It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1822 [2] , given: 150

Premium Member
Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 13:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

CBS Success Stories

Active Current Students/Alumni from GMAT Club: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mappleby
MBAInvestor - specializes in Investments/Financial industry
Dakells

Columbia Social Media Updates

:arrow: ***** Calling ALL Admitted CBS Folks - Class of 2019 *****

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 !!! NEW !!!

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Kudos [?]: 1822 [2] , given: 150

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1822 [0], given: 150

Premium Member
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 13:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
Essays:

Applicants must complete one short answer question and three essays.

Short Answer Question:
What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (51 characters maximum)

Examples of possible responses:
“Work in business development for a media company.”
“Join a strategy consulting firm.”
“Launch a data-management start-up.”

Essay 1:
Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals going forward, and how will the Columbia MBA help you achieve them? (100-750 words)

Essay 2:
Columbia Business School’s students participate in industry focused New York immersion seminars; in project based Master Classes; and in school year internships. Most importantly, our students are taught by a combination of distinguished research faculty and accomplished practitioners. How will you take advantage of being “at the very center of business”? (100-500 words)

Essay 3:
CBS Matters, a key element of the School’s culture, allows the people in your Cluster to learn more about you on a personal level. What will your Clustermates be pleasantly surprised to learn about you? (100-250 words)

Optional Essay:
An optional fourth essay will allow you to discuss any issues that do not fall within the purview of the required essays.

Knight-Bagehot Fellows:
Rather than answer Essay 1, current Knight-Bagehot Fellows applying to Columbia Business School should use the space allocated to the first essay (500 words) to complete the Wiegers Fellowship application essay.

Wiegers Fellowship Essay Question:
What are your career goals? How has the Knight-Bagehot Fellowship affected these goals? How will an MBA help you achieve these goals? (500 words maximum)

Quote:
Recommendation Questions:

All first-time applications require two recommendations. Reapplicants are required to submit one new recommendation. If you have been working full-time for at least six months, one recommendation should be from your current supervisor. The second recommendation should be from either a former direct supervisor or from another professional associate, senior to you, who can share their insights on your candidacy.

If you are a college senior or have worked full-time for fewer than six months, at least one, but preferably both, of your recommendations should be from a person who can comment on your managerial abilities. You may ask a summer employer or another person whom you feel can objectively assess your professional promise. The second recommendation may be from a college professor.

Please note that Columbia Business School and several of our peer institutions use similar, if not identical, recommendation questions. This is an effort on our part to make the process easier for your recommenders. We expect that you, the applicant, will not participate in the drafting of these recommendations. Applications are not considered complete until all required information is submitted. This includes recommendations.

We ask recommenders to consider the following guidelines when writing their recommendations (recommended limit - 1000 words):

How do the candidate's performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples.
Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.

Please be aware: The Admissions Committee requires that all application materials be submitted online, including recommendations.

You can find all details here that you'd require to apply to Columbia Business School this year.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 !!! NEW !!!

BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 13:38
Glenn Hubbard on MBA Rankings

Columbia’s Dean Glenn Hubbard on MBA Rankings - Dean's thoughts on MBA Rankings

CBS Decision Procedure

Mr.Matthew Moll, Associate Director(CBS) "Our goal is either to deny admission or invite for an interview or within six weeks of a completed application being received. Our goal for interviewed applicants is to render a final decision within two weeks of the interview report being completed.
It is our goal that all reviews are within these timelines. I suggest that candidates reach out to us if their application is outside of the six week timeline, but before doing so they should check their application status page for their complete date. Regarding the interview, it is two weeks from when the interviewer has submitted the interview feedback, not the date of the interview, so applicants should keep that in mind as well.
"

Mr.Matthew Moll, Associate Director(CBS) "We will start reviewing Regular Decision applications once we complete the review of Early Decision. This usually happens in early December. Regular Decision applications that are submitted prior to the start of our review of Regular Decision will be placed in a queue and reviewed on a rolling basis once we start reviewing RD applications. Additionally, candidates who submit prior to the start of our review of RD will receive notification that their six week review process has begun.We will send an e-mail to candidates who have already submitted and are in a queue who are 'waiting' for their process to begin"

Mr.Matthew Moll, Associate Director(CBS) "Need based scholarships are awarded by financial aid and will be awarded later in the cycle after admission. Merit based fellowships are managed by admissions and usually are not awarded at admissions. If you were admitted and did not hear about these awards keep in mind they usually happen later in the cycle! "

BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 13:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1822 [1] , given: 150

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 13:40
This post received
KUDOS
We welcome all prospective CBS applicants to the Class of 2019 discussion. Use this platform to know each-other, build network, exchange ideas/information, discuss application strategies, share interview /school visit experiences, and boost one-another's morale to face the tough admission process.

Good luck to all!

Kudos [?]: 1822 [1] , given: 150

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 16:07
Re applicant

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 07:11
What is meant by Required Fees - $2736 ?

I did not understand its relevance with respect to the tutition fees. :?:

It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you kudos does rev the engines :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1636 [0], given: 792

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 09:28
harshchamp wrote:
What is meant by Required Fees - $2736 ?

I did not understand its relevance with respect to the tutition fees. :?:

Refer to http://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/financial- ... gust-entry for details on the mandatory fees.

"Mandatory fees include instructional materials fee, document fee, and first-year student orientation fees. International students pay an additional $60 per semester for an ISSO fee".

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 67

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2016, 12:36
Sending best wishes to other CBS applicants :) I am excited to begin my applications!

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-degree-be-way-forward

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 67

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 13:54
Just curious...is there any advantage of applying early i.e. in the next 1 month?

Has anyone applied already?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 1

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 06:18
daredevil123 wrote:
Just curious...is there any advantage of applying early i.e. in the next 1 month?

I submitted my ED application earlier this month, but still no word on an interview invite as of yet :|

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Schools: CBS J-Term "19

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 10:16
ikuzo wrote:
daredevil123 wrote:

I submitted my ED application earlier this month, but still no word on an interview invite as of yet :|

When did you submit?

I did mine on June 2nd and haven't heard back... passed 3 week day mark... I guess the chance of getting invite is getting dimmer...

Manager
Manager

GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 10:38
zzhangho wrote:
ikuzo wrote:
daredevil123 wrote:

When did you submit?

I did mine on June 2nd and haven't heard back... passed 3 week day mark... I guess the chance of getting invite is getting dimmer...

I guess there is nothing to worry guys.

The advoms first view the J term apps and then move to the ED.

There's still hope

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you kudos does rev the engines :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 1

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 13:35
zzhangho wrote:
ikuzo wrote:
daredevil123 wrote:

When did you submit?

I submitted my application a week after you did...I am not really sure if the 3 week turnaround is applicable in all cases...

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 13:43
I hope so...:) In theory, we should be notified within the 6 weeks.... I guess I can afford to wait for another three weeks!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 13:45
I hope so...:) In theory, we should be notified within the 6 weeks.... I guess I can afford to wait for another three weeks!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 07:40
Hi everybody,

I think they must be still reviewing the J term applications as I submitted mi ED application on the 3rd of June and haven't heard back yet!

Good luck to you all :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 07:42
zzhangho wrote:

Hi zzhangho,

did you hear back yet?

Just out of curiosity as from what I have read you applied nearly the same day as me!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 87

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 08:49
mbaprospective1991 wrote:
Hi everybody,

I think they must be still reviewing the J term applications as I submitted mi ED application on the 3rd of June and haven't heard back yet!

Good luck to you all :)

This is strange!! They responded in dot 3 weeks last year, irrespective of J term etc. Usually this is less stressed time for them, as they don't receive many applications in June/July compared to Oct onwards.

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 87

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
B

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 07:22
mbaprospective1991 wrote:
zzhangho wrote:

Hi zzhangho,

did you hear back yet?

Just out of curiosity as from what I have read you applied nearly the same day as me!!

The ED applications are usually faster than the traditional 3 week turnaround time. They wont look at your applications until EVERYTHING related the application is received by them, including the recommendation letters. So make to check in your application portal as to when did they receive your recommendation letters. CBS starts to spend closer to 3 weeks towards the end of the ED and RD cycles when too many people apply at the same time.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2016, 07:22

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  28    Next  [ 548 posts ]