Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [3] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 09:01
This post received
KUDOS
For those who want to know here is a recap of DAK (Day at Kellogg)

1) DAK materials and registration are available very shortly after receiving the admit. My log-in information came with the admit package and I was immediately able to register for DAK. The registration form is several pages long and asks you to rank your academic, career, and EC interests. Several weeks before DAK you will be getting numerous emails inviting you to events hosted by different student groups. Sign up for them as they are a bevy of free food and drink. Book your hotel room as soon as you register because rooms (especially double bed rooms) sell out quickly. You can easily find a roomie on the facebook group afterward.

2) DAK was officially Friday, Feb. 10 - Saturday, Feb. 11. However, I arrived Thursday afternoon. There were a ton of pre DAK events. I attended the affinity group coalition dinner and the Women's Business Association mixer. The coalition dinner was at Bravo! Cucina Italiana. It was a sit down affair with a special menu. The Mediterranean pasta was divine (whole wheat penne, spinach, feta, roasted tomato, tossed in olive oil based vinaigrette). Oh and the bread was on point too. Current students, adcom, and admitted students attended. I sat near the DAK co-chair, the director of admissions, and dean of student life. I will say that the interactions with them were much more open now that I'm in. Michelle Rogers is awesome. We talked about everything from the applications she reads to the travesty that is short women dating men that are a foot taller than them.

After dinner I stopped by the Women's Business Association event at Koi and ate free sushi. I didn't stay long, but it seemed well organized and I met one of my section members there who I wound spending a lot of time with throughout the weekend. After Koi I attended a DAK mixer at the Hilton Orrington. DAK section leaders (more on this later) were there in their Ri-DAK-u-lous t-shirts. The night was mostly mingling and a million and one introductions. Get used to saying where you're from and what you do 50 times in one evening.

3) DAK kicked off bright and early Friday morning (7 am) with breakfast, followed by a speech from Sally Blount. Whoever says that Kellogg has lost its footing or doesn't have direction hasn't heard her speak. She is very sure of her vision for Kellogg. One of the things that stood out to me was how she stressed the academics. Sometimes Kellogg gets written off for being soft academically and she challenged that stereotype head on.

After the kick-off we broke into our sections. For the weekend admits were divided into 7 sections that played off the real sections Kellogg already has. For example, I was a Bullwinkle the DAK version of the Moose section. I have friends and coworkers who were Puppies (Big Dogs), Nursery Rhymers (Poets), and Piggy Banks (Cash Cows). Section time consisted of ice breakers, a run through of student groups, academics, financial aid, and more. We had a 45 minute mini class with our section as well and then there was lunch. We picked up boxed lunches and had lunch with the heads of the different departments. I was in the SEEK and International Business forums. After this you could either take a break or go on a tour or have a coffee chat with current students. I chose to take a break. There was still a lot more to come.

After break time we were back in our sections. My section divided into mini groups and we all worked on a team project. We had to use balloons, straws, and other materials to drop an egg safely to the ground without breaking it. We also had to come up with a 30 second jingle to go along with our new product. My group called itself Eggs-ellence and our jingle was AWESOME!! We set it to the chorus of Drake's song, "The Motto." We got the highest scores for the jingle, but alas our egg broke so we didn't win. I'm still a bit bitter.

After section time we went to TG and the KWEST fair. TG is short for TGIF and it's a weekly happy hour. This week's TG was hosted by the Black Management Association. They served collard greens, mac and cheese, fried chicken, and fried catfish along with beers and soda. The mac and cheese was "slap yo mama" good! I went back for 3rds. Oh and they had hot sauce for the fried chicken! So damn good. There was a DJ and a lot of us did the Electric Slide and the Wobble.

The KWEST Fair was insane. If you get in you're gonna be psyched for KWEST. There are trips to Brazil, Vietnam, the Dominican Republic, and more planned. KWEST leaders even dressed in costume to promote their trips. One team all dressed in different versions of onesies. Another team dressed as characters from Saved by the Bell.

After TG and the KWEST fair we had dinner in the Allen Center. This is where the surveys we filled out in our DAK registration came into play. I said that I was interested in sports so I was at a table with other sports enthusiasts. I was blessed to be at a table with a New England Patriots fan so I could rub in the fact that my New York Giants once again beat them in the Super Bowl. Oh and they served this thai curry chicken that was AH-mazing!!

After dinner the different sections were meeting up at bars/restaurants around town. I skipped this and took a nap. It was after 8pm when I left dinner and I needed a break. I did wake up around 11 pm and went to hear a couple of Kellogg bands play @ this bar called Nevins. It was packed. Kellogg bands are pretty damn good. One band does top 40 covers and another does 80s covers. I'm a huge fan of 80s music so I was singing Living on a Prayer at the top of my lungs. At one point someone started crowd surfing and I will admit that I started to feel as though I'd regressed back to my undergrad years. Still it was good clean fun. Unfortunately Nevins shut down the party early so we headed over to another bar on the outskirts of Chicago. I hung out with my section mates and section leader and we just danced, sang along with the DJ and hung out. I left with one of my section mates around 3 am and we headed back to the Hilton Orrington. We got hungry in the cab so we decided to head to the Burger King down the street for some late night burgers and fries. The chicken tendercrisp sandwich never tasted so good to me! We then debated which morning sessions we would skip so we could sleep in.

4) Saturday I missed the keynote speaker cause I slept in. I made it to Day 2 for more section time. During Saturday our section leaders answered more of our questions, the KSA leaders spoke to us, and we learned more about the school than I can even go into. After section time we went to career talks. I went to the one for social impact. I was really impressed with how connected Kellogg is on that front. After the career chats was another break followed by the closing session.

After the closing address many people went on housing tours. I visited the Park Evanston and one other building that I can't remember right now. Housing ain't cheap. Expect to spend between 1000-1500 month if you want washer/dryer in the apt. There was a closing reception in Chicago that evening. It was a cocktail party with buffet style meal (chicken and grits!!) and a lot of dancing. Warning! Get used to house music if you're going to bschool. They play a whole lot of it at parties. After the reception we had buses take us downtown to this club called Zella. By this point I was exhausted and couldn't wait for the bus back to campus. I cabbed it up to Evanston and took my butt to bed. I'm old I can't be partying like that all weekend.

Overall DAK was a great experience. The people, from admissions to students to admits, were wonderful. I met people who have done some really cool things and who want to do even more cool stuff in the future. I thought DAK was well organized and well run. However, it is A LOT! The days are long and you can sometimes feel overloaded with information. Kellogg puts on the hard sell to get you to matriculate and I know many people were definitely convinced after attending. For those who are at DAK 2 I warn you not to be fooled by April weather. It was FREEZING on Thursday night and Friday. Kellogg is right on Lake Michigan and that wind just shoots through your body. It is painfully cold at times. My ears were frozen and hurting after 2 minutes outside. But I guess Kellogg can't control the weather. Other than that, everything else was top notch.

Hope this recap helps.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 12:07
Just got dinged off the waitlist. Good Luck to everyone still waiting on the WL for for R2.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 12:13
rgupta83 wrote:
Just got dinged off the waitlist. Good Luck to everyone still waiting on the WL for for R2.

Sorry to hear, but thanks for the update. Seems pretty quiet compared to the first wait list update.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 12:21
rgupta83 wrote:

What in the hellin was Kellogg thinking?!! Kellogg this decision is bad news bears! Sorry rgupta, but it's totally Fuqua's gain!

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 14:09
rgupta83 wrote:

Sorry to hear that man, you've been very helpful on this forum. Good luck at Fuqua!

Cheetarah: Thanks for that detailed report, I would expect nothing less of you.

Everyone: So it turns out that I'm having my alumni interview over dinner at some restaurant. Is this normal? I actually think it could be beneficial in a way since I have had job interviews in this setting that went really well. Something about the ambiance that helps to break the ice I guess. But still, it does seem a little unusual for a business school interview and does bring up some questions - should I be in a suit? Should I offer to or insist on paying the bill? Decline any offer of alcohol?

Thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 10

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 14:13
healthcareguy wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:

Sorry to hear that man, you've been very helpful on this forum. Good luck at Fuqua!

Everyone: So it turns out that I'm having my alumni interview over dinner at some restaurant. Is this normal? I actually think it could be beneficial in a way since I have had job interviews in this setting that went really well. Something about the ambiance that helps to break the ice I guess. But still, it does seem a little unusual for a business school interview. Any thoughts?

My interview was at a coffee shop. While both cases may be unusual for traditional interviews, I think the Kellogg interview is more conversational and I think attempts to tease out fit more than anything. I'm not a big fan of meal interviews just because I find it impossible to eat during the interview, but you're right the meal does help the flow of the conversation. Best of luck.
Manager
Manager

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 09:10
Consulting2Finance wrote:
healthcareguy wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:

Everyone: So it turns out that I'm having my alumni interview over dinner at some restaurant. Is this normal? I actually think it could be beneficial in a way since I have had job interviews in this setting that went really well. Something about the ambiance that helps to break the ice I guess. But still, it does seem a little unusual for a business school interview. Any thoughts?

My interview was at a coffee shop. While both cases may be unusual for traditional interviews, I think the Kellogg interview is more conversational and I think attempts to tease out fit more than anything. I'm not a big fan of meal interviews just because I find it impossible to eat during the interview, but you're right the meal does help the flow of the conversation. Best of luck.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 13:00
Apparently financial aid packages are supposed to be sent out today or tomorrow. I called the financial aid office because I feel like it was taking too long.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 13:15
Charlie11 wrote:
Apparently financial aid packages are supposed to be sent out today or tomorrow. I called the financial aid office because I feel like it was taking too long.

Really? FAFSA was just due this week.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 13:19
FAFSA was available about a month ago and Kellogg's package shortly thereafter. They seemed to stress the importance of getting it in early so I guess I felt it was a bit of hurry up and wait.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 14

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 13:34
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Charlie11 wrote:

Really? FAFSA was just due this week.

shoot, is this the case for R2 applicants too? I haven't touched the FAFSA yet... nor have I done anything about my taxes for this year lol
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB(Waitlisted) INSEAD(interview) Kellogg(Re-applicant i/w last time) Johnson(Re-applicant i/w last time) IESE(Re-applicant i/w last time)
WE 1: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 01:13
Any interview invites after getting it waived off for second round? I am based out of Mumbai. Last year I had my interview waived off and then interviewed again later. This time the wait it just getting longer. Please update if some one has heard from them.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 08:14
healthcareguy wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:

Everyone: So it turns out that I'm having my alumni interview over dinner at some restaurant. Is this normal? I actually think it could be beneficial in a way since I have had job interviews in this setting that went really well. Something about the ambiance that helps to break the ice I guess. But still, it does seem a little unusual for a business school interview and does bring up some questions - should I be in a suit? Should I offer to or insist on paying the bill? Decline any offer of alcohol?

Thoughts?

During my interview I offered to pay the bill. My interviewer said they had the rule of paying half of the check ALWAYS. So I ended up paying for my bottle of water, while my interviewer payed for his coke.
I would definitely decline any offer of alcohol.
I belive you should consider this similar to a job interview.
Once you get accepted you can invite him to celebrate for a beer.
Manager
Manager

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 13:11
felgonza wrote:
healthcareguy wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:

Thoughts?

During my interview I offered to pay the bill. My interviewer said they had the rule of paying half of the check ALWAYS. So I ended up paying for my bottle of water, while my interviewer payed for his coke.
I would definitely decline any offer of alcohol.
I belive you should consider this similar to a job interview.
Once you get accepted you can invite him to celebrate for a beer.

So don't start off the interview with two shots of Jager? j/k thanks for the tip about the payment rule - I had no idea.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 13:47
Finally an interview invite... I was already getting desperate :-/
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 14:06
This post received
KUDOS
Randomness wrote:
Any interview invites after getting it waived off for second round? I am based out of Mumbai. Last year I had my interview waived off and then interviewed again later. This time the wait it just getting longer. Please update if some one has heard from them.

Oh, just noticed your post. My interview was waived 2 weeks ago, and just half an hour ago I got an invite. Hope it helps...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 14:25
Hey guys.
I received a interview waiver a few weeks ago, and today I received an email from the school asking me to call to set up a phone interview.
Now, I'm assuming this is a good sign (interview waived, then they want to interview me now...), but I've never done a phone interview.
Do you guys think it will positively affect or at least be okay to ask them for an on-campus interview instead? Or should I just go ahead and set up a phone interview?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

ARE YOU READY?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 14:50
shady14 wrote:
Hey guys.
I received a interview waiver a few weeks ago, and today I received an email from the school asking me to call to set up a phone interview.
Now, I'm assuming this is a good sign (interview waived, then they want to interview me now...), but I've never done a phone interview.
Do you guys think it will positively affect or at least be okay to ask them for an on-campus interview instead? Or should I just go ahead and set up a phone interview?
Thanks.

Reading the previous threads, rajatar answered my question (It's not possible to change on on-campus interview). *sigh*

Alrighty. I'll see what happens. :|

ARE YOU READY?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 14:51
shady14 wrote:
shady14 wrote:
Hey guys.
Thanks.

Reading the previous threads, rajatar answered my question (It's not possible to change on on-campus interview). *sigh*

Alrighty. I'll see what happens. :|

perhaps you can ask for a skype interview...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Other
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.62
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 17:58
shady14 wrote:
Hey guys.
Thanks.

Just check my previous post~~~you can not change the interview format(phone -- f2f), so even if you go to kellogg, you still have to make a cal......hiahia

anyway ,gl everyone~~I check the clearadmit interview guide, is says that an interview after waiver is a good sign, lol
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2012, 17:58