Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall'08 applicants [#permalink]
Kry, that was an excellent post. I wish you would join us in Evanston next year, but I can't argue with your decision if you end up at Haas. You will excel anywhere.

As for who is is Decided, Undecided, and those who arent in favor of K, here are my guesses:

ghgirl - Pro Kellogg
futuredukemba - Pro Kellogg
TJ - Undecided
terry12 - Not going to K
kry - Not going to K
ujjib - Not going to K

kryzak wrote:
I guess I will start while my memory is fresh. Just landed back home in the bay area. In short, I HAD A BLAST at DAK! :)

First of all, I can't believe how nice and friendly every GMATClubber I've met have been. We took a group photo of the 6 of us (ghgirl, futuredukemba, terry12, ujjib, TJ, and myself) at the end because we had so much fun hanging out and chatting with each other. I think the friendship and bond between us GMATClub "regulars" is almost (if not equally) as strong as the bond we'll form in b-school. :)

Alright, DAK is structured a bit differently than DAH, and I like some of the aspects more and some less. I'll try to go through each major part of the program and comment on it:

Friday:

Opening Ceremony:

Fun, energetic, cool! Beth Flye was very welcoming and the "one of you..." speech was very impressive. No stats were quoted for some reason, maybe I just forgot. Definitely more "media intensive" than DAH's opening (which was more laid back)

Section Time:

The intros were fun and got to learn about others. As I mentioned before, it was strange to have someone approach me wanting to learn more about the defense industry. :P

Sessions:

I'll talk about all three sessions here, 2 were on Friday, 1 on Saturday. terry12 and I skipped the Saturday one because the Housing/Tour of Kellogg didn't really interest us (and we REALLY needed sleep after Friday night :P). I did 2 chats with students (talked to about 4-5 students in total, including a JD/MBA and a UC Berkeley alum). Definitely gave me a good sense of what Marketing is, what Special K is about (sounds very fun), and how to survive Chicago winters. Otherwise, the financial aid info wasn't really useful if you've sat through at least 1 or 2 other admit weekend talks...

Professor Roundtables:

the Entrepreneurship talk was sort of dry, though they did highlight the programs that Kellogg has through the Levy Center. Not bad at all. The Management/Strategy professor was very strange... reminded all of us of some TV actor... Didn't like the part where someone asked him to compare Kellogg's management/strategy program with other schools and he pretty much dissed many schools (yet never mentioned H/S/W or even Haas... interesting...)

Overall, the roundtables weren't that useful.

Academics:

Dean Chopra was an ok speaker, and his "4 pillars" speech was good, but remarkably similar to what other school's talk about (Haas talked about similar topics). The Kellogg Student Association VP of Academics was one of the best speakers I've ever seen (along with the MBA Association president at Anderson). We were all VERY impressed by his style, even though the content wasn't anything new.

Mini Classes:

I got a young but very good professor on Advertising Strategy, and that was VERY informative. The corporate finance professor afterwards was good, but a bit dry, and I almost fell asleep due to jet lag and having an exhausting day so far. Good professors, though I have a feeling that the Haas professors might be slightly better at teaching based on what I've seen. Of course, that's a tiny sample, so one cannot really judge based on this.

TG:

TG it self was just a "free drinks" and socialize time, but the KWEST fair was simply IMPRESSIVE. KWEST is definitely one of the biggest pros for going to Kellogg. A fellow Haas vs Kellogg admit were already signing up for the high comfort and low activity trips, ha ha.

Taste of Evanston:

terry12 and I went to the Austin dinner at a restaurant just across from McManus. The group of students there (1st, 2nd, and admits) were impressive and gave us some very good insights on what the program is about and the special events they plan every quarter. We were both very impressed by the caliber of the students there.

Experience Evanston:

Got to chat with Beth Flye for about 1-2 hours at a private party. She is simply an amazing woman who defines the term "Southern Charm and Hospitality". First thing she said to me was, "Follow your heart with your decision." No pressure at all, no selling, just very good advice. She's actually very good friends with the Haas director, Pete Johnson, so we talked about that a bit more. Wonderful, wonderful woman.

Saturday

Career Service:

Not a bad talk, but not the most useful. Pretty much the same thing that most Career Services provide. The free alumni career advisors was very good though.

Career Breakout Lunches:

this was the MOST useful part of the day. I sat in Hi-Tech and Entrepreneurship. Both groups of students from the clubs pretty much convinced me of what I had a hunch about already, that I cannot make a mistake career wise picking Kellogg or Haas. The hi-tech opportunities are very good at Kellogg, especially at the bigger companies. Smaller companies will require a lot more work contacting alums. The entrepreneurship program is growing, and there are some good students going into startups, starting companies, and working in VCs. The club membership is definitely smaller than schools like Haas and Anderson which focuses more on entrepreneurship, but they broke off Entrepreneurship Club from the old Private Equity and Entrepreneurship Club, so it shows that they are putting more effort into that program. What it also taught me is that if the opportunities are equal, I have to go down to the "nitty-gritty" decision factors, ones which normally would not make or break the deal for me by themselves (convenience, weather, SO, cost, contacts, familiarity, etc...)

Dean Jain:

WOW! I was completely stunned and speechless after this wonderous speech. It was amazing how he was so personable and weaved all these amazing anecdotes (including him barely escaping the Phuket Tsunami in 2004 with his family!!!) into what is wonderful about Kellogg. I'm sure that speech alone convinced many people to matriculate!

Student Life Experience:

Very funny and well done. I especially liked how Kellogg values diversity and how everyone accepts everyone without question.

Keynote Speaker:

I don't think this was really necessary, but it was nice to see an older alum come back and still be so passionate about Kellogg.

Club Fair:

Very fun, got to learn about some clubs that I normally would not join (consulting, marketing).

Chicago:

The reception at Soldier Field was a LOT of fun, allowing us to really socialize with fellow admits and other students. It also allowed us GMATClubbers to really chat with each other and compare notes. I will say that 2 people were convinced to go to Kellogg, 3 were not, and 1 undecided. I'll let you all figure out who's who in the next few days, haha! :P

Experience Chicago at Zella's:

I had a lot of fun doing some final chats with some Haas vs Kellogg admits, many were on the fence, some were sure to go to Kellogg, some for Haas... I'd guess out of 12 or so of us whom I met, roughly 5-6 are going to Kellogg for sure, 3-4 Haas, and 2-4 undecided (completely 50-50). There were a few others who were also considering HBS, Chicago, MIT, and Wharton on top of Haas vs Kellogg, so I don't know where they'll go in the end.

Overall Experience:

Great great weekend. I personally think the student body at Kellogg and Haas are extremely similar in terms of culture, collaboration, sharpness, and friendliness. I made some good friends at both, and I would be very very happy at both. Neither are perfect (unfortunately), but I don't think a "perfect" school exists, just the "best fit". Haas' schedules were alternating between panels/talks and mingle sessions, which kept me awake better, but Haas didn't give enough time in between events to chat with other admits and students. Kellogg had a lot more admit/student interaction time, but some of the events dragged on a bit long and there were too many back-to-back talks.

Speaking to the effectiveness of DAK, I went in with an 80-20 Haas lead, and came out with a roughly 55-45 split. I need to make a few calls to some Haas staff and students on Monday to clarify some questions that came up from DAK, and will see if that split holds. It definitely sucks to not be able to go to both schools (I wish they had a quarterly exchange program or something), but that's life, and we gotta make tough choices. This will probably be the toughest one of them all. I can say that Kellogg did manage to convince most of the people deciding between GSB and Kellogg, Sloan and Kellogg, and Wharton and Kellogg. Those with the most trouble are Haas vs Kellogg and Duke vs Kellogg, probably because of the similar cultures.

Hope this write-up helps future Kellogg applicants. If the current split stays after tomorrow and I end up at Haas (most likely), I will still remain a full supporter of Kellogg and encourage people to apply there too and make the decision themselves. Looking forward to reading others' reactions to DAK II.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
mgoblue,

You definitely guessed right for me. handle change time :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
MGOBLUE2 wrote:
Kry, that was an excellent post. I wish you would join us in Evanston next year, but I can't argue with your decision if you end up at Haas. You will excel anywhere.

As for who is is Decided, Undecided, and those who arent in favor of K, here are my guesses:

ghgirl - Pro Kellogg
futuredukemba - Pro Kellogg
TJ - Undecided
terry12 - Not going to K
kry - Not going to K
ujjib - Not going to K

Thank you MGO! And BTW, great guesses... I think you're right on quite a few of those, but wrong on 2 of them. :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
I think Kry is undecided and TJ is not going :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
BTW, for those who do not know this already. I met Kry in person and he is truly an awesome individual. He is just as amazing in person and was our unofficial DAK moderator. All the other gmatclubbers at DAK II were also very nice and extremely personable as well. Even if you guys dont end up as Kellogg, I still want to keep in touch because I had a blast getting to know everyone.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
futuredukemba wrote:
BTW, for those who do not know this already. I met Kry in person and he is truly an awesome individual. He is just as amazing in person and was our unofficial DAK moderator. All the other gmatclubbers at DAK II were also very nice and extremely personable as well. Even if you guys dont end up as Kellogg, I still want to keep in touch because I had a blast getting to know everyone.

You think that if we started a "We Want Kry" petition among Kellogg admits, it could sway the decision?

Signed:

Steel
(I imagine RiverRipper and futuredukemba are fairly safe signatories here)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Steel wrote:
futuredukemba wrote:

You think that if we started a "We Want Kry" petition among Kellogg admits, it could sway the decision?

Signed:

Steel
(I imagine RiverRipper and futuredukemba are fairly safe signatories here)

Pls include me in the petition. Kry is AWESOME and we would love to have him at Kellogg. It was really nice to meet fellow gmatclubbers.

DAK II was fun (although exhausting). Kry has done a good job of outlining the activities. I liked that the Kellogg students were passionate about their school and they seemed more into the quality of their experience as opposed to just getting a great job (which most of them had).

Dean Jain's speech was very inspiring - I wish I could be that good of a public speaker!

I have decided to go with Kellogg. It was a tough decision because I really liked both programs but I think Kellogg will provide better career options and I decided that if I like the students when I visited DAK II, I will go with Kellogg although I really liked Chicago as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Definitely in agreement with futuredukemba... it was terrific to meet everyone, and yep, kry's one terrific dude. So I hope you won't be offended if I start an anti-petition, Steel. I'm trying to keep Kryzak in the Bay Area :-D

Kryzak gave such a detailed report that I don't have much to add. I'll break down comments by topic in a manner similar to his.

Opening ceremony/Section time
I combined both of 'em because they left me with the same impression. Kellogg students are incredibly enthusiastic. The "rah rah" mentality (I mean that in a good way) was evident from the start and continued for the rest of the weekend. Our section leaders were terrific, and I thought the other prospectives in the section were really cool.

Sessions
Attended two... first was a chat with current students (the one I spoke with was really informative and honest). I honestly don't remember the other one. Hmm...

Professor Roundtables
I attended biotech/healthcare and general management. I really enjoyed biotech/healthcare... Prof Lo(e)ffler, the director of the program, is really enthusiastic. They've just overhauled the healthcare/biotech program, I take that as a good sign. I'll talk more about this in discussing the student lunches.

General management was ... unusual. The professor (the chair of the management program, I believe) was entertaining but didn't provide a lot of useful info. Further, as Kryzak reported, he slammed several other schools, which I found pretty lame. Kry, he did slam HBS (remember his mini-tirade about Michael Porter?) and Wharton as well. I think he spared Stanford because he got his PhD there.

Mini Classes
I was in the same classes as Kryzak. Agree with him, thought the Advertising class was awesome.

TG
Similar to what Kryzak said. I was very impressed with KWEST as well. Along these lines, the bonding of Kellogg students via KWEST, CIM, GIM, and the winter break ski trip is really cool. There's a reason why everyone's so enthusiastic.

Taste of Evanston
I really enjoyed the dinner with the Austin group as well. An amazing group of people doing amazing things. And a lot of fun as well.

Experience Evanston
I hit the Keg- a local bar- to hear some Kellogg bands. Lots of fun. I was persuaded into a prolonged stint at the flip cup table. My liver was not amused.

Career Breakout Lunches
Did biotech/healthcare and VC/PE. The students at both panels were really informative and open. The healthcare group is small but growing and the VC/PE club is starting to make strides. To be honest, though, this is where I kinda made my decision. Everyone at Kellogg is terrific, but I'm likely to have more opportunities in healthcare-related entrepreneurship and VC at Stanford.

The rest of the day/night
Not much else to say. Soldier Field was incredible (the Bears are my favorite NFC team), and Zella's was a lot of fun.

In summary, Kellogg's a terrific school. I know I would've been very happy there. But I don't thinK I can say no to two years in Palo Alto :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
futureKELLOGGmba (:wink:), ghgirl, terry, steel, you guys are too kind. I try my best to be nice, you just saw my good side, that's all. :P

Flip Cup: What's with that game. I played it for the first time (with lemonade) at Days at Haas, and then they have it at DAK too. I've *never* heard of that game before (and I've seen quite a few drinking games). It's fun, though I can't get the cup to flip over to save my life!

Dissing Schools: Oh yeah, I forgot Porter was from HBS/Wharton. Yeah, he was totally dissing Porter, like "he got it right back then, but he's no longer in the forefront anymore" kind of stuff. It really turned me off.

Decision to come soon...
Current Student
Send PM
C'mon Kry... Kellogg all the way!!! :-D

You guys can put me in that petition!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Glad to see you guys had a good time at DAK...Though I think we had all written Terry off as a Stanford guy and even if Kry wouldn't admit it we knew he would end up there. I look forward to meeting the rest of you there this fall.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Haha, I've never hidden the fact that Haas was leading over 75% until DAK. :P

I'll definitely visit. Might even come for a TG sometime in October if school permits (after our mid-semester finals). Stay tuned!
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Haha, I've never hidden the fact that Haas was leading over 75% until DAK. :P

I'll definitely visit. Might even come for a TG sometime in October if school permits (after our mid-semester finals). Stay tuned!

I'll raise a toast to that!
Current Student
Send PM
Raise your hands if you are constantly daydreaming about your last day at work!

I just spent my morning browsing through KWEST itineraries.. (again).. looking at those beaches.. pictures of smiling happy people.. *sigh*..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
haha, dreaming? I have 3-4 hours left this week, hahaha. :P

Oh KWEST, how I will miss thee... :(
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
bee186 wrote:
Raise your hands if you are constantly daydreaming about your last day at work!

I just spent my morning browsing through KWEST itineraries.. (again).. looking at those beaches.. pictures of smiling happy people.. *sigh*..

I am about as stir crazy as I have ever been in my entire life hehe. I am starting to lose it because of the built up anticipation of what is just literally days away.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Alright so who else has made their decision? It sounds like futureDUKEmba, ghgirl, and SkiC will be joining us. How about the rest of you?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  94   95   96   97   98  ...  100