Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Set 30 - 26

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2008, 12:58
In countries where automobile insurance includes compensation for whiplash
injuries sustained in automobile accidents, reports of having suffered such injuries
are twice as frequent as they are in countries where whiplash is not covered.
Some
commentators have argued, correctly, that since there is presently no objective test for
whiplash, spurious reports of whiplash injuries cannot be readily identified. These
commentators are, however, wrong to draw the further conclusion that in the countries
with the higher rates of reported whiplash injuries, half of the reported cases are spurious:
clearly, in countries where automobile insurance does not include compensation for
whiplash, people often have little incentive to report whiplash injuries that they actually
have suffered.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
A. The first is a finding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is
an intermediate conclusion drawn to support the judgment reached by the
argument on the accuracy of that finding.
B. The first is a finding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is
evidence that has been used to challenge the accuracy of that finding.
C. The first is a finding whose implications are at issue in the argument; the second
is an intermediate conclusion that has been used to support a conclusion that the
argument criticizes.
D. The first is a claim that the argument disputes; the second is a narrower claim that
the argument accepts.
E. The first is a claim that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument
accepts; the second is that conclusion.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2008, 22:19
botirvoy wrote:
In countries where automobile insurance includes compensation for whiplash injuries sustained in automobile accidents, reports of having suffered such injuries are twice as frequent as they are in countries where whiplash is not covered. Some commentators have argued, correctly, that since there is presently no objective test for whiplash, spurious reports of whiplash injuries cannot be readily identified. These commentators are, however, wrong to draw the further conclusion that in the countries with the higher rates of reported whiplash injuries, half of the reported cases are spurious: clearly, in countries where automobile insurance does not include compensation for whiplash, people often have little incentive to report whiplash injuries that they actually have suffered.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first is a finding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is an intermediate conclusion drawn to support the judgment reached by the argument on the accuracy of that finding.
B. The first is a finding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is evidence that has been used to challenge the accuracy of that finding.
C. The first is a finding whose implications are at issue in the argument; the second is an intermediate conclusion that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument criticizes.
D. The first is a claim that the argument disputes; the second is a narrower claim that the argument accepts.
E. The first is a claim that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument accepts; the second is that conclusion.

I am going for A.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2008, 22:59
D by POE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 06:52
C for me...

OA?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 11:27
Three different answers already :-D
IMO C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 15:36
C for me too ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 17:51
stallone wrote:
C for me too ...

ditto. OA?

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 18:46
C for me too. What is OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 21:35
(C)

Kick GMAT ass

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 21:31
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 03:58
OA C. Thanks guys!
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 16:53
Shytt! I picked C but this was tough!!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 17:09
Some how it was B for me!

Situation: A higher report of the incidences is not due inaccuracies but due to incentive to report the incidence.

Bold face1: Evaluates the argument
Boldface2: not supported or rejected by the argument

A. The first is a finding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is
argument on the accuracy of that finding. [Second is not intermediate conclusion]

B. The first is a finding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is
evidence that has been used to challenge the accuracy of that finding. [ Hold]

C. The first is a finding whose implications are at issue in the argument; the second
is an intermediate conclusion that has been used to support a conclusion that the
argument criticizes.[ Not the implications]

D. The first is a claim that the argument disputes; the second is a narrower claim that
the argument accepts. [Nop]

E. The first is a claim that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument
accepts; the second is that conclusion. [Second is not the conclusion]

Answer: B
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 17:20
hanumayamma wrote:
Some how it was B for me!

Situation: A higher report of the incidences is not due inaccuracies but due to incentive to report the incidence.

Bold face1: Evaluates the argument
Boldface2: not supported or rejected by the argument

argument on the accuracy of that finding. [Second is not intermediate conclusion]

evidence that has been used to challenge the accuracy of that finding. [ Hold]

argument criticizes.[ Not the implications]

the argument accepts. [Nop]

accepts; the second is that conclusion. [Second is not the conclusion]

Answer: B

It has to be the implications and here is why. The argument starts off to say that the frequency of such WL claims is twice compared to other countries which do not support the WL claims. Author agrees that there might be spurious claims but disagree with the bigger claim that half of all the claims are spurious and also draws another conclusion that one cannot compare it with the countries which do not support WLC as there is no incentive to claim there.

Any way, the ice breaker was the evidence vs IC. I feel that it is IC and not evidence because

(a) Some commentators have argued, correctly, that since there is presently no objective test for whiplash, spurious reports of whiplash injuries cannot be readily identified. Reason in red conclusion in green

(b) commentators are, however, wrong to draw the further conclusion that in the countries
with the higher rates of reported whiplash injuries, half of the reported cases are spurious:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2008, 03:20
C for me
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 733 [0], given: 40

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 04:07
This is one of those arguments on which there are multi types of BF questions has been created :)

I marked C in 3+ min

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Re: GMAT Set 30 - 26   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2010, 04:07