Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Algebrax   Min/Max Problemsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [156]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [23]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1526 [11]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: If x and y are integers such that 2 < x ≤ 8 and 2 < y ≤ 9, what is the [#permalink]
Kudos
I tackled this question by looking to make the denominators the same.
So Y*(1/X) - X*(X/Y)=? >> (Y-X^2)/XY=?
Now looking at the numerator, I see that as X gets larger, the smaller the overall value of the numerator will be.
You're going to want the Y value to be the largest it can be since X^2 will be subtracted from it. This means that the value of X will need to be the smallest it can be.
Therefore, Y=9 and X=3 >> (9-(3)^2)/(9*3)= 0/27 or 0.
Answer is B
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: If x and y are integers such that 2 < x ≤ 8 and 2 < y ≤ 9, what is the [#permalink]
why can't x take value as 2 and y as 8?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
warriorguy wrote:
why can't x take value as 2 and y as 8?

x cannot be 2 because 2 < x ≤ 8.

But y can be 8 (2 < y ≤ 9).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
If x and y are integers such that 2 < x ≤ 8 and 2 < y ≤ 9, what is the maximum value of (1/x - x/y)?

A. \(-3\frac{1}{8}\)
B. 0
C. 1/5
D. 5/18
E. 2

1/x - x/y = y-x^2/xy , x^2 is key , x^2 value in the range 9<=x<= 64 , min value of x^2 is 9 that is the max value y can reach , thus to max y-x^2 , 0 is the max
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
If x and y are integers such that 2 < x ≤ 8 and 2 < y ≤ 9, what is the [#permalink]
Abhishek009 niks18 pushpitkc gmatbusters Skywalker18

I did not understand below quote:
Quote:
max (1/x - x/y)

the value of the above expression will be maximum when value of x is least and y is maximum

How do I break the question stem knowing that x and y are positive integers?

1.What can I say about 1/x
2. What can I say about x/y
What can I say about difference between (1) and (2)
IIM School Moderator
Send PM
Thanks niks18 for your two cents. I had an additional query.

Quote:
There are two parts to the equation. we have 1/x and then you are subtracting x/y from 1/x. so essentially the value of the resulting equation will be less than 1/x. But the question asks us to maximize 1/x-x/y, so 1/x has to attain the maximum value possible.
1/x will be maximum when x has least value because in that case its reciprocal i.e 1/x will be max. For eg. if you are given x=3 & x=4, then out of these two values max 1/x will be when x=3 because 1/3=0.333 & 1/4=0.25. So now you know that we need the least value of x for the first part.

The highlighted text is an universal fact which holds true even when 1/x reduces to an integer.
E.g. x = 1 (although I do realize that with additional constraints in Q stem, x can not take value of 1,
but can you validate my reasoning.)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1526 [0]
Send PM
adkikani wrote:
Thanks niks18 for your two cents. I had an additional query.

Quote:
There are two parts to the equation. we have 1/x and then you are subtracting x/y from 1/x. so essentially the value of the resulting equation will be less than 1/x. But the question asks us to maximize 1/x-x/y, so 1/x has to attain the maximum value possible.
1/x will be maximum when x has least value because in that case its reciprocal i.e 1/x will be max. For eg. if you are given x=3 & x=4, then out of these two values max 1/x will be when x=3 because 1/3=0.333 & 1/4=0.25. So now you know that we need the least value of x for the first part.

The highlighted text is an universal fact which holds true even when 1/x reduces to an integer.
E.g. x = 1 (although I do realize that with additional constraints in Q stem, x can not take value of 1,
but can you validate my reasoning.)

Hi adkikani

I am not sure why are you calling the highlighted statement as a "Universal fact"? can you clarify more on your query?
IIM School Moderator
Send PM
If x and y are integers such that 2 < x ≤ 8 and 2 < y ≤ 9, what is the [#permalink]
Hi niks18

By universal fact, I meant: if basic conditions are satisfied, the rule holds true for any value of a variable.
Eg. If I am given that x raised to any unknown power yields an even integer, I know for sure:
x is even.

Similarly highlighted text would hold true if (1)the ratio yielded a decimal (x: any value other than 1) or
(2) an integer (I would have to take x to be 1, just to make sure I understood the logic of subtraction clearly).

I wanted to ask you if highlighted text holds true for both conditions above.
In short, for A - B, I need to maximize A and minimize B irrespective of A and B being decimals or integers.
Let me know if we are on same page.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1526 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
adkikani wrote:
Hi niks18

By universal fact, I meant: if basic conditions are satisfied, the rule holds true for any value of a variable.
Eg. If I am given that x raised to any unknown power yields an even integer, I know for sure:
x is even.

Similarly highlighted text would hold true if (1)the ratio yielded a decimal (x: any value other than 1) or
(2) an integer (I would have to take x to be 1, just to make sure I understood the logic of subtraction clearly).

I wanted to ask you if highlighted text holds true for both conditions above.
In short, for A - B, I need to maximize A and minimize B irrespective of A and B being decimals or integers.
Let me know if we are on same page.

Hi adkikani

if we need to maximize A-B, then irrespective of nature of A & B, we will have to maximize A and minimize B. If this is your query, then we are on the same page ;)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM