It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 13:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019

new topic post reply Update application status  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 4

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GRE 1: 317 Q162 V155
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Other)
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 12:35
This post received
KUDOS
Got invited to interview! So excited!!

Submitted 11/1/17

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 4

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3864 [0], given: 2465

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 08:06
Columbia adcom chat is starting in 20 minutes. Join us in the chat room if you have any questions for CBS adcom. http://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Narenn wrote:
Tuesday, Feb 21: Live Q&A with Columbia Admission Director! (Last CBS Live Chat of this Application Season)

Dear Applicants, We will conduct a live chat with Kelsey Kephart, Assistant Director of Admissions at Columbia, on Tuesday, Feb 21. We hope all of you will attend this chat. If anyone can't attend the session but has questions for the adcom, you can PM your questions to me and I will try to get their answers from the adcom. Thank you! See y'all in the event.

February 21, 2017 | Tuesday | 8:30 AM Pacific Time; 11:30 AM Eastern Time; 4:30 PM GMT | Place:New Chat Room
Add this event to your Google calendar

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
CBS Chat.png

100+ Interview Debriefs from GMAT Club members

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 08:40
Update from Columbia Adcom Chat

"We’ll be launching the new application by late-May (at the latest). Early Decision and January deadlines will remain in early October. The merit-based fellowship deadline will remain in early January, and our final deadline is always in mid-April." - Kelsey Kephart, CBS Admission Director.

Join us in the chat here.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 08:50
Interview Tips from Adcom

• Treat it like a job interview. Dress professionally, bring a copy of your resume. Your application is all the preparation you need for the interview.
  • Our alumni are our interviewers - they are the best judge for community fit. They’re volunteers who are excited to give back to the school and build the next generation of CBS graduates. It’s also a chance for interviewing students to learn about CBS - ask questions!
  • We never expect students to travel significant distances to interview. Most often, students interview in their home towns (or cities). Some of you joining us today are travelling for work. If and when you are invited to interview, feel free to enter in your current location. Most students are able to set up an interview within 3-7 days from when they are matched. It’s a quick process!

Join us in the chat here (Adcom will be in the chat room for another 40 minutes only).. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 09:02
"Logistically, luck plays a factor. The later and later a student applies, the less seats we have." - CBS Adcom

We will continue for another 25 minutes in anyone has any questions.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 09:31
Select Questions and Answers from todays live chat. Thank you all for participating.

Q: Would love some insight into the weight of the interview process. Heard several stories where the interviewer provides extremely enthusiastic feedback and says that the candidate will be highly recommended, but then the candidate gets rejected anyway. Assuming the interviewer was being honest, what is typically the reason behind those rejections?

A: great question. The interview is never "make or break". It is one piece of the puzzle. After a student interviews, they go to committee. Committee consists of 4-8 team members, including myself, that re-read the entire application all over again as a group. A vote takes place which determines the final result.
Adding to that, sometimes there are wonderful interview reports that come in though as a group, we feel that the student is not a fit for the school. We never use metrics or quotas. Our decisions are based on discussions.
Logistically, luck plays a factor. The later and later a student applies, the less seats we have.

Q: Do you allocate a certain number seats to certain countries? for dual-citizenship applicant is there any preference which citizenship to "use" for an application?

A: Absolutely not. We do have any quotas for countries, industries, etc., The dual citizenship is a great question. If a student identifies with a particular citizenship over the other, list that first. There’s no hard and fast rule. It’s personal preference.

Q: J term students do not do an intern. Are they at disadvantage while recruiting? Do you have different criterion for J term admits?

A: I would like to make a slight correction. Jterm students do not do summer internships. That said, half of the class (200 students total, so 100 students) complete in-semester internships. Those students who are in family businesses, are returning to their current employer, are starting or managing their own businesses, or are only making a slight transition (as opposed to a leap across industries) are all great fits for J-term. If a student wants to make a big transition into ibanking or consulting, they will miss the recruiting season (early Fall to early Winter) for those industries. Those industries to not lend themselves to J-term.

Q: For ED applicants, are they at a significant disadvantage for a fellowship? Given that you already have them locked in and don’t need to incentive them.

A: That’s not necessarily true. This year, we’ve given out fellowships to ED applicants. Beyond that, we also give out need-based scholarships. Students apply to need-based aid after they are admitted. We give out just as much need-based as we do merit-based, to ensure that students who want to pursue their MBA at CBS can financially afford to do so! And, just because a student applies Early Decision, that doesn’t mean they’re any less meritorious!

Q: Any impact of proposed changes in H1B visa policy by President Trump’s administration you see on number of international applications in next application cycle?

A: Our International Students & Scholars Office (ISSO - https://isso.columbia.edu/) is working to provide additional information to those with visa-related questions. Practically speaking, the potential scope of this Order and how it could affect visa applications is yet to be determined for the next class. The Order’s legal status is evolving. Should there be any new developments, we’ll share those with prospectives. Schools all over the country are waiting to see what, if any, policy changes are enacted.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 13:49
Dinged today without Interview :(

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 38

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 05:07
Hi Everyone,

I am writing about the post below. Can anyone please share if there are any ethical consequences if I reject the offer at this stage, and join another program. I have paid the initial deposit, have my VISA Stamped already. However, I just received a competitive offer. Am I at a risk of losing both the programs If I say no to Columbia:( ( That would be really sad).

Hi Members,

I hope you are doing well. Never visited this site actively before but am reaching out to the community now as I am facing tough choices. I am an Indian male with 5 years of work experience in risk management and am looking for a career in consulting after MBA.

I am in a big dilemma. I have a Columbia admit, have paid the deposit and I have got my VISA Stamped as well. Columbia had been my top choice throughout the application season. However, I recently got admitted to INSEAD January intake with significant scholarships. I am not sure what to pick now.

I am struggling with:

1. I have already paid a deposit to Columbia and am way deep in the process. VISA is stamped. Is there a way out now? If I say no to them, will I face any consequences? Is it binding? ( I have not explored this yet).

2. I am not sure about the scenario in the US and now that I have a choice, I am more inclined towards a one year MBA from INSEAD.

3. These two programs are coming at very different price tags and I will be paying significantly more to Columbia. Is it worth it? Will I have a job in the US in the current scenario?

4. US vs. Europe? How to decide? : I know I should have asked this question a year ago, but I really need your help now.

Warm regards,

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2017, 05:07

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   [ 548 posts ] 

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap