Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall'08 applicants [#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
riverripper wrote:
You forget that I am from a place colder on average than Chicago. I am not a sissy, I can handle the cold.

Like I said before, I would rather suffer in the cold than die in an earthquake, fire, flash flood, land slide or one of the other natural wonders of Cali.

Nope, didn't forget, just learned from talking to all the peeps from Boston and NYC area that Chicago is colder because of the wind, not just the avg temperature.

To each their own, earthquake happens and I'm dead, much easier than 4-6 months of cold. :P

i really think people exaggerate the cold in chicago ( i live in chicago) - its really not that bad. i have lived in NY and Mass and honestly the difference in weather is not worth picking one over the other. however, chicago's summers are AMAZING!

now, if i had to pick btn chicago and california with regards to weather, thats a whole other conversation!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Ouch. Those are some mean comments from the GSB side! :lol:

Going into this, I felt more people picked Kellogg over Chicago actually. But Rhyme mentioned in a chat that he thought the split was basically 50-50 and I now agree with him. The schools are just so similar in reputation that it likely will always be near an even split, especially bc they each have unique strengths. That said, I think both are very strong in everything.

[quote="ghgirl"

i have met a lot of people who picked chicago over kellogg - couple of reasons where in their opinion, smarter students, more momentum with the program....dont really get the smarter students thingy though, i mean, the way some people talk you will think kellogg is teaching finger painting (someone literally said this to me :shock:)

anyhow, i even started checking out apartments in evanston so unless i am totally turned off at DAK (and river is convinced that i will fall in love so that better happen! LOL) i will probably be headed to Kellogg.

i will miss gsb though - they have shown me much love.....[/quote]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
haha, gh, maybe I'll convince you to come to Cali sometime :P

ouch! did admitted students say that about Kellogg or current students? I have NOT heard anyone from Anderson or Haas diss other schools so far. :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ghgirl wrote:
i have met a lot of people who picked chicago over kellogg - couple of reasons where in their opinion, smarter students, more momentum with the program....dont really get the smarter students thingy though, i mean, the way some people talk you will think kellogg is teaching finger painting (someone literally said this to me :shock:)

I think this year I have heard of more people taking Kellogg over GSB, including our very own apolloluna (and she is in finance). I must say that I have noticed the GSB people (students and admits on BW) say far more negative things about Kellogg than the other way around. It seems there is supposed to be a cross town rivalry but I havent heard a much negative talk from Kellogg folks about GSB but have heard a bunch of GSB folks bad mouth K. Both schools can stand on their own and really dont need to say anything negative about the other school...I find it sad that someone would stoop to a low enough point to make a comment about finger painting, that is the type of comment that can give a student body a bad reputation for the interpersonal skills.

I dont get the momentum thing, I guess when you are a top 5 school every single year only trailing H/S/W there really isnt any room to move up. When you were ranked 6-9 for a while and then move up that I guess would be momentum. They have been tied for the last few years so I dont see how GSB is moving beyond them...also remember the last few years have been great for finance and with the downturn that will affect finance schools more when it comes to rankings/opinions.

Seriously though, both schools are amazing and you wont go wrong where ever you end up. They are both "top 5" schools and will be considered such for a long time. Find which one you feel more comfortable at and which one fits your personality and goals the best. You may decide GSB is a better fit and the advantage K has in your field isnt enough to win you over. However, I have faith you will love DAK as much as all of us and will be looking forward to joining my finger painting group this fall in Evanston.
Current Student
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
haha, gh, maybe I'll convince you to come to Cali sometime :P

ouch! did admitted students say that about Kellogg or current students? I have NOT heard anyone from Anderson or Haas diss other schools so far. :(

kry, it was both current and admitted students. the admitted students who picked chicago over kellogg said that after attending DAK and meeting students they just didn't feel like the students were as smart at chicago students (to be fair they did not say it in a mean way, more of in a i just want to be around people who love to be challenged academically). i guess this is where "fit" comes in because some people view the whole kellogg collaborative thing as hand holding and feel like they will not be pushed as much academically....

if only stanford had shown me love, i will be on my way to cali.....almost applied to berkeley....they are also very strong in social enterprise but after three apps i was so out of it!
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
ghgirl wrote:

I think this year I have heard of more people taking Kellogg over GSB, including our very own apolloluna (and she is in finance). I must say that I have noticed the GSB people (students and admits on BW) say far more negative things about Kellogg than the other way around. It seems there is supposed to be a cross town rivalry but I havent heard a much negative talk from Kellogg folks about GSB but have heard a bunch of GSB folks bad mouth K. Both schools can stand on their own and really dont need to say anything negative about the other school...I find it sad that someone would stoop to a low enough point to make a comment about finger painting, that is the type of comment that can give a student body a bad reputation for the interpersonal skills.

I dont get the momentum thing, I guess when you are a top 5 school every single year only trailing H/S/W there really isnt any room to move up. When you were ranked 6-9 for a while and then move up that I guess would be momentum. They have been tied for the last few years so I dont see how GSB is moving beyond them...also remember the last few years have been great for finance and with the downturn that will affect finance schools more when it comes to rankings/opinions.

Seriously though, both schools are amazing and you wont go wrong where ever you end up. They are both "top 5" schools and will be considered such for a long time. Find which one you feel more comfortable at and which one fits your personality and goals the best. You may decide GSB is a better fit and the advantage K has in your field isnt enough to win you over. However, I have faith you will love DAK as much as all of us and will be looking forward to joining my finger painting group this fall in Evanston.

i just imagined all of us first years sitting in a class with happy faces and finger painting (sigh) there was a point when life was that simple...

i really do think i will enjoy my time at DAK though - i am so looking forward to it. i actually thought this decision will be much easier but chicago gsb literally blew me away when i spent a day there (i am going to miss admit weekend so i spent some time there).

i must say though that if i really cant decide and feel equally about both of them i will pick kellogg over chicago because KWEST has so many more options than Random Walks :lol: :woohoo ......i so have my priorities straight!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
sometimes i feel waitlisted candidates should be allowed at the admit weekends too!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
bewakoof wrote:
sometimes i feel waitlisted candidates should be allowed at the admit weekends too!

Having gone to an admit weekend as a WLd candidate during undergrad, I can say that its a bad idea hehe.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
ghgirl,

I do think KWEST is way cooler than Random Walks. Also, I think there's a huge excitement difference between both programs. Didn't you see all the itineraries? Haha.. I think they all look fun.. except the ones that have "L" in the Comfort & Nightlife part. LOL.
Current Student
Send PM
bee186 wrote:
ghgirl,

I do think KWEST is way cooler than Random Walks. Also, I think there's a huge excitement difference between both programs. Didn't you see all the itineraries? Haha.. I think they all look fun.. except the ones that have "L" in the Comfort & Nightlife part. LOL.

yep...i am not even looking at those. i am one of those super lazy people who is looking for the more relaxing, cultural, tours, beaches type experience....NO HIKING, CAMPING or anything which remotely comes close to requiring any effort
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
ghgirl wrote:
yep...i am not even looking at those. i am one of those super lazy people who is looking for the more relaxing, cultural, tours, beaches type experience....NO HIKING, CAMPING or anything which remotely comes close to requiring any effort

amen to that!!! :P KWEST looks awesome, something I do really want to do.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Like I said before, I would rather suffer in the cold than die in an earthquake, fire, flash flood, land slide or one of the other natural wonders of Cali.

looks like you may need to find a new school to go to, river :wink:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... t-ear.html

Considering how the "El" is constructed, especially around the Loop, I'd be VERY afraid. :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
riverripper wrote:

looks like you may need to find a new school to go to, river :wink:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... t-ear.html

Considering how the "El" is constructed, especially around the Loop, I'd be VERY afraid. :P

Wow Kellogg is pulling all the stops out to make you feel at home Kry.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
haha, I know, and it's working... knocked off roughly 20% of Haas' lead in the past 1.5 days, and the closing ceremony is coming up. It'll come down to the nitty-gritties... Kellogg is simply an AMAZING school. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
ugh, tired... exhausted... going to bed... it was SO FUN meeting TJ, ghgirl, ujjib, and futuredukemba (sorry, I had to put that in :P) at DAK II. I had a BLAST here and loved the school. Pretty much a very similar experience as DAH last weekend. Now I just need to let the euphoria settle and make my decision in a day or two. I think Kellogg has just gotten a couple more matriculators tonight (hint: not me :P).

More on the full experience after I get home and sleep...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
Looking forward to hearing the report from those who recently attended DAK! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
As an admit who are not able to attend DAK, please please write about your DAK experience :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  93   94   95   96   97  ...  100