Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 12:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:39) correct 35% (00:43) wrong based on 911 sessions
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than those of the 1978 harvest.

(A) less than those of the 1978 harvest

(B) less than the 1978 harvest

(C) less than 1978

(D) fewer than 1978

(E) fewer than that of India's 1978 harvest
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 75

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 20:26
"production"is non countable so "less than " should be used.
CDE Out
A Vs B
X less than Y
production less than harvest

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 20:53
Can some one explain what's wrong with A
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 20:57
dabangg wrote:

A is wrong because those refers to tons . But we need to compare harvest total in one year to harvest total in another year.

Last edited by karthikguptav on 08 Aug 2012, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 925 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 20:57
dabangg wrote:

In 1979 India's rice production was nearly 25 percent less than those of the 1978 harvest.

does it make any sense?

Rice production is singular so you can not use 'THOSE'

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 5

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 21:43
betterscore wrote:
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than those of the 1978 harvest.

(C) less than 1978

(D) fewer than 1978

Less than in the start of phrase should be there so, D and E are out. however, after less than "that of" is required to make it parallel. "Those of" is wrong as it comes when noun is plural. "C' is also out.
But why "B" is right I dont know.

Anyone, please explain.
5 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 925 [5] , given: 235

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
jitgoel wrote:
betterscore wrote:

(C) less than 1978

(D) fewer than 1978

Less than in the start of phrase should be there so, D and E are out. however, after less than "that of" is required to make it parallel. "Those of" is wrong as it comes when noun is plural. "C' is also out.

Anyone, please explain.

less than that of 1978 => right
less than that of 1978 harvest => wrong.

My weight is less than that of you => right
My weight is less than your weight => right ( similar to option 2)
My weight is less than that of your weight => wrong ? what is that of your weight?
you can not compare my weight with something which is " that of your weight".

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 5

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 22:53
gurpreetsingh wrote:
jitgoel wrote:
betterscore wrote:

(C) less than 1978

(D) fewer than 1978

Anyone, please explain.

less than that of 1978 => right
less than that of 1978 harvest => wrong.

My weight is less than that of you => right
My weight is less than your weight => right ( similar to option 2)
My weight is less than that of your weight => wrong ? what is that of your weight?
you can not compare my weight with something which is " that of your weight".

But in 'B' we are comparing production with the harvest, which might not be correct. Production with production will be ok.
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 925 [0], given: 235

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 23:39
jitgoel wrote:
But in 'B' we are comparing production with the harvest, which might not be correct. Production with production will be ok.

You don't need the attributes to be similar in terms of exact meaning. The attributes should be logically similar.

PS: production of crops is quite symbolic to harvest !!

Gmat test review :

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 10:02
betterscore wrote:

(C) less than 1978

(D) fewer than 1978

It is B. 1979 rice production is compared with 1978 harvest. Hope it helps!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 09:48
So if

was changed to

(e) less than that of...

Will that be a correct choice?

Thanks
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 124

Kudos [?]: 213 [3] , given: 10

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
We only want to use "that of" or "those of" if we are comparing something *belonging* to something else:

The design of the new tablet is similar to that of its predecessor. (The design of one is similar to the design of the other.)
Jack wanted clothes similar to those of his friends. (He wants his clothes to be similar to his friends' clothes.)

In the above examples, it would be a big problem to get rid of the relative pronoun:

The design of the new tablet is similar to its predecessor. (The design is similar to the predecessor?)
Jack wanted clothes similar to his friends. (He wants his clothes to be similar to his friends?)

In B, we are correctly comparing the production in 1979 to the harvest in 1978. If we go with gmatfighter12's proposed phrasing, "less than that of," we have to ask what "that" stands for. If we say "less than that of the 1978 harvest," then "that" doesn't seem to stand for anything. If we say "less than that of 1978," the antecedent for "that" isn't entirely clear, although "production" seems like the most reasonable choice. E would then be clearer than the other wrong answer choices, but still not as clear as B.

Note that in my examples, it was very clear what "that" and "those" stood for. If we don't know what our pronouns stand for, we should probably replace them. In general, a specific noun is preferable to a vague pronoun (unless that specific noun is clearly wrong!).

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 06:18
when the number is big, we use "less" not " fewer" , though the number is countable

is that right? I am not clear of this point.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 124

Kudos [?]: 213 [1] , given: 10

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
No, size makes no difference. We always use "fewer" for countable and "less" for uncountable. Here, we use "less" rather than "fewer" because we are comparing the overall size of production, rather than the specific number of tons. This generally happens with weights and measures. For instance, I would say "I weigh less than 200 pounds," not fewer, because I am talking about a measurement, not a group of things. I'd also say "I want less than 3 ounces of coffee" or "I have less than 5 feet of rope left." Sure, we can count pounds, ounces, and feet, but we are using them to talk about an amount, not a number. 3 ounces of coffee is a way of saying how much coffee you have, but we're not counting individual coffee beans. Similarly, in the original problem, we're not counting individual grains of rice; rather, we're measuring overall rice production.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 23:11
"less" is used for non countable. "few" is used for countable

why "few" in D and E are wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 182

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 23:43
thangvietnam, check above for the explanation given by Dmitry Farber from MGMAT. He has explained why use "Less" rather than "Fewer" to compare the measurements or weights.

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -15 [0], given: 0

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 16:21
B is correct.
Rice production is correctly compared with harvest while the comparisons in other options are not correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 03:01
DmitryFarber wrote:
No, size makes no difference. We always use "fewer" for countable and "less" for uncountable. Here, we use "less" rather than "fewer" because we are comparing the overall size of production, rather than the specific number of tons. This generally happens with weights and measures. For instance, I would say "I weigh less than 200 pounds," not fewer, because I am talking about a measurement, not a group of things. I'd also say "I want less than 3 ounces of coffee" or "I have less than 5 feet of rope left." Sure, we can count pounds, ounces, and feet, but we are using them to talk about an amount, not a number. 3 ounces of coffee is a way of saying how much coffee you have, but we're not counting individual coffee beans. Similarly, in the original problem, we're not counting individual grains of rice; rather, we're measuring overall rice production.

great, thank you, manhantan expert.

I am satisfied with oa but

In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent //less than those of the 1978 harvest.//

(C) less than 1978

(D) fewer than 1978

but "less than the 1978 harvest" modify "production" or " 41 million tons" pls, help
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 00:24
dabangg wrote:

Here those of is not clear.Where/what exactly it is pointing?. To the harvest?country?.
Remove the word and the sentence becomes clear
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 02:52
DmitryFarber wrote:

THANK YOU expert,
do you have any tips for "few " and "less" , pls help
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2013, 02:52