Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 0

Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 01:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:00) correct 41% (01:10) wrong based on 998 sessions
Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equater.

(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun's surface, which have never been sighted on

This is Q14 of the OG 12th ed. (Q9 of the OG 11th ed) However:

1. I don't understand the OE of option (C), in that "sighted is not a complete verb".

2. I don't understand the OE of the top paragraph which states "The adjective visible is a complement and is parallel to the past particle sighted"

Would appreciate any form of explanation. Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 1

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 05:19
skim wrote:
Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equater.

(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at

1. I don't understand the OE of option (C), in that "sighted is not a complete verb".

2. I don't understand the OE of the top paragraph which states "The adjective visible is a complement and is parallel to the past particle sighted"

I choose A as my answer.
What you need to know is that "visible" is an adjective. You should also know that past participle is also treated as an adjective. Here's an example of a past participle, which is always used as an adjective:

1) The man carried a broken window. ---> the "broken" is a past participle describing the "window", which is a noun.

As for the question regarding "sighted', it means that its a verb that doesn't need to be followed by an object. For example:

2) Tom runs ---> you don't have to say where did Tom run. The verb "runs" can stand by itself without the need to add an object. However, some of the verbs will NEED to be followed by an object to complete the thought of the sentence. For example:

3) Tom completes his homework ----> can you imagine how odd it will be if the sentence were written without "his homework"? So this shows an example of some verbs that MUST be followed by an object.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 414 [2] , given: 56

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
I'll vote for C.

(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on - "are visible" and "have never been" are not parallel.
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun - "dark spots that never have been sighted" sounds awkward and changes the meaning.
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at - "sunspots .. appear..." and "sunspots.. sighted.." are parallel construction
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at - "although never having been" sounds awkward and wordy. Also not parallel to "appear as"
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun's surface, which have never been sighted on - same error as D

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

8 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 233 [8] , given: 1

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
bigoyal wrote:
I'll vote for C.

(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on - "are visible" and "have never been" are not parallel.
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun - "dark spots that never have been sighted" sounds awkward and changes the meaning.
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at - "sunspots .. appear..." and "sunspots.. sighted.." are parallel construction
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at - "although never having been" sounds awkward and wordy. Also not parallel to "appear as"
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun's surface, which have never been sighted on - same error as D

I will have to disagree with you because I feel that "sighted at" suggests the location of the sighting. For example:

A huge fight was sighted at the construction site ----> it means that those who saw the fight were also there at the construction site.

So when you look at option C, it suggests that someone wasn't able to see the sunspots when he or she was at the sun's poles or equator. Unless that person is Chris Angels, I don't think that such a stunt can be possible....lol
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 06:50
i will go with A...

Whats the OA ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 18:33
OA is A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 18:39
Thanks for your explanation, tarek 99. My queries below in red:-

tarek99 wrote:
skim wrote:

I choose A as my answer.
What you need to know is that "visible" is an adjective. You should also know that past participle is also treated as an adjective. Here's an example of a past participle, which is always used as an adjective:

1) The man carried a broken window. ---> the "broken" is a past participle describing the "window", which is a noun.

As for the question regarding "sighted', it means that its a verb that doesn't need to be followed by an object. So does this mean that "sighted" is a verb that doesn't need to be followed by an object, hence it should be a "complete verb"?

For example:

2) Tom runs ---> you don't have to say where did Tom run. The verb "runs" can stand by itself without the need to add an object. However, some of the verbs will NEED to be followed by an object to complete the thought of the sentence. For example:

3) Tom completes his homework ----> can you imagine how odd it will be if the sentence were written without "his homework"? So this shows an example of some verbs that MUST be followed by an object.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 1

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2009, 00:30
skim wrote:
Thanks for your explanation, tarek 99. My queries below in red:-

tarek99 wrote:
skim wrote:

I choose A as my answer.

As for the question regarding "sighted', it means that its a verb that doesn't need to be followed by an object. So does this mean that "sighted" is a verb that doesn't need to be followed by an object, hence it should be a "complete verb"?

For example:

yes, you're right with the way you've explained it. I'm just not sure of the exact definition of complete verb. I'm not sure whether "complete verb" means that the verb is essentially complete the way it is without the need to have an object, or whether "complete verb" means a verb + an object. In general, you will have to assess a verb to see whether it can stand on its own or not. That's essentially what it's all about. makes sense?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 13:27
A very tough one...confusion between a lot of options
OA is A....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 15:10
bigoyal wrote:
I'll vote for C.

In C -- it should be have never been sighted. On the other hand I feel that there should be a comma before although.

