Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:37 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [17]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10017 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Actual cost of a Columbia MBA [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Class2015CBS wrote:
Good catch. I'll fix the chart, dining out and groceries got switched. Should be $700/month for groceries and $140/month eating out.

Posted from my mobile device

Fixed the chart. Thanks for posting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
If you don't mind my asking, did Columbia give you any fellowships/aid?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes but not much. Columbia is unfortunately very stingy with aid. Dean Hubbard acknowledges it but all the fundraising has been focused on the new building so nothing much has happened to change it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.89
WE:Science (Health Care)
Send PM
Bookmarks
A question. How did you come up with the Metro expenses?

A 30-day unlimited MetroCard is currently $112, or $113 if you get a new card. Two people should be double that. But I guess your spouse doesn't work (and doesn't venture out to other hoods everyday) or you live in a walking distance of Columbia?

Citi bikes are less than $100 A YEAR though the fee is rumored to go up quite a bit in the near future, that's IF you can brave the NYC car traffic and parked cars whose doors can swing open in front of you with no warnings what so ever.

I suspect that your food expenses may be slightly less than those of a single person. Cooking for two people may be saving some. I spend $400 a month in groceries and cheap street-vendor / bodega food like a morning egg and cheese sandwich, without counting real dine-outs on weekends. And I only consume 1000-1200 kcal a day which is perhaps less than what the average person needs, though I only buy organic when it comes to veggies. Cooking just for myself does not save anything in my case (maybe because I don't eat much to begin with) when you take into consideration the monthly gas service fee plus gas.

Your rent for 2 people? seems to be a brownstone studio rent. A single person may need more than one half of that even if they share an apartment with another student, unless the person goes to Queens/ Brooklyn/ the Bronx. I think that Columbia's room / board estimate is 1. for 9 months or so (during the two semesters), not an entire year, and 2. they assume that you share a 1BR or a 1BR converted into 2BR with another person, or 3BR with two other people, each getting a room slightly larger than a jail cell.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
NoriNYC wrote:
A question. How did you come up with the Metro expenses?

A 30-day unlimited MetroCard is currently $112, or $113 if you get a new card. Two people should be double that. But I guess your spouse doesn't work (and doesn't venture out to other hoods everyday) or you live in a walking distance of Columbia?

Yes I live walking distance to campus so the unlimited would be a waste. If you don't commute 5 days a week on the subway it is more cost effective to pay as you go.

Quote:
Citi bikes are less than $100 A YEAR though the fee is rumored to go up quite a bit in the near future, that's IF you can brave the NYC car traffic and parked cars whose doors can swing open in front of you with no warnings what so ever.

Unfortunately Citi bikes don't go anywhere near campus. They currently stop at 59th St, if you want to bike to school you'll need your own bike.

Quote:
I suspect that your food expenses may be slightly less than those of a single person. Cooking for two people may be saving some. I spend $400 a month in groceries and cheap street-vendor / bodega food like a morning egg and cheese sandwich, without counting real dine-outs on weekends. And I only consume 1000-1200 kcal a day which is perhaps less than what the average person needs, though I only buy organic when it comes to veggies. Cooking just for myself does not save anything in my case (maybe because I don't eat much to begin with) when you take into consideration the monthly gas service fee plus gas.

Yeah this can vary a lot depending on what you eat, type of groceries you buy etc. Although I've never known a situation where eating out is cheaper than cooking.

Quote:
Your rent for 2 people? seems to be a brownstone studio rent. A single person may need more than one half of that even if they share an apartment with another student, unless the person goes to Queens/ Brooklyn/ the Bronx. I think that Columbia's room / board estimate is 1. for 9 months or so (during the two semesters), not an entire year, and 2. they assume that you share a 1BR or a 1BR converted into 2BR with another person, or 3BR with two other people, each getting a room slightly larger than a jail cell.

Rent can vary wildly. I have a ~600 sq ft 1BR however I live in Harlem which is much cheaper. Some people have issues with that or don't feel safe doing that so it's up to you. I would tend to agree though that a single person will pay more than half my rent. If you have a roommate you should be able to have a decent place for under $2,000 though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bumping this back to the top with the addition of year 2 numbers. This was an expensive 2 years but you won't regret it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
yes, Manhattan is one of the most expensive cities in the world, but you should think of it as a long term investment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Wow - as Columbia is currently my top choice, these numbers staggered me..
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3133 [3]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Kudos
UN-FREAKING-AFFORDABLE!!
$134,980.30 + $ 128,525.75 => Converting to INR => ERROR!

My MBA degree right now be like ->

Attachments

cant-afford-liv.gif
cant-afford-liv.gif [ 1016.53 KiB | Viewed 20122 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the detailed summary. How does the tuition of J-term differ from normal 2-year program?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72904 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived CBS Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our CBS Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated CBS Forum for all fresh things related to the CBS MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts