Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 119 [2] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
So I am back.....to challenge GMAT for the second time. My previous(first) attempt was a disastor. Way below my target score. (Here is the link for my first attempt Debrief)

disastreous-first-attempt-590-q-49-v-77850.html#p586081

So this time around, I am going to put all the learnings to face the challange. Couple of them that I wanted to correct myself(learnings from my first attempt failure) for this attempt -

a) Concentrate more in verbal with Quant kept in pace.( I am quant person - so was practicing more of quant ignoring Verbal completely in my first attempt. And the result was also accordingly)
b) Take as many CAT exams as possible irrespective of whether it is GMATPrep / Princeton / kaplan / MGMAT.....All I need is to test my self with speed, time, stamina and my weak areas. (I have hardly done any CATS in my first attempt expect for the 2 GMATPreps towards the end - probably a week before the D-Day. Struggled a lot with timing especially my verbal. This also contributed to my loss of clamness on the D-Day. )
c) Having too many materials is no good. This time around, Concetrate more in MGMAT strategy guides, OG, OG review, GMATClub tests and participate in the forums. (In my last attempt, I kept on gathering any d*** material that I can find on the internet. And didn't concentrate on the useful stuff.)
d) Take atleast one CAT exam once a week to test the speed, stamina and weakness.(During my first attempt I didn't take any CAT exam with a fear. A fear - "What if I get a less score". I thought this will bring down my confidence level. But couldn't realize what I am missing if I don't take CAT exam)

I am planning to complete my second attempt before end of November. So let me see how the practice goes on. One thing is very clear in my mind. What ever be the result, this attempt is going to be "The END" for my GMAT exam. And I wish to see a happy ending. (Some times I read debriefs of people going for attempts more than 4. I wonder and appreciate their will-power to achieve their dream score. Definitely I don't have that much patience). So I will have to nail it down if I have to pursue my dream career.

Let me see with what I can fill for the three ? in "???"
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 119 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 21:28
This post received
KUDOS
First thing I thought is let me see how my pacing is in Quant and Verbal. So decided to take one of MGMAT Free Cat exam. D***...There is some problem in the software I guess....Or is it that I pressed some forbidden key. After I complete 25 questions in Verbal, a message popped up stating the exam is done.(There were still around 25 min left on the clock....I am sure about this because I was having a close eye on the timing while I was taking this CAT exam). So I cannot consider this exam.

So here is the break up -

520 - 47(Quant) - 17(Verbal). If I would have completed till the end of the exam, I sure my verbal might be in Mid 20's. One good thing is that, I am still in the race for Quant. From the 37 questions, 1 was from 300 - 500 level, 6 were from 600-700 level and the rest are from 700 - 800 level. (16 wrong out of 37 - But still the raw score is 47. :shock: All the incorrect ans are 700-800 level.)

I am yet to complete the self review of this exam.

One advantage of MGMAT cat is that it is listing me category of the question, time I consumed and also whether I switched my answers back and forth. (I would like to eliminate all careless errors - which in my opinion is when I try to solve the problem again without seeing the answer and was able to solve it correctly the second time, obviously the first time was a careless error). Let me see how many of them were careless error.

One of my imp goals is to have my careless mistakes as minimal as possible.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2161

Kudos [?]: 7606 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 23:02
Expert's post
Good luck on your second attempt. Do you know when your date will be yet?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 23:48
mrsmarthi

you make a lot of valid points. Have game plan for verbal as that seems to be an area of concern.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
Good luck on your second attempt. Do you know when your date will be yet?

My target is to complete the exam before end of November. I don't think I will be having any more patience(both physically and mentally) to fight against the GMAT beyond that.

Thank you for the wishes....I really need them. :)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 21:16
This post received
KUDOS
I am yet to re-analyze my mistakes from last night's MGMAT Free CAT exam. Planning to do that in the morning.

I have changed y verbal strategy slightly for this round of prepartion.

