GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 14:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 06:21
reena.phogat wrote:
bay010 wrote:
Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

A. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian,
B. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
C. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
D. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it
E. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, which was begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and

The answer is C. But I am not able to discern as to how the part after ',and' is an Independent clause. The phrase 'was completed a decade later' does not have a subject. How is it a independent clause?

2 verbs can exist in a clause if they are connected with AND and OR. Then their subject will same
Otherwise SV pair must be equal to number of clauses in sentence.
Here 2nd clause must have SV pair...But subject is not there so to correct it either we can add a subject or we can connect 2 verbs with and if their subject is same...

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I get your point. But when you join two verbs you use only 'and' and when you join to independent clauses/thoughts you use ',and'. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks :)
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 07:05
Top Contributor
bay010

C. Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

One note is that the parallel- markers should join two equal things, either clauses, phrases or just words such as nouns etc, etc. In this case, "began in A.D. 69", a predicate is joined with "was completed " another predicate. So it is okay IMO. In addition, in two part symmetries, if the subject of the first part logically holds good for the second part too, then an ellipsis is permitted as parallel enough

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 09:26
Top Contributor
Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

A. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, ----lacking conjunction between the two predicates

B. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and -----This is a fragment with the first part lacking a verb
C. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and --- Correct choice.

D. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it --- The first part is a fragment and the second part is fused with the first part without a punctuation mark.

E. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, which was begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and ----- The first part before 'and ' is a fragment.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 07:08
Dear,
I read through all the explanations of this post and do agree that C is the most suitable answer. But as per chapter 10 of SC Manhattan (page 197), we do not use a comma before "and" to separate two verbs that have the same subject. Clearly, C uses "comma + and" to separate two verbs. Could you pls explain why? Thank you:D
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 03:04
duckcanfly wrote:
Dear,
I read through all the explanations of this post and do agree that C is the most suitable answer. But as per chapter 10 of SC Manhattan (page 197), we do not use a comma before "and" to separate two verbs that have the same subject. Clearly, C uses "comma + and" to separate two verbs. Could you pls explain why? Thank you:D

Hi duckcanfly ,

Welcome to GMATClub. :)

I understand your point. But whenever we want to use any additional information within a sentence, we use two commas such that if you remove the stuff between those two commas, your sentence must hold the meaning.

Let's understand this in this sentence.

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

Did you find the meaning now? I have two phrases used here. I can eliminate them and conclude the final sentence as follows:

Construction of the Roman Colosseum began in A.D. 69 and was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

I hope that makes sense. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 02:37

(B) officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and - B is a past participle -- so part before and is a fragment

(D) officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it - same as B and Construction of the RC during the reign of Vespasian it -- incorrect

In B and D , does "officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater" modify the entire noun phrase Construction of the Roman Colosseum or only the Roman Colosseum ?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , sayantanc2k, RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , GMATNinjaTwo , other experts -- please enlighten.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 04:26
Skywalker18 wrote:
In B and D , does "officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater" modify the entire noun phrase Construction of the Roman Colosseum or only the Roman Colosseum ?
It can refer to either. For example:

Big technology companies in Silicon Valley, once seen as XYZ...

Here the modifier could introduce information about either Silicon Valley
Big technology companies in Silicon Valley, once seen as a major hub for the aerospace industry...

or Big technology companies in Silicon Valley
Big technology companies in Silicon Valley, once seen as the best employers in the country...

However, this is perfectly acceptable in English, and even a which would have the same problem.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 04:12
Hi,
There are two uses for comma and
1.to connect to independent clause
2.to connect list having more than two element
Both cases are not applicable for this case.
So how C is correct answer?

GMATNinja could you please explain how C is correct?
Thanks
Abhinash
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 19:10
abhinashgc wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Abhinash

Good question! The two scenarios you've listed are the most common acceptable uses of "comma + and," but virtually any "rule" involving commas is going to be complicated by modifiers.

Consider a silly example, "After deliberating for several hours, Ginger decided to invite both The Professor and Gilligan to her island rave." Notice that "and" is connecting two names or objects, and there's no good reason to use a comma here. So far so good.

But watch what happens if we insert some descriptive information about our aforementioned rave-goers. "After deliberating for several hours, Ginger decided to invite both the Professor, who was harvesting pineapple, and Gilligan, who was trying to cut open a pineapple with a plastic spoon, to her island rave." The phrase in red is non-essential information describing "The Professor," and so is set off by commas. So it's completely fine to end up with a "comma + and" construction here.

It's the exact same logic in (C): "began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian," is nonessential information describing "Flavian Amphitheater," and so it's set off by commas.

Takeaways: 1) commas can always be used to insert nonessential modifiers into a sentence, and 2) pineapple is tasty.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 19:24
GMATNinja wrote:
abhinashgc wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Abhinash

Good question! The two scenarios you've listed are the most common acceptable uses of "comma + and," but virtually any "rule" involving commas is going to be complicated by modifiers.

Consider a silly example, "After deliberating for several hours, Ginger decided to invite both The Professor and Gilligan to her island rave." Notice that "and" is connecting two names or objects, and there's no good reason to use a comma here. So far so good.

But watch what happens if we insert some descriptive information about our aforementioned rave-goers. "After deliberating for several hours, Ginger decided to invite both the Professor, who was harvesting pineapple, and Gilligan, who was trying to cut open a pineapple with a plastic spoon, to her island rave." The phrase in red is non-essential information describing "The Professor," and so is set off by commas. So it's completely fine to end up with a "comma + and" construction here.

It's the exact same logic in (C): "began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian," is nonessential information describing "Flavian Amphitheater," and so it's set off by commas.

Takeaways: 1) commas can always be used to insert nonessential modifiers into a sentence, and 2) pineapple is tasty.

I hope that helps!
Thanks a lot,I have rejected option based on two uses of comma earlier.Now it’s clear!!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 13:03
Problem with original sentence is coordinating conjunction which is missing,hence the option C is correct.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the &nbs [#permalink] 23 Sep 2018, 13:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap