Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross: R1, Insead, ISB R2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 14:01
Anyone else had problems getting the notifications delivered to recommenders? The app says its sent, but the person is not receiving it. I've got the system admin to check the spam tools, add the domain to safe sender list etc. Tried re-sending it a few times to no avail :-(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 16:43
Please add me to R1. Good luck all
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 22:01
LEtranger, you are not alone. I sent out mine last Friday and apparently, my boss hasn't received it. Maybe I should call them or something, as the deadline is just a month away.

Sorry to bring my question again, but I really want to know :o

Jerz or riverripper or other Kellogg-ians:

I've talked to some 2nd year students about RE at Kellogg, and surprisingly, I was told that 1/3 goes into finance, including real estate. I know there is a formal RE Program, in addition to RE Lab course and Club, but nothing that is really exclusive to Kellogg. Can you shed some light on RE curriculum/program @ Kellogg?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross: R1, Insead, ISB R2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 22:05
chostein...fyi my Boss did receive it today, all of my resends :D. She was a bit annoyed at how many "reminders" she was getting :)
Stanford Thread Master
Schools: Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 68

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 15:58
I've been waffling between round one and round two for a while, but given how everyone says Kellogg's essays are a great set to start with, I'm in for round one. I just finished an outline for my first essay.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 09:01
chostein wrote:

Jerz or riverripper or other Kellogg-ians:

I've talked to some 2nd year students about RE at Kellogg, and surprisingly, I was told that 1/3 goes into finance, including real estate. I know there is a formal RE Program, in addition to RE Lab course and Club, but nothing that is really exclusive to Kellogg. Can you shed some light on RE curriculum/program @ Kellogg?

Sorry, I'm really not familiar with the RE program. I know there are people who are pursuing RE, but I've never really talked to them about what courses or resources are available since it's not an interest of mine. You may want to reach out to one of the officers in the RE club - they could probably answer your questions better.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 09:36
Thanks, Jerz. Did just that.

Looks like they renovated the website :-D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 10:44
Question: In Part 1 of the application, under the GMAT section it says:

* GMAT scores are valid for up to five years from the date the test was taken. The score must be valid by the application submission deadline to which you are applying.
* Please report both your raw score and percentile rank on each section of the GMAT.
* If you have taken the test more than once, please include your highest total as well as your most recent scores, even if both scores are the same.
* If you have not taken the GMAT, please indicate the scheduled test date.

I have taken the GMAT twice but my most recent is also my highest. There are two spots for GMAT scores but if it only asks for the highest AND most recent, do I need to even enter in the first score?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (Rd 1 Ding), Stanford (Rd 1 Ding), Haas (Rd 1 Admit!!!), Booth (Rd 2-Int Ding), Anderson (Rd 2-Int Admit!!)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 18:43
Did any of you guys receive an email about changes to essay 2 regarding leadership experiences??? Am I crazy or is the question exactly the same?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 19:07
oski24 wrote:
Did any of you guys receive an email about changes to essay 2 regarding leadership experiences??? Am I crazy or is the question exactly the same?

I saw that too oski. You're not alone. I had to do a quadruple-take to make sure, but looks the same to me. O_o
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 20:02
Ditto.....wtf??
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 05:30
That was probably the scariest email I've opened all week. I have no idea what 'earlier version' they're referring to.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Booth

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 11:39
It said leadership experience, singular, before.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (Rd 1 Ding), Stanford (Rd 1 Ding), Haas (Rd 1 Admit!!!), Booth (Rd 2-Int Ding), Anderson (Rd 2-Int Admit!!)

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 13:58
No it was plural before...it is just in bold this time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 17:16
The only difference is in the last word.

Old: MBA experiences
New: MBA experience

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 08:20
i am contemplating on kellog but i already have 2 reaches - cbs (dinged) and yale (prob to be dinged). I have stern as another possible reach... is kellog tougher to get in than stern? i have 2.92/3.27/720 for ug/g/gmat... ~65 months exp

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 12:15
A fellow applicant targeting R1 if I can get that hallowed 3rd essay done!!

Need a clarification please. I am seeing many suggestions as to not repeat information throughout application. Are you considering part1 and part2 as separate components? My XC's and community work will definitely have to be put in "Activities" section of part 1, and I will put everything else in resume. So it is pretty difficult for me to discuss anything outside to what that have been introduced in part 1 apps.
I assume when you're saying "do not duplicate/repeat", you are basically suggesting not to duplicate the same verbiage that I use in my resume/activities list in my essays. Ex. "Leading X people for Y years." in resume and Essay 1. I hope my understanding is correct.

University of Georgia - Terry College of Business
Full-time MBA Class of 2013
Terry College of Business Thread on GMATCLUB
On twitter: http://twitter.com/TerryMBA
On FB: http://www.facebook.com/TerryMBA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 13:24
Would an internship during college (not for college credit and not paid) count as an EC? I have good EC's from my time since college, but don't have any while I was in college and want to be able to list something. Will it look bad if I just leave it blank? I was working full time and focused on keeping my grades very high, plus the internship for one semester, so EC's took a back burner. Thanks for any advice. I'm in for R1!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 13:27
thedarklard wrote:
A fellow applicant targeting R1 if I can get that hallowed 3rd essay done!!

Need a clarification please. I am seeing many suggestions as to not repeat information throughout application. Are you considering part1 and part2 as separate components? My XC's and community work will definitely have to be put in "Activities" section of part 1, and I will put everything else in resume. So it is pretty difficult for me to discuss anything outside to what that have been introduced in part 1 apps.
I assume when you're saying "do not duplicate/repeat", you are basically suggesting not to duplicate the same verbiage that I use in my resume/activities list in my essays. Ex. "Leading X people for Y years." in resume and Essay 1. I hope my understanding is correct.

I don't think mentioning something from your resume/activity list is repeating information if you are now including examples from these activities to support your case. Make sure whatever you say adds something of value to what you listed in the resume and don't repeat the same examples from essay to essay.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 19:01
Thanks for the clarification Michmax. I agree, repeating same examples from essay to essay is a sure way to end up in ding pile. As some previous poster has said, it is about showing a different dimension.
I was just worried about essay 3. I sure want to give interesting information, but not any "surprising" (as in essay 4) that is not mentioned anywhere in app. Perhaps I should take a couple of themes running thru the app, point to something mentioned in resume/activity list, and show 'em in a different way (more personalized). I hope that does the trick!

University of Georgia - Terry College of Business
Full-time MBA Class of 2013
Terry College of Business Thread on GMATCLUB
On twitter: http://twitter.com/TerryMBA
On FB: http://www.facebook.com/TerryMBA

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2010, 19:01