Cheers,
SD

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 16:56
This post received
KUDOS
skim wrote:

Hi

Correct

darkspots
That modifies dark spots which changes the intended meaning

although begins a subordinate clause without a subject, thus making it a fragment

although begins a subordinate clause without a subject, thus making it a fragment

which modifies surface and that makes no sense

The terms you and Tarek99 are looking for are Transitive and Intransitive verbs. Transitive Verbs require a direct object, whereas Intransitive verbs do not take a direct object (Instransitive verbs cannot be put in the passive voice).

So to answer your question directly, "to sight" is a transitive verb and requires a direct object; however if it is used as a noun modifier, then it does not require a a direct object since its not acting as a verb.

Verbs in the past participle form can be used a noun modifiers. In general adjectives, Past Participles, and Present Participles (acting as a noun modifier) are all be parallel.

Take Care
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 17:08
SudiptoGmat wrote:
bigoyal wrote:
I'll vote for C.

In C -- it should be have never been sighted. On the other hand I feel that there should be a comma before although.

From what I know -- you have a choice whether to use a comma or not when joining a main clause to a suboirdinate clause. However when you join two main clauses using a co-ordinating conjuction, you have to use a comma.

Take Care
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 36

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 22:11
Sunspots is the subject of the sentence; are is the
verb of the first part of the contrast, and have been
sighted is the verb of the second.

OA : A

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 36

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 22:17
Thanks. This explanation is awesome.

tarek99 wrote:
bigoyal wrote:
I'll vote for C.

I will have to disagree with you because I feel that "sighted at" suggests the location of the sighting. For example:

A huge fight was sighted at the construction site ----> it means that those who saw the fight were also there at the construction site.

So when you look at option C, it suggests that someone wasn't able to see the sunspots when he or she was at the sun's poles or equator. Unless that person is Chris Angels, I don't think that such a stunt can be possible....lol

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 20

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 00:00
Please, for the sake of understanding, how does the option below fits into the original sentence?

"appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on..."

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [5] , given: 5

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 00:45
This post received
KUDOS
IMO-A,
Usual rule of thumb is: 'Although' fits only when it can be replaced by 'In spite of the fact' ... which can happen only for cause-effect sentences.
Option-C,D: are out since the sentence is not a cause-effect sentence i.e Reason for sunspots being visible on the surface of the sun, is not because they are never sighted on the Poles or equator.
Option B: modifies dark spots which changes the intended meaning
Option E: modifies surface and that makes no sense
Option A: Correct.

Now why Option A is correct, well:
The above sentence can be read as:
Sunspots are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equater.
Correct - Subject verb agreement [Sunspots(Plural) ... are]
Correct - Use of Present Perfect tense.
... This a Perfect Sentence :P

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 20

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 02:05
My question has to do with whether option A would be correct if "visible" where changed
to "appear as" in the context of the original meaning.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 02:12
@gmatbull: Option A would not be correct if 'visible' was 'changed to 'appear as' ... primarily because 'appear as' is unidiomatic. It should be 'appear to' to be Idiomatic.

Replacing 'appear as' with 'appear to' definitely changes meaning and is wrong. So you cannot replace 'visible'

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 08:56
That makes total sense to me.
However, according to my source, OA is C.

Thoughts?

devashish wrote:
IMO-A,
Usual rule of thumb is: 'Although' fits only when it can be replaced by 'In spite of the fact' ... which can happen only for cause-effect sentences.
Option-C,D: are out since the sentence is not a cause-effect sentence i.e Reason for sunspots being visible on the surface of the sun, is not because they are never sighted on the Poles or equator.
Option B: modifies dark spots which changes the intended meaning
Option E: modifies surface and that makes no sense
Option A: Correct.

Now why Option A is correct, well:
The above sentence can be read as:
Sunspots are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equater.
Correct - Subject verb agreement [Sunspots(Plural) ... are]
Correct - Use of Present Perfect tense.
... This a Perfect Sentence :P

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 12

Re: Sunspots [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
C can't be correct.
C:you have two clauses that should be parallel.

the first clause: Sunspots appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots.
Subject: sunspots, Verb: appear.

The second Clause: ..... although never sighted at ......
Subject: MISSING. These subordinators typically must have a subject and a verb.
Verb: sighted, SIGHTED is not a verb. It's a participle.

Hence, the two clauses are not parallel.
Whenever you have contrast construction, always look for parallelism between the clauses.

This OG 12ed question and the OA is A

Nanquam Fractum

Re: Sunspots   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2010, 11:47