Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help with Data Sufficiency

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Help with Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 06:49
I started to restart my preparations for the GMAT to be taken this May and I am spending the whole month of March studying the Math Section and April taking care of the verbal. When it comes to the Problem Solving type of questions on the Quantitative section, I can easily spot and have an idea on how to go about solving the question. When it comes to Data Sufficiency, that is a whole different story altogether.

My issue with Data Sufficiency is that when I see the question and I go through the statements, I would think that only one statement is sufficient, and when I answer the question and check the answers in the Official Guide for GMAT, I find out that I am totally wrong and it really stinks. I really want to ace the GMAT and I want to make sure that I have some level of accuracy and familiarity with question types.

Maybe my whole approach to the Data Sufficiency question types may not be good. I am really struggling with this question type and I will need some help from experienced GMAT Clubbers who are also good with this question type.

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2110 [0], given: 30

Re: Help with Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 09:25
Expert's post
Hi, there. I'm happy to give my 2 cents here. :)

Here's a link to a blog I wrote, an Introduction to GMAT Data Sufficiency ----

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/introduction-to-gmat-data-sufficiency/

at the bottom of that blog article is a link to a free video lesson. At Magoosh, we have over 150 math video lessons, including a whole video series discussing strategy on the DS section. The video linked to the blog will give you a taste.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 313 [1] , given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Help with Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
* You need to have a consistent approach for DS questions. I would suggest looking at diagram on page 260 of the official guide. This approach may seem lengthy at the start but will make you expert in the long run. Typing with two hands is slow and painful in the start but is great in the long run.

*Try DS Questions from OG 12/OGQR and solve them untimed trying to get each question absolutely correct, even if you have to spend 5-10 mins/question. In DS the problem is that people try to rush through without thinking deep enough and consider all possibilities. This wrong approach is reinforcing. Once you get the correct approach in untimed situation you will figure out which questions needs more time for considering all the possibilities. Solving quickly will never allow you to develop this habit.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 20

Re: Help with Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 14:40
I don't know if I am alone in feeling this way, but I feel that being able to solve through very difficult Problem Solving problems correctly, and thoroughly understanding the concepts involved in the process, helps tremendously and carries over well to Data Sufficiency. If initially having trouble in a particular topic with DS, try to solve the PS problems first, and this may identify underlying areas of weakness, which you can them in turn target and improve your overall mathematical comprehension.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Help with Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 04:21
This post received
KUDOS
DS is about breaking the problem down to determine what is the question really asking.

Read the strategy guide in my sig for something that works up to the 600-650 level. After that, you need to hone in and have stronger quant skills, but the basic DS strategy works quite well outside of that.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: Help with Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 14:51
I would agree with Abhi, the guide is systematic but effective!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help with Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 04:05
Folks. Thanks for your input and suggestions. Now, when I face these types of questions, I do not easily get scared, but I am still trying to come up with a fully powerful formula that I can use to crack these types of questions.

Thanks once again.
Re: Help with Data Sufficiency   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2012, 04:05