Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 238
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 milli [#permalink]
One thing to consider when seeing THAT and THOSE in questions is like this is what those words are actually 'replicating' and to re-read the sentence to see if it makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 milli [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
This is one of my least-favorite GMAT comparison questions ever… and that’s why we covered it on YouTube, in our 2nd webinar on comparisons. (Part I of that webinar can be found here.)

Quote:
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than those of the 1978 harvest.

(A) less than those of the 1978 harvest

The thing that jumps out at me here is the word “those.” It’s a plural pronoun, and the only reasonable plural referent is “tons.” So we’d have “…lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than the tons of the 1978 harvest."

Wait.. what? “The tons of the 1978 harvest”?? That makes no sense. The tons of rice ARE the harvest, so why the heck would we ever say “the tons of the harvest”?

So (A) is out.

Quote:
(B) less than the 1978 harvest

I’ll be honest: I don’t totally love this one, but I also can’t figure out why it’s definitely wrong. (And you’re always looking for answer choices that contain DEFINITE errors; see our beginner’s guide to SC for more on that.)

Here’s the heart of the comparison in (B): “…lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than the 1978 harvest.” This directly compares 41 million tons – which is exactly the same thing as the 1979 harvest – to the 1978 harvest. Fair enough, I guess. I suppose this would “feel” more obviously correct if the phrase compared “the 1979 harvest” directly to “the 1978 harvest”, but there’s nothing wrong with (B) in its current form. We’re still logically comparing an entire harvest (“41 million tons”) to another entire harvest.

I guess we can keep (B).

Quote:
(C) less than 1978

This one is very definitely wrong. It’s saying that the 1979 rice production of 41 million tons is less than the year 1978. We can’t logically compare the tons of rice to a year. (C) is out.

Quote:
(D) fewer than 1978

(D) has exactly the same problem as (C). The distinction between “less” and “fewer” means nothing to us here, since the comparison is completely illogical. So (D) is gone, too.

Quote:
(E) fewer than that of India's 1978 harvest

The pronoun “that” jumps out at me again here. It’s a singular pronoun, so it must refer to… “rice production”, I guess? But that makes no sense, since we’d have “fewer than the rice production of India’s 1978 harvest.” Huh? The “production of the harvest”? That’s nonsense: the harvest IS the production.

So (E) is out. (B) isn’t perfect, but it’s the best we can do.

it has to be less bc we are talking about percentage, it cannot be fewer. Or am I wrong?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Send PM
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 milli [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
Saumya2403 wrote:
what is wrong with answer choice E

Hello Saumya2403,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

There are the following two errors in Choice E:

1. Using fewer to refer to rice production is incorrect. Less should be used to refer to quantities.

2. Since the pronoun that refers back to India’s rice production, use of India’s is redundant here.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi egmat - not sure I agree on the yellow.

In (E) -- the pronoun THAT only refers to Rice production. The pronoun THAT DOES NOT refer to India's rice production.

Simple example -

#1) Jose’s room is very neat. His mother shows it off to all the guests.
Quote:

His = Jose
It = room

It DOES NOT refer to Jose's room but Room only.

#2) India's rice production is lower than THAT of Brazil

Quote:
THAT = Rice production only

THAT DOES NOT EQUAL == India's Rice Production
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Saumya2403 wrote:
what is wrong with answer choice E

Hello Saumya2403,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

There are the following two errors in Choice E:

1. Using fewer to refer to rice production is incorrect. Less should be used to refer to quantities.

2. Since the pronoun that refers back to India’s rice production, use of India’s is redundant here.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi egmat - not sure I agree on the yellow.

In (E) -- the pronoun THAT only refers to Rice production. The pronoun THAT DOES NOT refer to India's rice production.

Simple example -

#1) Jose’s room is very neat. His mother shows it off to all the guests.
Quote:

His = Jose
It = room

It DOES NOT refer to Jose's room but Room only.

#2) India's rice production is lower than THAT of Brazil

Quote:
THAT = Rice production only

THAT DOES NOT EQUAL == India's Rice Production

Hello jabhatta2,

Well, I agree that "that" refers to "rice production". Choice E is erroneous for using two possessives - that of India's 1978 harvest". Use of the "that of" is incorrect because replacing it with "rice production" will make the choice illogical.

Now, in the "Jose's room" example sentence, the pronoun "it" does refer to "Jose's room". Why? Because a pronoun is a replacement for a noun used earlier in the sentence. The pronoun refers to the same noun as a replacement. So, "it" takes the modifiers connected with "room" and stands for "Jose's room". You can try the following official sentence to see this usage: https://gmatclub.com/forum/avalanches-at-rogers-pass-in-glacier-national-park-killed-more-than-305826.html

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [1]
Send PM
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 milli [#permalink]
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Well, I agree that "that" refers to "rice production". Choice E is erroneous for using two possessives - that of India's 1978 harvest". Use of the "that of" is incorrect because replacing it with "rice production" will make the choice illogical.

Now, in the "Jose's room" example sentence, the pronoun "it" does refer to "Jose's room". Why? Because a pronoun is a replacement for a noun used earlier in the sentence. The pronoun refers to the same noun as a replacement. So, "it" takes the modifiers connected with "room" and stands for "Jose's room". You can try the following official sentence to see this usage: https://gmatclub.com/forum/avalanches-at-rogers-pass-in-glacier-national-park-killed-more-than-305826.html

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Thank you egmat - this is my take-away

'THAT' will only take the noun 'rice production' [THAT/THOSE/THEIR will not take the adjectives]

HOWEVER

Pronoun 'IT/THEY / THEM' are different.

Pronoun 'IT/THEY/THEM' will take the antecedent + the antecedent's adjectives. These pronouns pick up BOTH the adjective and the noun.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
[quote="DmitryFarber"]We only want to use "that of" or "those of" if we are comparing something *belonging* to something else:

The design of the new tablet is similar to that of its predecessor. (The design of one is similar to the design of the other.)
Jack wanted clothes similar to those of his friends. (He wants his clothes to be similar to his friends' clothes.)

In the above examples, it would be a big problem to get rid of the relative pronoun:

The design of the new tablet is similar to its predecessor. (The design is similar to the predecessor?)
Jack wanted clothes similar to his friends. (He wants his clothes to be similar to his friends?)

In B, we are correctly comparing the production in 1979 to the harvest in 1978. If we go with gmatfighter12's proposed phrasing, "less than that of," we have to ask what "that" stands for. If we say "less than that of the 1978 harvest," then "that" doesn't seem to stand for anything. If we say "less than that of 1978," the antecedent for "that" isn't entirely clear, although "production" seems like the most reasonable choice. E would then be clearer than the other wrong answer choices, but still not as clear as B.

Hi ,
I have just one confusion, if the sentence would be as below"

In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, which is nearly 25 percent less than those of the 1978 harvest.

Then 'fewer' would be the best option to use?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
https://gmatclub.com/forum/fewer-vs-less-180587.html

This may help.

Consider checking out the Sumatran rhinos question as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
This is one of my least-favorite GMAT comparison questions ever… and that’s why we covered it on YouTube, in our 2nd webinar on comparisons. (Part I of that webinar can be found here.)

Quote:
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than those of the 1978 harvest.

(A) less than those of the 1978 harvest

The thing that jumps out at me here is the word “those.” It’s a plural pronoun, and the only reasonable plural referent is “tons.” So we’d have “…lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than the tons of the 1978 harvest."

Wait.. what? “The tons of the 1978 harvest”?? That makes no sense. The tons of rice ARE the harvest, so why the heck would we ever say “the tons of the harvest”?

So (A) is out.

Quote:

I’ll be honest: I don’t totally love this one, but I also can’t figure out why it’s definitely wrong. (And you’re always looking for answer choices that contain DEFINITE errors; see our beginner’s guide to SC for more on that.)

Here’s the heart of the comparison in (B): “…lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than the 1978 harvest.” This directly compares 41 million tons – which is exactly the same thing as the 1979 harvest – to the 1978 harvest. Fair enough, I guess. I suppose this would “feel” more obviously correct if the phrase compared “the 1979 harvest” directly to “the 1978 harvest”, but there’s nothing wrong with (B) in its current form. We’re still logically comparing an entire harvest (“41 million tons”) to another entire harvest.

I guess we can keep (B).

Quote:
(C) less than 1978

This one is very definitely wrong. It’s saying that the 1979 rice production of 41 million tons is less than the year 1978. We can’t logically compare the tons of rice to a year. (C) is out.

Quote:
(D) fewer than 1978

(D) has exactly the same problem as (C). The distinction between “less” and “fewer” means nothing to us here, since the comparison is completely illogical. So (D) is gone, too.

Quote:

The pronoun “that” jumps out at me again here. It’s a singular pronoun, so it must refer to… “rice production”, I guess? But that makes no sense, since we’d have “fewer than the rice production of India’s 1978 harvest.” Huh? The “production of the harvest”? That’s nonsense: the harvest IS the production.

So (E) is out. (B) isn’t perfect, but it’s the best we can do.

Hi GMATNinja

I am having hard time choosing (B) over (C). Below is my understanding(may be pretty stupid). kindly address the GAP:

we are comparing 1979-rice production with 1978-harvest. Comparison should be between Rice to Rice, no?
harvest may have several other elements.

here ''that'' seems to refer to rice production.
Comparison elements: Rice production-1979 || Rice production out of 1978- total harvest.
So the comparison seems okay.

Also in (E), to me, ''fewer'' sounds okay.

Thanks
Ashutosh
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63651 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashutosh_73 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I am having hard time choosing (B) over (C). Below is my understanding(may be pretty stupid). kindly address the GAP:

we are comparing 1979-rice production with 1978-harvest. Comparison should be between Rice to Rice, no?

harvest may have several other elements.

here ''that'' seems to refer to rice production.

Comparison elements: Rice production-1979 || Rice production out of 1978- total harvest.

So the comparison seems okay.

Also in (E), to me, ''fewer'' sounds okay.

Thanks

Ashutosh

In this context, "harvest" just means the amount of rice gathered or produced in a particular year. In 1979, that amount was 41 million tons, and choice (B) compares that amount to the 1978 amount.

As discussed in our original explanation, the comparison might “feel” more obviously correct if the sentence compared “the 1979 harvest” directly to “the 1978 harvest”, but in this context "harvest" and "production" are used somewhat interchangeably. More importantly, "harvest" and "production" are certainly comparable things given the context, so the comparison in (B) is fine.

Choice (E) compares the 1979 rice production to the rice production of India's 1978 harvest -- so we're comparing production to production. Fine, but rice production isn't a discrete, countable thing. You could have 41 million tons, 41.1 million tons, 41.12398742{...} million tons, and so on. If (E) compared the number of tons produced in 1979 to the number of tons produced in 1978, "fewer" might be okay. But for a non-discrete quantity like production, "less" makes more sense. (For more on countable vs. non-countable modifiers, this crusty old live video or this newer one might help a bit.)

More importantly, "rice production of India's 1978 harvest" doesn't work. You could say that India produced rice, but the harvest itself (the rice gathered) doesn't produce rice.

You could also use the harvested rice to produce something else (biofuel or overpriced cosmetics, for example). But (E) implies that the harvested rice is used to produce rice, and that doesn't work.

The comparison in (B) makes more sense, so that's the better option.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts