Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 21:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:55) correct 37% (00:55) wrong based on 832 sessions
Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

A. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian,
B. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
C. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
D. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it
E. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, which was begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 22:50
This post received
KUDOS
A seems fine as which refers to the Colosseum.

BTW if you never got a chance to see the Colosseum, definitely worth visiting, maybe you guys can take a trip to rome for a vacation after the GMAT :-D
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 14:22
another C.
You need the second and to join two independent clauses.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 14:41
C ..'and' is required to join two independent clauses and 'which' is used correctly
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 20:38
Torn between A & C, still don't understand why 'and' is needed. What are the 2 independent clauses in ths sentence?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 20:47
C for the use of 'began' and the proper use of 'and'
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 20:58
This post received
KUDOS
ak_idc wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
another C.
You need the second and to join two independent clauses.

"and" should come before "was"

:wall totally missed that independent clause thing
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Roman Colosseum [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 13:10
Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

A. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian,
B. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
C. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
D. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it
E. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, which was begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 14:37
should be C

which is necessary not to refer to construction and the "and" at the end is necessary
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 01:38

(A) which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian,
(B) officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
(C) which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
(D) officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it
(E) officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, which was begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and

The official answer is given C, but IMO the relative pronoun ‘which’ is modifying the subject of the noun phrase i.e ‘construction’ and in that case it is said that the ‘construction’ was officially known as the ‘Flavian amphitheater’.
Can anyone suggest whether my thinking is correct.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 26

Re: relative pronoun problem !!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 01:52
C
by looking at the underlined portion we can say it requires "and" to fit with "was completed.."
A and D eliminated.
begun is inappropriate...so B and E eliminated

this time, we play for keeps

Last edited by vinzycoolfire on 18 Jan 2011, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [7] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: relative pronoun problem !!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
Relative pronouns such as which, that, who etc. should always touch the noun they are modifying. This is called the relative pronoun touch rule.

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was: in this sentence the pronoun 'which' is modifying The Roman Colosseum. This is correct and should be the intented meaning of the sentence.

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, offi cially known : In this sentence the ...officially known.. phrase modifies the subject of the main clause i.e. Construction of the Roamn Colesseum. This is wrong.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 26

Re: relative pronoun problem !!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 02:09
thanks zuberahmed for the explanation, but can u explain where relative pronouns are necessary and where they are not??

this time, we play for keeps

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: relative pronoun problem !!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 02:43
This post received
KUDOS
Relative pronouns are used for modifying a Noun only. Never use a relative pronoun to modify a verb. Examples of relative pronous :

Which
That
Who
When
Whom

Always remember the touch rule for relative pronouns. i.e. the Reltive pronoun should touch the noun its modifying.

Note:
1. Comma + 'which' : should be used when the modifying information that is non essential.
eg. The red car, which i drove when i was in college.

i drove when i was in college : non essential information.
The red : essential information.

2. 'That' : should be used when the information is essential. ( please never use comma with 'That' ).

e.g The car that i painted red.

i painted red : essential information.
Intern
Intern

Re: relative pronoun problem !!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 03:07
Thanks lot for the clarification.

Can you look into the below example and let me know what is your take on this-

Astrologers saw the comet as a portent of the DESTRUCTION OF JERUSALEM, which happened as expected.

Notice that ‘which’ is taking the place of the phrase ‘DESTRUCTION OF JERUSALEM’ that is used as as OBJECT of the preceding main clause. Notice that ‘which’ takes the place of the phrase ‘destruction of Jerusalem’, not ‘Jerusalem’ that is used as the object of the prepositional phrase ‘destruction of Jerusalem’ which is used as the complement of the noun ‘portent’.

(I got this note from one of the GMATCLUB forum discussion)
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1622 [0], given: 249

Re: relative pronoun problem !!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 03:57
Expert's post
Astrologers saw the comet as a portent of the DESTRUCTION OF JERUSALEM, which happened as expected.

This is not an acceptable version. Since the Relative pro noun can’t logically refer to Jerusalem, we are left in the lurch. It can mean anything from comet to portent to destruction. The right version could be

“Astrologers saw the comet as a portent pf Jerusalem’s destruction, which happened as expected.”

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: relative pronoun problem !!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 05:44
daagh wrote:

This is not an acceptable version. Since the Relative pro noun can’t logically refer to Jerusalem, we are left in the lurch. It can mean anything from comet to portent to destruction. The right version could be

“Astrologers saw the comet as a portent Jerusalem’s destruction, which happened as expected.”

So this means that a relative pronoun will always modify the noun that placed next to it and this rule is applicable always (even in the case of a noun phrase. for example - I repaired the handle of the door, which I broke yesterday. or this is also an unacceptable sentence, it should be - I repaired the door's handle, which I broke yesterday.)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: relative pronoun problem !!!! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 00:05
Astrologers saw the comet as a portent of the DESTRUCTION OF JERUSALEM, which happened as expected

OF JERUSALEM : A perpositional modifier. These types of modifiers are essential modifiers.

which happened as expected : A relative clause starting with 'which'. A non essential modifiers.

If you look at the sentence both the modifiers are modifying DESTRUCTION. But the essential modifiers is placed close to the Noun and the non essential modifier follows it.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 234 [1] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: relative pronoun problem !!!! [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
Ans. C
the subject of the sentence is CONSTRUCTION used two verbs (begun and completed) these verbs should be connected together by conjunction and. Both verbs should be in simple past tense.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 928 [1] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: relative pronoun problem !!!! [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
Baten80 wrote:
Ans. C
the subject of the sentence is CONSTRUCTION used two verbs (begun and completed) these verbs should be connected together by conjunction and. Both verbs should be in simple past tense.

Absolutely!!!

Two independent clause must be connected with a conjunction. Two verbs must be conjoined by the conjunction.

Ans: "C"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: relative pronoun problem !!!!   [#permalink] 31 May 2011, 07:11