Last visit was: 06 Oct 2024, 00:51 It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 00:51
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
 1   2   3  ...  24   
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [4]
Given Kudos: 546
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE:Asset Management (Finance: Investment Banking)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all UVA Darden MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Reserved Post.
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.1
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Packaged Goods)
Send PM
Re: Calling all UVA Darden MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
good luck to all our (future) classmates! Know the feeling...
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Is anyone going to attend one of Darden's "Fridays in July" events? I will be at the event on the 29th, hopefully with a shiny new GMAT from the Friday prior as well. I will be staying Friday night to check out Charlottesville, really looking forward to seeing the campus, the town, and meeting other prospective classmates.
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
i signed up for july 15th date to check out the school and talk to admissions. i really would like to get a feel for the school since its in a college town. i heard charlottesville is beautiful though.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1457 [0]
Given Kudos: 584
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
A close friend of mine who graduated from UVA raves about Charlottesville constantly, however different strokes for different folks. So great that you're taking advantage of this opportunity to speak with admissions.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor MBAPrepCoach.com
Send PM
Expert Reply
I recently read an article where the admissions director stated that the average age for Darden admits is 22 - 27, however there are no strict cut-offs. Admit ages are trending downward but found that to be a little surprising.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Tuck '19 (M$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach
I recently read an article where the admissions director stated that the average age for Darden admits is 22 - 27, however there are no strict cut-offs. Admit ages are trending downward but found that to be a little surprising.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA

This is interesting, according to Darden's site, their age range is 23-33 with the average being 27.
(https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/admi ... a-formats/)

Also, do you have any insight as to why some schools' average age has been dropping over the last few years?
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
i have to think that the reason why its trending lower is because of the increase in gender diversity that schools want to promote. i think its tough to bring older female applicants because many of them, not all, are thinking of raising families at that time. on the other hand i could be completely wrong about this. the other reason could be the increase in international applicants who don't want to commit years of their lives at an older age.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey all, the UVA application is now live for the 2016-2017 application cycle!

Who's in this year?
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 610 Q42 V32
Send PM
Hello! Does any one know what to expect from "Fridays in July"? On the Darden site it says lunch with the Adcom and a Tour of the Grounds...Should we be prepared for an "almost interveiw"?

Could not find anything on last year's thread. Thank you in advance!!
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 610 Q42 V32
Send PM
bonks
Is anyone going to attend one of Darden's "Fridays in July" events? I will be at the event on the 29th, hopefully with a shiny new GMAT from the Friday prior as well. I will be staying Friday night to check out Charlottesville, really looking forward to seeing the campus, the town, and meeting other prospective classmates.

Good luck for your GMAT!! :)

Do you happen to know what to expect from this event? Should we be prepared to answer any questions i.e. Why MBA, Goals etc? Not sure yet if I will go...
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 3: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Other (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
admithopeful
bonks

Do you happen to know what to expect from this event? Should we be prepared to answer any questions i.e. Why MBA, Goals etc? Not sure yet if I will go...

Has anybody attended one of these events yet? I'm going to the one this Friday and wasn't sure what to expect. Did a search and couldn't really find any info.
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Charlottesville Named No. 4 in the US for Entrepreneurship
There are already so many reasons to love Charlottesville: the food, the music and the mountains, to name a few. And now we have another reason to add to the list: Entrepreneur Magazine named the city the No. 4 best city for entrepreneurs. Read on to learn more.

The Charlottesville, Virginia, area continues to draw plaudits for its entrepreneurial ecosystem, with Entrepreneur naming the city No. 4 on its list of the 50 best cities for entrepreneurs.

The methodology takes into account a number of factors to identify the “best places to launch and operate a business,” including the number of businesses and employees between 2011 and 2015, the number of venture capital deals in the last 10 years, the business tax rate, cost of living, the percentage of college-educated locals and the growth of good jobs and high income positions, among other data points.

The result, published in the magazine’s August issue, is what the publication calls “50 of the nation’s most livable, viable cities for entrepreneurs to be successful and enjoy life.”

The latest accolade for the city reinforces the portrait of an entrepreneurial scene on the rise, as the National Venture Capital Association recently named Charlottesville the fastest-growing venture capital ecosystem in the nation, a designation driven in part by investments secured by several ventures supported by the University of Virginia Darden School of Business.

Moreover, the latest ranking comes less than a month after Financial Timesnamed the Darden School the No. 3 MBA program in the world for entrepreneurship.

The Financial Times’ ranking noted Darden’s ability to help entrepreneurs start, finance and recruit employees to their ventures as key to the School’s high ranking.

The School’s increasingly robust entrepreneurial ecosystem, driven by the efforts of the Batten Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, includes a curriculum focused on the development of entrepreneurial skills, resources such as the W.L. Lyons Brown III i.Lab at UVA and the Batten Venture Internship Program, partnerships with startup incubators across the country and thought leadership displayed in research and at conferences, among other efforts.

“This ranking shows just how much Charlottesville hits above its weight in terms of its entrepreneurial energy and dynamism” said Sean Carr, executive director of the Batten Institute. “It’s a reminder that this is an exceptional environment in which to launch game-changing new ventures and, with the support of Darden and UVA, to become a great entrepreneurial leader.”

This article originally appeared on Darden’s News & Events page. To learn more about Darden’s entrepreneurship offerings, we encourage you to visit our website.

https://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/virginia ... av0l2NvIj0
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
wolfpack617
admithopeful
bonks

Has anybody attended one of these events yet? I'm going to the one this Friday and wasn't sure what to expect. Did a search and couldn't really find any info.

Yes. I have attended the previous July 15th one. They don't ask any questions and don't interview anyone. I think the overall function of the event is to get people who are interested to learn more about Darden and what the school has to offer as well as answer any lingering questions. I had a great time visiting charlottesville and learning about Darden and I think you will too. Good luck!!!
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 3: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Other (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
bkhu
Yes. I have attended the previous July 15th one. They don't ask any questions and don't interview anyone. I think the overall function of the event is to get people who are interested to learn more about Darden and what the school has to offer as well as answer any lingering questions. I had a great time visiting charlottesville and learning about Darden and I think you will too. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the response! Good luck on your applications!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bulldozer
MBAPrepCoach

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA

This is interesting, according to Darden's site, their age range is 23-33 with the average being 27.
(https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/admi ... a-formats/)

Also, do you have any insight as to why some schools' average age has been dropping over the last few years?
@Bulldozer 80% sure that the phenomenon is related to employer needs. To be quite honest, they want more years where they can extract 80 hour weeks out of you. Before you have children and want a better quality of life. @bkhu I think it's related to what you're saying, but for men as well. As the responsibilities of Parenthood over being shouldered by both genders. By the way I am a huge Butters fanatic. :)

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
Send PM
Expert Reply
bkhu
wolfpack617
admithopeful
[quote="bonks"]Is anyone going to attend one of Darden's "Fridays in July" events? I will be at the event on the 29th, hopefully with a shiny new GMAT from the Friday prior as well. I will be staying Friday night to check out Charlottesville, really looking forward to seeing the campus, the town, and meeting other prospective classmates.

Yes. I have attended the previous July 15th one. They don't ask any questions and don't interview anyone. I think the overall function of the event is to get people who are interested to learn more about Darden and what the school has to offer as well as answer any lingering questions. I had a great time visiting charlottesville and learning about Darden and I think you will too. Good luck!!![/quote]
@bkhu how would you describe the culture there? It seems quite a bit more formal to me than other schools in the South. Wondering if you picked up any major Impressions along those lines that you could share here, related to cultural fit rather.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3  ...  24   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7080 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts