Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3rd Attempt, what to do differently?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 05-26-2012
GPA: 3.2
WE: Supply Chain Management (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

3rd Attempt, what to do differently? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 16:03
Hi Folks. My 1st two attempts weak, 600 then 570 (39/29). My practice scores have been ascending nicely to the 720's and was floored when got the 570 two weeks ago. I haven't touched anything GMAT since but got some inspiration today (my mom's year death anniversary).

So... what should I do differently? If I do what I did last two times I am afraid of the same (or worse!) result.

I've gone through most of OG12, I will continue to hammer it and complete it but I'm not sure if it will help. I went through MGMAT study guides and Aristotle SC. Most difficult part is that I don't know what my weak areas are! On my last 2 MGMAT CATs I got 97% verbal but obviously no where close on the real thing. I think it must be the nerves on test day that get to me.

So... any suggestions on what to do differently this time around?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-12-2012
GPA: 3.42
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 17:54
My suggestion for you would be go thoroughly with which section you find it difficult. Also in where you do most mistakes. Go over it again and again. Brush up your other strong areas. If possible spend good amount time with a particular section try to comprehend their meaning. Other than OG have you tried the practice questions of GMAT club? I'm saving this test when I will be done with my complete study. What are the books you are following?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Re: 3rd Attempt, what to do differently? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 19:23
dmk112 wrote:
Hi Folks. My 1st two attempts weak, 600 then 570 (39/29). My practice scores have been ascending nicely to the 720's and was floored when got the 570 two weeks ago. I haven't touched anything GMAT since but got some inspiration today (my mom's year death anniversary).

So... what should I do differently? If I do what I did last two times I am afraid of the same (or worse!) result.

I've gone through most of OG12, I will continue to hammer it and complete it but I'm not sure if it will help. I went through MGMAT study guides and Aristotle SC. Most difficult part is that I don't know what my weak areas are! On my last 2 MGMAT CATs I got 97% verbal but obviously no where close on the real thing. I think it must be the nerves on test day that get to me.

So... any suggestions on what to do differently this time around?

You should be able to generate reports on the MGMAT website that can tell you which question areas you got correct and which were incorrect. I found those helpful in finding my weak areas.

Also, are you going through the OG problems and finding WHY you got them incorrect?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 82

Re: 3rd Attempt, what to do differently? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 22:36
HImba88 wrote:
You should be able to generate reports on the MGMAT website that can tell you which question areas you got correct and which were incorrect. I found those helpful in finding my weak areas.

Also, are you going through the OG problems and finding WHY you got them incorrect?

can u tell me how to generate reports on MGMAT WEBSITE??

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: 3rd Attempt, what to do differently? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 23:56
sanjoo wrote:
HImba88 wrote:

After log-in (CAT Exams), you will find "your assesment report" between " Exam Instruction" and " CAT exams".
Click generate assessment report and customize in your way.

BTW, error-log maintanance and follow-up can be helpful for you. And whenever take the simulation, set timed condition.
HTH.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Re: 3rd Attempt, what to do differently? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 00:16
G800 wrote:
sanjoo wrote:
HImba88 wrote:

After log-in (CAT Exams), you will find "your assesment report" between " Exam Instruction" and " CAT exams".
Click generate assessment report and customize in your way.

BTW, error-log maintanance and follow-up can be helpful for you. And whenever take the simulation, set timed condition.
HTH.

Thanks G800. Took the words right out of my mouth
Intern
Intern

Re: 3rd Attempt, what to do differently? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 16:24
All, thanks for the responses. I've done the assessment at MGMAT. I mean I was scoring 97% on the verbal! Not many weak areas there! So I'm just confused why I bombed the real thing.

I haven't tried the Gmat Club tests yet but not sure if more tests is the answer. I need to find out what I need to do differently for this next exam as I think if I just repeat and "study harder" I will fall into this trap again.

Any other thoughts?
Intern
Intern

Re: 3rd Attempt, what to do differently? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 23:22
GmatSlayer112 wrote:
All, thanks for the responses. I've done the assessment at MGMAT. I mean I was scoring 97% on the verbal! Not many weak areas there! So I'm just confused why I bombed the real thing.

I haven't tried the Gmat Club tests yet but not sure if more tests is the answer. I need to find out what I need to do differently for this next exam as I think if I just repeat and "study harder" I will fall into this trap again.

Any other thoughts?

idea of "go through" is not enough when you have already eliminated 3 options and confused between 2 remaining ! Here comes the question of internalization of a concept. Now a days "pick me" type questions are avaiable only in practice materials NOT in REAL EXAM.

IMO indepth study is must to hold nerve and to answer efficiently on G-day.

MUST: Re-do OGs - 10,11,12,13 with explanation and error-log management.
1. Emphasis on MGMAT CAT 1,2 (they are much harder than 3,4,5- personal opinion)
2. MGMAT SC + CR Bible + Aristotle (vebal referenc)
3. Emphasis on MGMAT Ouant 1,2 (number propertise and inequality)- DS and most of the PS will be covered
4. Geometry: Varitas prep

Again, take exam in timed condition and save energy for verbal !
Intern
Intern

Re: 3rd Attempt, what to do differently? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 17:13
G800 wrote:
GmatSlayer112 wrote:

Any other thoughts?

idea of "go through" is not enough when you have already eliminated 3 options and confused between 2 remaining ! Here comes the question of internalization of a concept. Now a days "pick me" type questions are avaiable only in practice materials NOT in REAL EXAM.

IMO indepth study is must to hold nerve and to answer efficiently on G-day.

MUST: Re-do OGs - 10,11,12,13 with explanation and error-log management.
1. Emphasis on MGMAT CAT 1,2 (they are much harder than 3,4,5- personal opinion)
2. MGMAT SC + CR Bible + Aristotle (vebal referenc)
3. Emphasis on MGMAT Ouant 1,2 (number propertise and inequality)- DS and most of the PS will be covered
4. Geometry: Varitas prep

Again, take exam in timed condition and save energy for verbal !

Thanks. With your comment of practice exams vs real exam, that could be a problem. If the practice materials are that much easier then what do you study to get yourself up to the READ EXAM level?
Intern
Intern

Re: 3rd Attempt, what to do differently? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 20:44
Personal opinion: 2 contender pactice materials frequently appear on mgmat cat1 and 2 BUT not in later cats.
When we test ourselves in timed condition, we simply develop the attitude to cope a 4 hr exam, answer 37 maths without any break,answer 41verbal with 4 boaring rc and ir and essay in a row. And we study to have the confidence, nerve and ATTITUDE on the gday.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: 3rd Attempt, what to do differently?   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2012, 20:44