Before even starting on OG12(Fortunately I didn't go thru this book for my first exam) and Verbal Review, I will go thry MGMAT Sc book end to end. The idea here is to first get to understand the topics that will be tested in the GMAT. This book really provides very minuate details - that can easily be ignored if we are not careful. Here is one example that I understand only today after going thru MGMAT Chapter 2 -

Use THAT OF / THOSE OF wisely. Hum what does this mean? Here are two examples -

The GMAT Score I see in my dreams is [THAT OF] 750(THAT OF really sounds crazy in this sentence. But the point to take away here is that 750 itself is a GMAT Score. So THAT OF is NOT NEEDED in this sentence. )

Now consider another example.

The person I met yesterday resembles [THAT OF] a great politician. (Here A great politican is definitely a person. So usage of THAT OF is unnecessary.

See it this way -

The face of a person I met yesterday resembles [THAT OF] a great politician. (Here face of a person CANNOT BE A great politican Instead the face of a person CAN BE the face of (THAT OF) a famous politician. Hence THAT OF is very much needed in this sentence.

Now coming to the plan, I am averaging 1 1/2 day per Chapter. So by Sep 10 I should be able start working on OG 12 - SC. Let me see how this plan works out.

I am planning to have the same approach for RC and CR.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 21:33
mrsmarthi

I would suggest to do the SC questions in OG 11 in conjunction with the chapters. This helped a lot in putting the theory into practice.
Also, i would urge you to start making your own notes or add on to notes found online

I found that the OG12 SC questions were much tougher than OG11 or OG verbal. Well atleast for me.
My 2 cents... cheers!

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 22:27
This post received
KUDOS
snipertrader,

Thank you for the suggestion. I already did OG 11 during my first attempt. So I am afraid I might pick answers correctly probably because I remeber the correct ans choice(yes I believe I have good remembrance power :) ) rather than by knowing the concepts correctly. This way I feel, I will not be able to find my real weakness.

OG 12 is new to me(I assume there are lot many repeats from OG 11) but still, it might judge me where I am. Once I am done with OG12, I might go back to referring OG 11 questions(provided I have that much time)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2161

Kudos [?]: 7606 [1] , given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 00:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mrsmarthi wrote:
snipertrader,

Thank you for the suggestion. I already did OG 11 during my first attempt. So I am afraid I might pick answers correctly probably because I remeber the correct ans choice(yes I believe I have good remembrance power :) ) rather than by knowing the concepts correctly. This way I feel, I will not be able to find my real weakness.

OG 12 is new to me(I assume there are lot many repeats from OG 11) but still, it might judge me where I am. Once I am done with OG12, I might go back to referring OG 11 questions(provided I have that much time)

OG 12 has only 30% of new questions. Some but they are sprinkled all over and hard to pick out. Manhattan has a list of all new questions on their site (link from this post: the-official-guide-for-gmat-12-merged-76806.html.

Here is a secret - OG 10 has the least repeats between all of the OG's. You can pick it up pretty cheaply (if you have access to Amazon or similar)

The only weakness of OG 10 is that it has overlaps with PowerPrep (previous version of GMATPrep).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 07:53
BB,

I never looked at OG10th edition. Probably I will see whether I can practice my verbal from this book. Thank you for letting me know.
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 08:06
bb wrote:
mrsmarthi wrote:
snipertrader,

OG 12 has only 30% of new questions. Some but they are sprinkled all over and hard to pick out. Manhattan has a list of all new questions on their site (link from this post: the-official-guide-for-gmat-12-merged-76806.html.

Here is a secret - OG 10 has the least repeats between all of the OG's. You can pick it up pretty cheaply (if you have access to Amazon or similar)

The only weakness of OG 10 is that it has overlaps with PowerPrep (previous version of GMATPrep).

I used the OG10 and found that I liked it much more than the OG11. mrsmarthi, if you decide to get a copy there is a spreadsheet floating around that sorts the questions in to categories of easy, medium and hard. I focused solely on the hard questions. In addition, I think the OG10 has better explanations.

I have attached the spreadsheet just in case you decide to get the OG10.
Attachments

OG 10th Edition Question Info - Older Excel Version.xls [400 KiB]
Downloaded 143 times

To download please login or register as a user

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
Franklin,

Thank you for the attachment. After I did some googling, I realised that OG 10 is worth to add to my investment of GMAT Prep books. So I ordered the book. Hope your attachment will definitely help me understand the Verbal concepts.

I am not too worried about Quant because I am quite confident I can pull my Quant score to atleast 49 even if I have to fight the GMAT today. What ever help / preparation I am needing now is ONLY for verbal.

I need to improve from lower 20's to atleast upper 30's. How nice to have some magic spell for this. :wink:
Director
Director
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 09:22
I got the same score during Aug 2008 :oops: when I was dreaming for PGPX

Never Mind!I am coming back stronger.

try the following(if you need more advice) for Verbal

also take as many FLTs as possible (I have nt taken one since Feb 2009..)

MGMAT SC book--hard copy-read and revise yr own notes-3rd edn onwards the book is having 200+ pages
If SC is not the weakness then go for PowerScore Bible(CR)
MGMAT CAT 1-6-->take all the Tests and Analyse each Qs(Its Must for Verbal)

I am also thinking of ending my long GMAT saga by Nov/Dec(Hopefully!)

Ya Quants, even i can get 49,easily :wink:

I feel V34/V36 can be scored if one can hold his/her nerves! thats 690-710!

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 10:51
Nitya34,

When I was planning my GMAT(first attempt), I was targetting in in one of IIM's or ISB starting april 2010. But after the score, all my dreams were shattered......(I know that I was weak in verbal. But was hoping for some luck on the D-Day. Isn't it the foolish act on a person to think so? )

Then I lost my interest in GMAT Preparation.To add to that, it is even more challenge for a a working mother with a 2 year old. Hardly can concentrate on my preparation until very late in the night. (Thinking that GMAT is not my cup of tea.) If I have to do MBA, with a 590 score also I can do. But that's not what I wanted. So almost dropped my idea of retaking the exam.

After April, very rarely I was peeking thru GMAT Forums.....But to be frank after reading Bipolarbear debrief and his continuous improvement led me to think, why not I also start a topic of my preparation and religiously layout a plan and record the actuals and see how the ending is going to be. (Thank you BipolarBear for providing the inspiration). I just started my preparation only from last weekend. I am targetting to take the exam in Oct or at the max November. Definitely not beyond that.

So let me see how the ride will be for this time.....

BTW, what are FLTs? I never heard of them.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 11:51
mrsmarthi, i definitely encourage you to retake the gmat especially since you know that you can do much better than 590. I too found it very difficult to study and thus I procrastinated for a good two months before I really started focusing and I definitely think that keeping an online log, blog, or simply sharing your study journal is tremendously helpful. Not only will it keep you motivated and allow you to record your goals but the community support is great and it's a lot easier to know that you're not the only one going through it.

in regards to your materials, sterny's gmatprep document has official questions and explanations taken from gmatprep and can be found here:
750-q49-v44-68657.html . going through that will definitely teach you to narrow down your SCs in a methodological way. remember to avoid shaky materials like kaplan 800 (honestly the first page of its SC section contained errors of SANAM (some any all none most) pronouns...

a helpful method for me was to colloborate with a couple of gmatclub members who were taking the test around the same time as myself. In my case, I monitored the progress of avenusaur and gmanjesh closely and they also provided me with many helpful tips. avenusaur ended up taking his test two weeks before me and got a 770 which really inspired me to crank it up. gmanjesh is taking the test soon and i wish him all the best. studying for the gmat isn't the most interesting experience but at least it doesn't have to be lonely.
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 12:01
Hi mrsmarthi,
welcome back to the forum..The best part is not letting go and coming back with a bang ! If GMAT is a deadly beast one has to kill it so that it doesn't haunt you...there is no way out...:) Take your time and get back to basics. Since it is your second time, I don't think you will take much time on basics except refreshing the concepts....

Good luck. Keep the spirit going..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 13:46
Thankyou Economist.

Now coming back to my preparation, today I have completed one unfinished MGAMT CAT Free exam. I started this off on 4/19/2009(couple of days after my failed attempt) to start afresh. But unfortunately never was able to complete it. So I picked some random ans for Quant to start on Verbal. But never came to the point where I could complet the exam.

Again today is my day for that unfinished exam. Fortunately when I resumed the exam, I am pointed to the first question in the Verbal. This is exactly what I wanted. I did complete my exam. I am least bothered about my quant score. Reason - I picked random ans just to get thru to the Verbal. So here is breakup.

8/26/2009 - Total 420 (Q - 17, V - 30)...... :wink: 420

The good thing about this exercise, is that my verbal score's tens digit is in 3's. Hurray..... :banana

At a high level, here is my breakdown in verbal -

SC - 8(wrong) - 7(Correct) = 50 %
CR - 7(wrong) - 7(Correct) = 50 %
RC - 6(wrong) - 6(Correct) = 50 %

So as of today, my stand on Verbal is around 50%. I need to bring this to atleast 90% + in SC and CR, and close to 80% in RC.

Categories where there are most incorrect answers are -

SC - Verbs, parallelism, pronouns and Modifiers. (Hum I thought I was strong in Parllels but obviusly not. )
RC - Specific detail, Inferrence and Main Idea
CR - Weaken, Assumption, Boldface.

Let me see how many of them are careless mistakes once I complete my self review. I cannot afford to have careless mistakes in Verbal because it costs me a lot. (Oh I forgot to mention - this test was not under a timined condition. But still my verbal shows an upward trend - self boosting factor.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 16:31
Can anyone suggest me a god book(s) / link(s)for RC for Tips / Strategies / different types of RC questions ? RC really is killing my verbal score - in one way I am only 50% correct and in another way it is consuming too much of my time that is impacting my SC and CR. :wall
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 21:51
Today not much of the studying happened. So far, completed Concise, Subject-Verb Agreement, and Parallelism chapters of MGMAT SC. I am yet to do the exercises. Intial plan was to complete Pronouns strategy also. But lagging behind.

I definitely want to dedicate one complete day each for going thru the chapters on Modifiers, Verbs, Comparisions. These are my weakest topics in SC. So this time I don't want to brush thru the pages but rather understand the concept behind them. Hopefully I will complete going thru these chapters by end of this month. So that I can plan for taking up the exercises from all chapters whole of next week. Even these contain lot more valuable information. They do not merely test what you learnt.

Oh, planning to take my first MGMAT CAT # 1 this weekend. Before that I need to atleast understand how to tackle RC's.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 22:08
mrsmarthi wrote:
Can anyone suggest me a god book(s) / link(s)for RC for Tips / Strategies / different types of RC questions ? RC really is killing my verbal score - in one way I am only 50% correct and in another way it is consuming too much of my time that is impacting my SC and CR. :wall

I am by no means an expert in RC...but i generally do the following -

1. Read the question first before reading the para (applies to the 1st RC question)
2. While reading, anticipate what the writer would write next. This will help you "engage" with the writer
3. Create timelines if the para has dates/years
4. Read the last few lines of the para VERY carefully. Sometimes, those lines give a definitive shape to the structure of the para.
5. Look for key words / idioms (this comes with practice). These tend to be the basis of certain questions.
6. Do not assume anything....look for answers within the para itself. If you dont find it, try to look for similar sentences/meanings
7. Last but not least - try to read fast (easier said than done - comes with practice)

Most of the RC para's are dry and hence one's interest level drops. I generally look forward to reading dry para's now as i always feel, i learn something new. Once you feel interested, you will see a dramatic increase in the accuracy in RC

I am sure others can contribute much more valuable tips on RC

Hope this helps

Re: Warmup before second Attempt From a 590 to ???   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2009, 22:08