Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 11:11

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Weak recommendations - what now?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Weak recommendations - what now? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 07:56
Hi all,

I'm working through my recommendations right now, and am realizing now that the unfortunate thing is, I haven't exactly 'excelled' or 'overachieved' in my professional career thus far... which has left my recommenders very little to work with as far as specific stories and examples to share about my qualifications/personality within the workplace. I come from an accounting background, which was an industry I despised, and as a result (admittedly) never really gave it 100% and more just went through the motions.

Is there any way around this, and how important will this be on the impact of my overall application?
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Weak recommendations - what now? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 08:46
similar boat, but not viewing it as negatively. I am from a big firm, sort of accounting/reporting, and its tough to stand out.

I did list out for my recommenders what I felt my strengths are, some examples via accomplishments and sent them on their way. Hopefully that jogged their memories, I am fairly well liked by them. What can the school expect if you work in a big company as one of many analysts/accountants? I at least picked people I work with daily who can speak to my personality, strengths, weakenesses and how Ive improved over time. the rest is a crapshoot/
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Weak recommendations - what now? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 08:51
Do not worry as this is not an uncommon situation and there are some ways to mitigate the matter. What you need to do is get a few 'letters of support" from people who have high regard from you either in a professional, academic or community service setting. The key is you are going to have to have these letters of support submitted via paper or email so they will not be considered recommendations. Also, do not submit too many -- two at maximum. Lastly, these letters should only be a few paragraphs long and specifically support your candidacy and present one example of an area you excelled in.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Weak recommendations - what now? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 03:28
Expert's post
Dbalks wrote:
similar boat, but not viewing it as negatively. I am from a big firm, sort of accounting/reporting, and its tough to stand out.

I did list out for my recommenders what I felt my strengths are, some examples via accomplishments and sent them on their way. Hopefully that jogged their memories, I am fairly well liked by them. What can the school expect if you work in a big company as one of many analysts/accountants? I at least picked people I work with daily who can speak to my personality, strengths, weaknesses and how Ive improved over time. the rest is a crapshoot/

Well, obviously it's better if you can get someone who would be at least a little bit excited about YOU, personally, if not professionally. but even if we aren't all in ecstasy about accounting ;), still, people are usually reasonable and know how things work - meaning that you should be able to choose some manager or someone who would write relatively impressive things because they know that that is what is demanded of them. and of course, you can help them along the way too, by jogging their memory.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Weak recommendations - what now? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 03:29
Expert's post
PS - But try not to "settle" for a weak recommendation, but rather do what you can to get as strong recs as you possibly can.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Weak recommendations - what now?   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2012, 03:29