of August. And now my scores were hovering around 650(Q45, V34). Did see a 700 (Q47, V35) yesterday on GMAT Prepp. But, I saw a lot of repeat questions. Hence, i will take that score with a BIG pinch of salt :lol:

Amazing CR questions - 100-amazing-cr-questions-explanations-cr-700-to-800-level-137885.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 21:26
How much improvement is seen from just doing practice questions?

I feel as if I have the concepts/theories down and just need to practice them to recognize patterns, etc.

Would completing about 2000-3000 practice q's in a month help?
Intern
Intern

Re: Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!! [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 19:02
GMATBeast wrote:
How much improvement is seen from just doing practice questions?

I feel as if I have the concepts/theories down and just need to practice them to recognize patterns, etc.

Would completing about 2000-3000 practice q's in a month help?

Time and again its mentioned all over this forum. Quality prevails over quantity. I have read stories of 700+ GMAT score with just using OG and GMATPrepp. And i learnt it myself as well (in a hard way).
solving 50 questions and reviewing them thoroughly to know why you did that right/ wrong is wiser than solving 100 questions and not reviewing them or reviewing them just for the sake of reviewing (without a serious effort). I did that mistake. I never reviewed my OG13 Verbal answers properly and i paid for it dearly. :(

Re: Struggling w/ Performance - NEED HELP!!   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2012, 19:02