Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

CR [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 05:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
please explain
Attachments

0706.jpg
0706.jpg [ 58.28 KiB | Viewed 662 times ]

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 06:48
I'd go with A on this one.

It supports the idea that the town was destroyed abruptly that year.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 13

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 07:22
Balvinder wrote:
please explain

I think E is more appropriate. The passage states that the volcanoes had destroyed much of the ECOLOGY and the mountains. E strengthens it bys saying that the insects belonging to 890 BC were found but none from AFTER that period which indicates a clear, irrepairable damage to the ecosystem due to the volcano.

A sounds like a teaser to me. While coins after 890 BC were not found - it could be that the coins were not minted after that period at all.. we can't say for sure.

Also, I think there's a typo in E. It should be 890 BC and not 8900 BC..
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 0

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 07:26
dwivedys wrote:
Balvinder wrote:
please explain

I think E is more appropriate. The passage states that the volcanoes had destroyed much of the ECOLOGY and the mountains. E strengthens it bys saying that the insects belonging to 890 BC were found but none from AFTER that period which indicates a clear, irrepairable damage to the ecosystem due to the volcano.

A sounds like a teaser to me. While coins after 890 BC were not found - it could be that the coins were not minted after that period at all.. we can't say for sure.

maybe it's a typo but E says the insects date back to 8900 BC. The volcano in question was 890 BC.

I'm wondering whether that's a typo or an intentional difference to trip people up.

EDIT: I just noticed you saw the same "typo". If I saw this question on an official test I would have to assume it's intentional unless there were no other answers that could possibly be correct.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 07:45
Quote:
EDIT: I just noticed you saw the same "typo". If I saw this question on an official test I would have to assume it's intentional unless there were no other answers that could possibly be correct

Agree with you on that.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 16:37
i dont have the OA,

i was confused between E and A.

E seems to be correct answer if it is 890 in place of 8900. Otherwise its A

Do you agree withe that?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 08:18
E will require a lot of assumption to be true.

Even if the insects were present in 890 BC we can't say no other fossils of the insects of a later period were found afterwards...whereas A clearly states that coins minted after 890 BC were not found.

Hi dwivedys...if the ranges were destroyed completely in 890 BC,then its logical that the coin production was stopped...this can't account for a reason other than the quake...Isn't it??

A should be the answer.

This is similar to a question in OG.

Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of Cyprus revealed a pattern of debris and collapsed
buildings typical of towns devastated by earthquakes. Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction
was due to a major earthquake known to have occurred near the island in A.D.365.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the archaeologists’ hypothesis?
(A) Bronze ceremonial drinking vessels that are often found in graves dating from years preceding and
following A.D.365 were also found in several graves near Kourion.
(B) No coins minted after A.D.365 were found in Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in
abundance.

(C) Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occurred near the island in A.D.365.
(D) Several small statues carved in styles current in Cyprus in the century between A.D.300 and 400 were
found in Kourion.
(E) Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyprus after A.D.365 were
found in Kourion.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 08:26
even without the goofed up date, i also think that B is a stronger answer than E
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 08:34
vineetgupta wrote:

Even if the insects were present in 890 BC we can't say no other fossils of the insects of a later period were found afterwards...whereas A clearly states that coins minted after 890 BC were not found.

Hi dwivedys...if the ranges were destroyed completely in 890 BC,then its logical that the coin production was stopped...this can't account for a reason other than the quake...Isn't it??

A should be the answer.

Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of Cyprus revealed a pattern of debris and collapsed
buildings typical of towns devastated by earthquakes. Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction
was due to a major earthquake known to have occurred near the island in A.D.365.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the archaeologists’ hypothesis?
(A) Bronze ceremonial drinking vessels that are often found in graves dating from years preceding and
(B) No coins minted after A.D.365 were found in Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in
abundance.

(C) Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occurred near the island in A.D.365.
(D) Several small statues carved in styles current in Cyprus in the century between A.D.300 and 400 were
found in Kourion.
(E) Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyprus after A.D.365 were
found in Kourion.

May be you guys are right.. If I had known how to answer these kinds of questions I wouldn't have still been struggling with the GMAT...

I'll keep trying meanwhile ... :)
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 09:40
dwivedys wrote:
vineetgupta wrote:

A should be the answer.

abundance.

found in Kourion.
found in Kourion.

May be you guys are right.. If I had known how to answer these kinds of questions I wouldn't have still been struggling with the GMAT...

I'll keep trying meanwhile ... :)

Sometimes CR masters like you can get some basics haywire...But you have the best CR explanations I have ever seen...

Keep up the good work!!!
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 09:44
Thanks Vineet.. you are very kind. If we can't beat the GMAT, at least we can learn :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 09:50
Whats wrong with C here? its the only one which says that the mountains were actually destroyed by a volcano, for all the other choices the reason of destruction could be anything.

just wondering if i am missing something here :roll:
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 09:54
empty_spaces wrote:
Whats wrong with C here? its the only one which says that the mountains were actually destroyed by a volcano, for all the other choices the reason of destruction could be anything.

Well, what you are missing is the fact that the argument (or archaeologists) have staked a claim that th volcano occurred in 890 BC and we are tyring to validate this fact; The fact that it was the volcano that brought about the destruction is not the issue here. Helps?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 13:38
dwivedys wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:

Well, what you are missing is the fact that the argument (or archaeologists) have staked a claim that th volcano occurred in 890 BC and we are tyring to validate this fact; The fact that it was the volcano that brought about the destruction is not the issue here. Helps?

I am confused now. I thought we need to prove the destruction that volcanoes brought. actually a little proof of the volcano eruption is given in the first sentence itself. And C just says that there are historical accounts of several volcano eruptions in 890 B.C, but doesn't say anything about the destruction.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 14:49
Vote: A

A tells us that there was civilization (minted coins) up until 890 and that there was no evidence of civilization (minted coins) after 890. That would suppport the hypothesis that the volcano erupted and destroyed the civilization / area.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 17:11
ankita wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:

I am confused now. I thought we need to prove the destruction that volcanoes brought. actually a little proof of the volcano eruption is given in the first sentence itself. And C just says that there are historical accounts of several volcano eruptions in 890 B.C, but doesn't say anything about the destruction.

You are right...we need to prove that Voraxaton volcano caused the destruction...C doesn't strenghten the argument as we don't know whether all volcanos did the destruction...A is the best.
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 7

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 19:09
Balvinder wrote:
please explain

I too choose A.

what if the coins were placed later?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 19:40
OA is A for this . I have see this in old LSAT papers.
Re: CR   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2007, 19:40