Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

General Management programs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
Depends on the company...some are very strict about minimum of 5/6 years work experience. I think a lot of that has to do with you showing up and advancing into a management role right away. Personally I am heading to a company where I will start in a management position immediately (a big reason I took it), the other people who were interviewing were for the most part MBA grads from 2-3 years ago. As part of my interview they actually told me I was the least experienced person they were interviewing for the position and asked about my relative lack of experience compared to the competition. Somehow I got the offer so I must have said something right.

I think a rotational program might be a little more flexible but a lot of the off campus and what I found to be more interesting, had higher levels of responsibility, and more lucrative tended to be on the higher experience side. The programs are great, but there is something to be said about being the 1 of 1 or 2 people not 1 of 25 people they bring on in a given "program." I think few GM opportunities would say someone is too old but a lot will say you are too young. There are still enough students at top schools who are 30+ when they graduate and many of them also tend to have backgrounds favored by GM positions...a lot of the younger folks bringing down the median age are former consultants and bankers who are heading back into that field.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 332
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 05:26
Thanks for your reply river. Another question, do you think leadership development or rotational programs (for us younger folks) are a good stepping stone into GM roles? If I were to complete one successfully, and maybe spend a year or two after the rotations in a fixed position, would this be a good way to transition into a competitive GM role? Or would I be better off trying to do consulting - I know it's early and I have yet to even begin to prepare to market myself to these firms, but I just don't know that I have the background MBB is looking for and it seems like it's only these firms that allow you to springboard into the better GM positions from consulting - am I wrong, do other top firms get placement as well?
_________________

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 113
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 07:26
What about PT MBA students at a top school? Do they have a shot at a GM/Rotational program while or after the program is over? Has anybody ever done this?
_________________

"The distribution is fat-tailed relative to the normal distribution"
~ Eugene Fama Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 05:36
alijafri80 wrote:
What about PT MBA students at a top school? Do they have a shot at a GM/Rotational program while or after the program is over? Has anybody ever done this?

Some do, it all depends on background. The honest answer is a fair number of people head back to their internship employer, not a huge amount but enough that their are fewer slots available. I dont know about this year but if you look at Kellogg's employment report they break out the PT people.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 113
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 06:04
Thanks riverripper! I saw the employment report broken down by all the different programs. Kind of a shame Booth doesn't publish PT employment stats. There are fewer slots, but it has been, that IS good news. I guess you have to find the right angle!(as with everything).

riverripper wrote:
alijafri80 wrote:
What about PT MBA students at a top school? Do they have a shot at a GM/Rotational program while or after the program is over? Has anybody ever done this?

Some do, it all depends on background. The honest answer is a fair number of people head back to their internship employer, not a huge amount but enough that their are fewer slots available. I dont know about this year but if you look at Kellogg's employment report they break out the PT people.

_________________

"The distribution is fat-tailed relative to the normal distribution"
~ Eugene Fama Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 18:15
Posting after a long time..........

Found something interesting about MBA Development Programs. Thought of sharing with the bright minds here. Check this out guys: http://www.mba-exchange.com/Candidates/ ... ograms.php
_________________

doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity.....AE

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2010
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 20:36
Dear Riverripper,

From what you have gathered is it frowned upon to leave the company after a rotational training program if one is no longer enthralled by that company's culture? Would searching for a job after not accepting a rotational training program be a disadvantage or advantage if properly explained? Thanks river.

riverripper wrote:
cul3s wrote:
So after you're through with the 1 year or 6 months or however long the rotational program is... are you guaranteed a position? or they can just say..."no openings, not the right fit, sorry" ?
and do we know what will our job be? or is it pretty much up in the air depends on how we do in the training time?


There is no guarantee that you will get a job. You have to earn one and people have to want you. That said its probably pretty uncommon for someone to not get an offer. Some will let you exit the program early if you find the right opportunity within the company. When you get hired it would be extremely rare to know what job you will be doing after your rotational program ends. Some people will get several offers within a company they can choose from...

Basically there is a huge variation between programs and what different people get for offers.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2010
Posts: 188
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 12:11
Awesome thread!!!
_________________

GMAT: 720 Q47 V41 / TOEFL iBT: 118

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 16:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
curiousapplicant wrote:
Dear Riverripper,

From what you have gathered is it frowned upon to leave the company after a rotational training program if one is no longer enthralled by that company's culture? Would searching for a job after not accepting a rotational training program be a disadvantage or advantage if properly explained? Thanks river.

I don't get exactly what you are getting at...are you talking about finishing a rotational program then leaving or leaving part way through?

Leaving afterwards is fairly common from what I have seen...plenty of people leave after them. Companies & Headhunters will try to recruit people finishing the programs too. An interesting thing from what I saw, is some programs hire lots of people but people seem to bail right afterwards. GE was very much like this, a lot of people suffer through the four 6 month rotations and then leave soon after finishing. Very few Kellogg grads who started with GE lasted beyond 3 years before leaving.

As for leaving during a rotational program...why suffer. If you hate it then leave. If you can make it through it probably will be better for your career but you never know. You may get a far superior job during a program and at which point why not leave.

It really depends on the person, the situation and the opportunities. Right now in my company the opportunities are way better internal to where I am than if I left. However, in 2 or 3 more years they might not be and at that point its wise to evaluate what is best for you. One of my mentors said you have to always do whats best for you in terms of your career. Whether its taking a lower position to have less stress even if it is a drastic cut in pay, or leave a company because someone gives you a much better offer and it wont be matched. Senior managers understand, and as long as you are honest and dont burn bridges people wont hold it against you (some vindictive people might).
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 18:19
riverripper wrote:
Depends on the company...some are very strict about minimum of 5/6 years work experience. I think a lot of that has to do with you showing up and advancing into a management role right away. Personally I am heading to a company where I will start in a management position immediately (a big reason I took it), the other people who were interviewing were for the most part MBA grads from 2-3 years ago. As part of my interview they actually told me I was the least experienced person they were interviewing for the position and asked about my relative lack of experience compared to the competition. Somehow I got the offer so I must have said something right.

I think a rotational program might be a little more flexible but a lot of the off campus and what I found to be more interesting, had higher levels of responsibility, and more lucrative tended to be on the higher experience side. The programs are great, but there is something to be said about being the 1 of 1 or 2 people not 1 of 25 people they bring on in a given "program." I think few GM opportunities would say someone is too old but a lot will say you are too young. There are still enough students at top schools who are 30+ when they graduate and many of them also tend to have backgrounds favored by GM positions...a lot of the younger folks bringing down the median age are former consultants and bankers who are heading back into that field.



RiverRipper, This post gives me hope. I sent you a PM few minutes ago. Iam 33 years old/female/Indian with 12 years of experience in consumer electronics/infotainment industry. Currently I working as a project manger for a company in the midwest but eventually want to get into a executive position. Thats the reason Iam looking at rotational programs. Please respond to my IM when you get a chance. I will grateful for all the advice. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2010
Posts: 59
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 00:35
Wow... Very good info..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Posts: 64
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 09:47
All,

This thread is very helpful. Lots of great info here!!

I intend to pursue Corporate Development/Internal Consulting at a tech/telecom firm post-MBA. A lot of firms in my preferred industry run rotational development programs. However, after reviewing the info on their websites, it seems they will not sponsor H1-B work visas for international students. This rules out most of the US firms. Does this mean that international applicants must look at European and Asian firms for such opportunities? I see that Samsung and BT have such programs, based out of Seoul and London, respectively.

Can the recent alumni recollect any US-based firms which recruited for general management, Corporate Development, Internal Consulting roles and were willing to sponsor work visas for international students? If not, can anybody suggest the names of non-US based firms?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2011
Posts: 3
Location: New Zealand
Schools: HBS, Wharton, Yale SOM, Stern, Oxford Said
WE 1: Engineering consulting, project management, housing insurance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 02:52
This thread has made for some very informative reading. Thanks a lot for the inputs guys.

I'd be very interested to know about the sponsorship aspects for internationals as well.

There has been a lot of talk on this thread about quantity of prior work experience. However, are there any requirements for the 'quality' of work experience as well? Are companies with GM rotational programs looking for candidates with a minimum of 3-5 years of prior works exp AND a history of managing medium/large teams?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Posts: 64
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 06:23
rohitsingh01 wrote:
This thread has made for some very informative reading. Thanks a lot for the inputs guys.

I'd be very interested to know about the sponsorship aspects for internationals as well.

There has been a lot of talk on this thread about quantity of prior work experience. However, are there any requirements for the 'quality' of work experience as well? Are companies with GM rotational programs looking for candidates with a minimum of 3-5 years of prior works exp AND a history of managing medium/large teams?


Consulting and investment banking firms (finance in general maybe) will arrange for work authorization for international applicants. Other firms may not be willing to do that. Check out the conditions for employment of a few firms you are interested in and you will know whether it applies to them too.

For rotational programs, requirements vary from firm to firm and this applies to both the number of years of work experience and the type of work experience (both in terms of industry and function). It is difficult to generalize. However, having prior experience in an industry may give you an advantage over those who do not have such experience. Having said that, it is difficult to put a lid on these things simply because its all over the place and these things vary from one firm to another and from one year to another.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: General Management programs [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 10:43
this has been an awesome read, thanks for the info!
Re: General Management programs   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2013, 10:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Specialist Master's or General Management kartnite 6 26 Jun 2011, 15:25
General Management programs in Tech & Telecom firms fedexunledded 0 15 Jun 2011, 20:21
General management deckardbr 3 18 May 2008, 11:03
1 The top subcluster for General Management Hjort 22 22 Jun 2007, 20:26
Experts publish their posts in the topic General Management Career svudayag 5 16 Aug 2005, 07:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

General Management programs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   [ 115 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.