Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1927 [70]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [15]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [7]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Among people who experience migraine headaches, some experience what [#permalink]
I was doubting between A and D.
Finally I choose D....the wrong one!
Can anybody explain why this one cannot be the right answer?
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Among people who experience migraine headaches, some experience what [#permalink]
geraldineclub wrote:
I was doubting between A and D.
Finally I choose D....the wrong one!
Can anybody explain why this one cannot be the right answer?

Hi,

We can use the Kaplan denial test to prove that A must be true (and therefore correct) and that D could be false (and therefore incorrect):

If A were untrue--if susceptibility to classical migraines WAS NOT more dependent on hereditary factors--then there would be no available explanation for the discrepany in likelihood of genetic transmission, and thus that discrepancy could not exist, and thus a part of the passage would become falsified. But in an inference question every part of passage is necessarily true. Thus, choice A must be true.

On the other hand, choice D could be false without falsifying any part of the passage (primarily because the passage did not establish anything that had to be true about "children"--"children" are outside the scope).

TAKEAWAYS:
--we can use the Kaplan denial test in inference questions (many people think it can only be used in necessary assumption questions).
--the correct answer will always be very CLOSE to the passage (notice that every idea of choice A is discussed in the passage either explicitly or implicitly); converesely, facts about "children" cannot be inferred from the text of the passage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2443 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Let x be a number of counts of migraine

General populace: x

Common migraine: Sib=2x; Spouse=2x

Classical migraine: Sib=4x; Spouse=x

From above statistics, we can infer that
brothers & sisters of classical sufferers have 4x chances whereas
brothers & sisters of common sufferers have 2x chances
Because brothers & sisters (siblings) are related by blood, we can
say that hereditary factor play a major role in acquiring classical migraine
than in common migraine.
This is the position of option A.

On the other hand, spouses of common migraine have 2x chances whereas
spouses of classical migraine have x chance
From the statistics, Spouses of common migraine are more prone than are
those of classical migraine.
However, this is not discussed in any of the options.

Do I make any sense or am I over stating what is meant in the stem?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Send PM
Quite straightforward. It's A. My reasons for choosing this is as follows:

(A) Susceptibility to classical migraines is more dependent on hereditary factors than is susceptibility to common migraines. [Correctly identifies support to the premise and the major part of the passage states the instances for this]
(B) Unmarried adults are more likely to suffer from classical migraines than they are to suffer from common migraines. [There is nothing in the passage that suggests how vulnerable unmarried adults will be]
(C) People who do not experience migraine headaches are unlikely to have spouses who are migraine headache sufferers.[Again, out of scope]
(D) Children of people who suffer from common migraines are more likely than the general population to experience a common migraine.[Out of scope, also]
(E) Between one-quarter and one-half of the general population suffer from either common or classical migraine headaches.[Out of scope]
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience what doctors call"common" migraines, whereas others experience "classical" migraines. Siblings and spouses of common migraine sufferers are themselves twice as likely as the general population to experience common migraines. Siblings of classical migraine sufferers are four times more likely than the general population to experience classical migraines, whereas spouses of classical migraine suferers are no more likely than the general population to experience such headaches.

Type - Inference
Boil it down - Common migraine - Siblings and spouses have 2x probability of suffering
Classical migraine -Siblings have 4x probability of suffering
Pre-Thinking - the hereditary link is an important factor in classical migraine

The information above provides the most support for which of the following hypotheses?

(A) Susceptibility to classical migraines is more dependent on hereditary factors than is susceptibility to common migraines. Correct answer
(B) Unmarried adults are more likely to suffer from classical migraines than they are to suffer from common migraines. May or may not be true
(C) People who do not experience migraine headaches are unlikely to have spouses who are migraine headache sufferers. Out of scope
(D) Children of people who suffer from common migraines are more likely than the general population to experience a common migraine. May or may not be true as children have not been talked in the argument
(E) Between one-quarter and one-half of the general population suffer from either common or classical migraine headaches. Out of scope
Hi,
I was confused between A and E. I chose E over A because I thought that the argument gave a number of people suffering from migraine.
Please explain.

Thanks in Advance.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shivikaa wrote:
Hi,
I was confused between A and E. I chose E over A because I thought that the argument gave a number of people suffering from migraine.
Please explain.

Thanks in Advance.

Quote:
Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience what doctors call "common" migraines, whereas others experience "classical" migraines. Siblings and spouses of common migraine sufferers are themselves twice as likely as the general population to experience common migraines. Siblings of classical migraine sufferers are four times more likely than the general population to experience classical migraines, whereas spouses of classical migraine sufferers are no more likely than the general population to experience such headaches.

The information above provides the most support for which of the following hypotheses?

(A) Susceptibility to classical migraines is more dependent on hereditary factors than is susceptibility to common migraines.
(B) Unmarried adults are more likely to suffer from classical migraines than they are to suffer from common migraines.
(C) People who do not experience migraine headaches are unlikely to have spouses who are migraine headache sufferers.
(D) Children of people who suffer from common migraines are more likely than the general population to experience a common migraine.
(E) Between one-quarter and one-half of the general population suffer from either common or classical migraine headaches.

Let's review what we're given:

• Siblings of common migraine sufferers are twice as likely as the GP to experience common migraines. (hereditary factor)
  • Spouses of common migraine sufferers are also twice as likely as the GP to experience common migraines. (non-hereditary factor)
  • Siblings of CLASSICAL migraine sufferers are FOUR TIMES more likely than the GP to experience classical migraines. (STRONGER hereditary factor)
  • Spouses of CLASSICAL migraine sufferers are no more likely than the GP to experience classical migraines. (no non-hereditary factor)

If we have a group of people who suffer from common migraines and another group of people who suffer from classical migraines, we can use the information in the passage to discuss how likely it is that their siblings and spouses will also have common or classical migraines.

But the information in the passage does not give us any information to determine the PROPORTION of the GP that actually suffers from one of those types of migraines. Maybe 10% of the GP suffer from common migraines and 15% suffer from classical? Maybe half of the GP suffer from one or the other? Maybe only 1% suffer from each? We have no idea, so (E) must be eliminated.

Looking at the bullets above, it seems that susceptibility to classical migraines is more dependent on hereditary factors than is susceptibility to common migraines.

(A) is the best choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 598
Send PM
Kudos
lexis wrote:
Among people experience migraine headaches, some experience what doctors call "common" migraines, whereas others experience "classical" migraines. Siblings and spouses of common migraine sufferers are themselves twice as likely as the general population to experience common migraines. Siblings of classical migraine sufferers are four times more likely than the general population to experience classical migraines, whereas spouses of classical migraine sufferers are no more likely than the general population to experience such headaches.

(A) Susceptibility to classical migraines is more dependent on hereditary factors than is susceptibility to common migraines.

(B) Unmarried adults are more likely to suffer from classical migraines than they are to suffer from common migraines.

(C) People who do not experience migraine headaches are unlikely to have spouses who are migraine headache sufferers.

(D) Children of people who suffer from common migraines are more likely than the general population to experience a common migraine.

(E) Between one-quarter and one-half of the general population suffer from either common or classical migraine headaches.

Attachment:
verb27.jpg

GMATNinja, ThatDudeKnows, DmitryFarber, GMATNinjaTwo, IanStewart, MartyTargetTestPrep, RonPurewal, KarishmaB, MarkSullivan, AjiteshArun, EMPOWERgmatRichC, mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k, TommyWallach, Testluv, Bunuel

is the 1st sentence in the passage grammatically correct? does it need 'who'? this is an official question
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
StandardizedNerd wrote:
is the 1st sentence in the passage grammatically correct? does it need 'who'? this is an official question

The first sentence of the passage does require "who." It appears that the person who posted this question mistakenly left out that word.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 598
Send PM
Kudos
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
StandardizedNerd wrote:

The first sentence of the passage does require "who." It appears that the person who posted this question mistakenly left out that word.

Bunuel, other moderators: could u pls edit the question accordingly? thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply
StandardizedNerd wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
StandardizedNerd wrote:

Bunuel, other moderators: could u pls edit the question accordingly? thanks

Fixed the issue. Thank you for reporting. That's really very helpful!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts