Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 01:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2156

Kudos [?]: 7538 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 22:32
Expert's post
Thanks. This is great. There is also another GMAT Calendar around, just FYI.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 08:36
melissawlim wrote:
bb wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
excellent post bb.
One thing I would emphasize is how quickly procrastination time goes by. It is way too easy to begin studying with 3 months left, take a short break, and resume studying with only weeks left. On the one hand, it seems like one month is plenty of time to study for just a single test, but after really starting, you realize that you have a LOT to cover and begin panicking. I know that's the case with me. 2 months ago I thought I had an eternity to study, but a couple of days ago I realized I am screwed and wish I had more time. :(

Thank you!
Great point - the message should be clear: If you only have 3 months left and need 700+ score - you are already late!

Oh dear, I do need to increase an embarrassing score in the low 500s to 700+ because I'm planning to get into a Top 20 school. I decided to embark on that 3 month study plan until i came across this post and you're saying 3 months is already too late?. How else and how much time should I devote to preparing then? I have about 10 more months before 2011 Round 1 applications. My schedule in the early months would involve strengthening my personal profile, researching on schools and working full time, on top of GMAT preparation. I plan to use the last 2 months for writing essays.

I know it is arrogant of me to think so, but I initially thought that the GMAT was easy, and merely a summary of what you've learn in college. I ignorantly based that assumption on what I've heard from my friends. One of my friends scored a 760 on his first try without any preparation work. He advised me not too study too much so I won't bog my mind down with too much info. Also I started off with Princeton Review (which i only just found out is not a very useful guide from this forum). After reading what is on here, I begin to recognize that I have been doing all the wrong things (including wasting GMATPrep Tests and OG SC and PS questions, and listening to the wrong, although well-intended, advice.

bb, you mentioned in your study plan that those plans are for a 50 to 150 points increase. But as you can see in my case, I need to increase my score by at least 200+. Any guidance or reference to the right resources after making the wrong moves would be greatly appreciated.

I'd recommend putting the premium on the gmat and identifying what you don't know regarding the exam content. The reality is that you can write essays anytime but can't always study. The gmat is the most constrained aspect of the process. So I encourage you to study as best you can and strengthen your profile as time allows you to do so. When it's time for your essays, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to critique them, myself included.

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 08:48
KrivoyRog wrote:
Hello Fellows!

I would like to share my study plan with you. It is in MS Excell, so you may use it for yourself as well (in case it is a good one :) )
And of course your comments are welcome.

I have spent around 1 month studying the GMAT Club and want to say it is great! Based on this I've build my plan, made some shopping on Amazon (some books are still coming) and hope to avoid mistakes other fellows did and kindly shared their experience.

During my preparation I will also share my experience and report any success/mistakes I will make

Regards,
Krivoy Rog

Good plan. I'm going through the Manhattan materials as well. I have about 2.5 months left and intend to get to OG's asap. I feel like the Manhattan materials have helped me see areas to work on so I intend to use them along with my error log for addressing growth areas.

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 10:37
Hello!

I did my evaluation today GMATPREP1, and the result is not pretty :-D

** Quantitative part
I was only able to do 20 questions in 75 minutes

** Verbal
I was able to do all the questions, I had some spare time 10 min.

So I got:
Quantitative 25
Verbal 20
Total 400

The MBA schools I am aiming for ask at least for 700+, some work need to be done before I pass the GMAT on end of march 2010.

The good news is I understand most of my errors for the Quantitative Part. For the Verbal part, most of my errors where on the sentence corrections.

Someone knows how I could see the 17 questions of my quantitative part, I would like to do them, even if I am off time.

Thanks in advance.

See ya!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 11:20
Expert's post
nailgmattoefl wrote:
Hello!

I did my evaluation today GMATPREP1, and the result is not pretty :-D

** Quantitative part
I was only able to do 20 questions in 75 minutes

** Verbal
I was able to do all the questions, I had some spare time 10 min.

So I got:
Quantitative 25
Verbal 20
Total 400

The MBA schools I am aiming for ask at least for 700+, some work need to be done before I pass the GMAT on end of march 2010.

The good news is I understand most of my errors for the Quantitative Part. For the Verbal part, most of my errors where on the sentence corrections.

Someone knows how I could see the 17 questions of my quantitative part, I would like to do them, even if I am off time.

Thanks in advance.

See ya!

The short answer is that You can't. GMAT prep is adaptive, so if you dont' answer question 21, software does not know what questions 22 is supposed to be.
There are a total of 900+ quant questions in the GMAT prep. You should not waste these tests just for practice, but when you are in the last stages of your prep, you can keep retaking the tests (you can either reset them or reinstall. Many believe that reinstalling gives you better results in terms of randomizing questions). This is all discussed here: gmatprep-gmat-prep-powerprep-power-prep-free-tests-77548.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 11:45
Thanks for your reply bb !!!

I did the a test to have an idea of where I was starting from.

In your advices for beginner you advised to take a first test, just to access the level, so I did so :-D.

But know I received all my books and I will start working on it, I am international and I just discover the concept of GMAT 1 week ago.

I will follow the 3 months plan.

During all the month of January 2010, I will focus on Math section.

See ya!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 05:16
hi bb,

need sm help,i m new to ths club n js strtng wt GMAT prep,in 1st jan i gave trial test to see whr i stand n i scored js 350 :(

m strtng wt Kaplan premier program today ....plz let me knw in hw mny daz i shd target to finish it n wht next.......plz advice wht shd b my preparng strategy like i m targetting ISB...........

plz rpl
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 19:50
Just want to say hi to everyone here. I just started preparing for taking my GMAT again...didn't go so well the first time around. Hope to solve some problems with you all soon in the Math and Verbal forums!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 20:49
Expert's post
neha04 wrote:
hi bb,

need sm help,i m new to ths club n js strtng wt GMAT prep,in 1st jan i gave trial test to see whr i stand n i scored js 350 :(

m strtng wt Kaplan premier program today ....plz let me knw in hw mny daz i shd target to finish it n wht next.......plz advice wht shd b my preparng strategy like i m targetting ISB...........

plz rpl

Good plan. Start with the Kaplan Premier to get your bearings and then take a few of the Kaplan tests when you are done to check where you stand. Then you can decide what to focus on based on time and energy.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 12:45
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the club and actually it is also my first time replying to any forum! I want to say this place is great; fills with people who are dedicated to do well on GMAT and it also provides advices and directions to people who are lost studying for the test.
I started my GMAT study about one week ago - before joining the club. Even I bought the right book (voted best book - GMAT OG 12th) but I have already made the common mistakes with GMAT preparation – starting with OG means wasting the official questions. I took the OG diagnostic test and its interpretive guide showed all 5 areas are (barely) Above Average – but I haven’t tried Prep Test 1 yet to know my score (plan to do that next). I want to take as many practice tests as possible (yes, I’ve discovered “all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.” – sorry, they don’t let me post links yet). Besides improving the score, I also want to ensure I can finish on time.
After reading “best-gmat-books-reviews-recommendations-for-your-prep-77703”, I plan to soon purchase one Manhattan GMAT study guide (mainly to get the 6 free tests) and Kaplan GMAT 2010 Premier live online (for more practice questions before going back to OG). And I won’t forget all the tests I can get online for free.
Thanks in advance for any feedback and good luck to all.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 11

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 12:38
Hi BB and everyone on this forum,
I'm new to this forum, and I find it extremely helpfull. I began to read on some GMAT prep material and taking some exercizes a manth or so ago, untill I stumbled onto this website.
I read a thred about taking the GMAT prep test to assess my "GMAT skills"...made 660 (Q:44, V:37)...made a bunch of dumb/simple mistakes(both PS and DS) in Quantative part and answer the ones more complicated...In verbal--the mistakes came mostly from the RC and CR
So, I guess, my question to you guys is should I follow the novices study plan or follow the "650 to 700+" approach?
I bought following:

GMAT official guide,12th Edition
both GMAT official quant and verb reviews
Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction
Manhattan GMAT Reading Comprehesion
Power Score Critical Reasoning Bible

Planing to spend 2.5-3.5 months for preparation. will be using error log, and timer (although had no problem of completing the GMAT prep on time)...
Please advise on the prep schedule...any suggestions will be appreciated
Alex
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 14:33
Expert's post
alexBLR wrote:
Hi BB and everyone on this forum,
I'm new to this forum, and I find it extremely helpfull. I began to read on some GMAT prep material and taking some exercizes a manth or so ago, untill I stumbled onto this website.
I read a thred about taking the GMAT prep test to assess my "GMAT skills"...made 660 (Q:44, V:37)...made a bunch of dumb/simple mistakes(both PS and DS) in Quantative part and answer the ones more complicated...In verbal--the mistakes came mostly from the RC and CR
So, I guess, my question to you guys is should I follow the novices study plan or follow the "650 to 700+" approach?
I bought following:

GMAT official guide,12th Edition
both GMAT official quant and verb reviews
Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction
Manhattan GMAT Reading Comprehesion
Power Score Critical Reasoning Bible

Planing to spend 2.5-3.5 months for preparation. will be using error log, and timer (although had no problem of completing the GMAT prep on time)...
Please advise on the prep schedule...any suggestions will be appreciated
Alex

Alex, you are in a great/fantastic shape! My first test was 540. If you are able to eliminate a few of your simple/novice errors, you should be close to 700, so definitely welcome to pick the higher level one.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 11

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 19:16
BB,
thankyou for the quick response...will start to prepare next week.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 06:01
hi guys
can you advice me a plan for praparing for the gmat in 13 days??
i know it is reallu hard but i need to get at 650 and I hope to be able to score it.
i dont know how to deal with it...
if you have some material or for some advice you can reply here or to my personal email:pacciablond@hotmail.it
\
thank you for advice!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 18:43
Expert's post
lucalelli88 wrote:
hi guys
can you advice me a plan for praparing for the gmat in 13 days??
i know it is reallu hard but i need to get at 650 and I hope to be able to score it.
i dont know how to deal with it...
if you have some material or for some advice you can reply here or to my personal email:pacciablond@hotmail.it
\
thank you for advice!

Here you go: GMAT Cramplan
Also get some practice tests such as GMATPrep or MGMAT.

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 117

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 09:33
Hi to all!
First of all, I am new to this site & slowly getting fond of this site. Great work done bb and all other who contributed.

Now coming to point, I have some questions to ask and some suggestions for my future plan.

1) I am an engineer currently working as an System Integration Engineer for Motorola (not a direct employee). I have 2+ years experience in Wimax (Radio Access Network). And wanna change my Career Path so what would be your suggestions regarding this. actually I wanna move to management as mostly in my profession people move to management ultimately. And I really don't know in which area of management I should move keeping my background experience in my mind.

2) I have 2 years to study GMAT (plenty of time) as I plan to go for MBA after 4 or 5 years of experience. So, I'll be starting from scratch, reviewing basic concepts first then move to more hardcore preparation. My target is 700+ ( desired 740+ ) minimum 680+. I know! I have high hopes but it's not impossible so gotta practice a lot. And, I can manage to get most of the time to study on weekends and may be 3 to 4 hours on weekdays. So my question is what should be my schedule?

3) Keeping all of this in mind what books you'll suggest for me to start from and then adopt after getting a firm grasp on basic concepts. By the way! I don't wanna waste money :).

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 7538 [1] , given: 3623

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 22:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Why don't you take a diagnostic test and we'll talk then.
You can always focus on verbal if you feel your quant is very good.
MGMAT SC
MGMAT CR
MGMAT RC

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 14:10
Hey guys,
I plan on starting my GMAT studying this month.. once I purchase my books and all that.

I've been reading the 3-month study plan posted here but I just have a quick question. It says that you should first take a GMAT exam to see how well you score, and study accordingly from that so you know what to improve on etc.

But when you take that first GMAT test, should we be taking it cold or review some basic material beforehand?

Thanks for the help! I'm so glad I found this forum. :D
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 15:47
Expert's post
GrumpiBear501 wrote:
Hey guys,
I plan on starting my GMAT studying this month.. once I purchase my books and all that.

I've been reading the 3-month study plan posted here but I just have a quick question. It says that you should first take a GMAT exam to see how well you score, and study accordingly from that so you know what to improve on etc.

But when you take that first GMAT test, should we be taking it cold or review some basic material beforehand?

Thanks for the help! I'm so glad I found this forum. :D

It does not matter. You have to walk 100 steps, so whether you measure the distance when you stand at point 0 or at point 10, the total distance does not change, just the remainder of distance still to be walked.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 15:53
bb wrote:

It does not matter. You have to walk 100 steps, so whether you measure the distance when you stand at point 0 or at point 10, the total distance does not change, just the remainder of distance still to be walked.

That is a very profound statement, lol, thanks. I think I'll review a bit before I take my first test.. taking it cold will definitely skew my score lower.
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2010, 15:53