Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 60 [2] , given: 44

GMAT Tests User
In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (02:03) correct 59% (01:08) wrong based on 234 sessions
In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) and (c, d) equidistant from the origin?

(1) \frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}

(2) \sqrt{a^2}+ \sqrt{b^2} = \sqrt{c^2} + \sqrt{d^2}
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 07 Apr 2012, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3483

Kudos [?]: 26093 [5] , given: 2705

Re: ManhttanGMAT Practice CAT [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 00:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nsp007 wrote:
In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) and (c, d) equidistant from the origin?

(1) a/b = c/d

Will post OA later.

Distance between the point A (x,y) and the origin can be found by the formula: D=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}.

So we are asked whether \sqrt{a^2+b^2}=\sqrt{c^2+d^2}? Or whether a^2+b^2=c^2+d^2?

(1) \frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d} --> a=cx and b=dx, for some non-zero x. Not sufficient.

(2) \sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2}=\sqrt{c^2} +\sqrt{d^2} --> |a|+|b|=|c|+|d|. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) a=cx and b=dx, substitute this in (2): |cx|+|dx|=|c|+|d| --> |x|(|c|+|d|)=|c|+|d| --> |x|=1 (another solution |c|+|d|=0 is not possible as d in (1) given in denominator and can not be zero, so d\neq{0} --> |c|+|d|>0) --> now, as |x|=1 and a=cx and b=dx, then |a|=|c| and |b|=|d| --> square this equations: a^2=c^2 and b^2=d^2 --> add them: a^2+b^2=c^2+d^2. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: ManhttanGMAT Practice CAT [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 01:22
Bunuel, had condition (2) simply said a+b=c+d (instead of the squares and square root) how would have the answer changed?

Also in the current question - is a^2+b^2=c^2+d^2?
When I square both sides of (2), I get a^2+b^2+2sqrt(a^2b^2)=c^2+d^2+2sqrt(c^2d^2)
so if ab=cd then this is satisfied. however (1) only gives me ad=bc, how do I infer ab=cd from that? I am following a different process, but I should end up with the same answer. Not sure where am I wrong?

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: ManhttanGMAT Practice CAT [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 00:42
I have a question here bunuel. How did you get a = c * x and b= d*x??

Because from this it means that x = b/d = a/c

Can you please explain??
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26093 [1] , given: 2705

Re: ManhttanGMAT Practice CAT [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 00:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
amitjash wrote:
I have a question here bunuel. How did you get a = c * x and b= d*x??

Because from this it means that x = b/d = a/c

Can you please explain??

It's the same: \frac{b}{d} = \frac{a}{c} --> bc=ad--> \frac{c}{d}=\frac{a}{b}.

Given: \frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}=\frac{cx}{dx} (as the ratios are equal then there exist some x for which a=cx and b=dx).

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: points equidistant from origin? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 14:52
(1) knowing these proportions does not help me solve it, because for example if 3/1 = 9/3 , point (a,b) will be closer to the origin than point (b,c)

(2) this statement tells that |a|+|b|=|c|+|d| , which is still not sufficient because we lack information about the correlation between |a| and |b|,and |c|and|d|.

But if we combine the two statements together we will have this correlation from statement (1) and then both statements taken together will be sufficient.

Answer should be C.
What is the OG answer?
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 473 [3] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: points equidistant from origin? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 15:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Orange08 wrote:

a. a/b = c/d

b. \sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2} = \sqrt{c^2} + \sqrt{d^2}

Distance of (x,y) from origin is \sqrt{x^2+y^2}
So we need to answer \sqrt{a^2+b^2}=\sqrt{c^2+d^2} ?

(1) a/b=c/d ... doesnt really help in proving or disproving. Insufficient

(2) This is equivalent to saying |a|+|b|=|c|+|d|. Again insufficient to say anything about the statement we have.

(1+2) a/c=b/d=x say (needs, c,d to be non zero)

a = cx
b = dx

|a|+|b|=|c|+|d|
|cx| - |c| = |d| - |dx|
|c|(|x|-1)=|d|(1-|x|)
(|c|+|d|)(|x|-1)=0
Since c,d are non-zero means |x|=1
So either a=c & b=d OR a=-c or b=-d
Either case a^2=c^2 and b^2=d^2
Hence \sqrt{a^2+b^2}=\sqrt{c^2+d^2}
Sufficient

Answer is (c)

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1110

Kudos [?]: 5014 [5] , given: 164

Re: Difficult Geometry DS Problem [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
abmyers wrote:

(1) a/b = c/d

(2) \sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2} = \sqrt{c^2} + \sqrt{d^2}

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C. Both statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER one ALONE is sufficient.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

You can take values to solve this question quickly:

Statement 1: a/b = c/d
(a,b) and (c,d) may be equidistant from the origin e.g. (1, 1) and (-1, -1) or they may not be e.g. (1, 1) and (2, 2). Not sufficient.

Statement 2: \sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2} = \sqrt{c^2} + \sqrt{d^2}
That is, |a|+|b|=|c|+|d|
(a,b) and (c,d) may be equidistant from the origin e.g. (1, 3) and (-1, -3) or they may not be e.g. (1, 3) and (2, 2)

Using both together, |a|+|b|=|c|+|d| and a/b = c/d.
This means that if a/c = 1/2, c/d cannot be 2/4 or -3/-6 etc. c/d has to be either 1/2 or (-1)/(-2). Similarly, if a/b = (-1)/2, c/d = (-1)/2 or 1/(-2))
Any pair of such points will be equidistant. Answer (C).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Re: ManhttanGMAT Practice CAT [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 22:56
Bunuel wrote:
nsp007 wrote:

(1) a/b = c/d

Will post OA later.

Distance between the point A (x,y) and the origin can be found by the formula: D=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}.

So we are asked whether \sqrt{a^2+b^2}=\sqrt{c^2+d^2}? Or whether a^2+b^2=c^2+d^2?

(1) \frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d} --> a=cx and b=dx, for some non-zero x. Not sufficient.

(2) \sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2}=\sqrt{c^2} +\sqrt{d^2} --> |a|+|b|=|c|+|d|. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) a=cx and b=dx, substitute this in (2): |cx|+|dx|=|c|+|d| --> |x|(|c|+|d|)=|c|+|d| --> |x|=1 (another solution |c|+|d|=0 is not possible as d in (1) given in denominator and can not be zero, so d\neq{0} --> |c|+|d|>0) --> now, as |x|=1 and a=cx and b=dx, then |a|=|c| and |b|=|d| --> square this equations: a^2=c^2 and b^2=d^2 --> add them: a^2+b^2=c^2+d^2. Sufficient.

I am getting a different final result for answer (C). Here is my approach:
\sqrt{a^2} - \sqrt{d^2} = \sqrt{c^2} - \sqrt{b^2} ----from statement (2)

Squaring both sides

a^2 + d^2 - 2\sqrt{a^2*d^2} = c^2 + b^2 - 2\sqrt{b^2*c^2}

from statement (1) we know that ad=bc --> a^2*d^2 = b^2*c^2

Cancelling last term of both sides, we get

a^2 + d^2 = c^2 + b^2
Thus, a^2 - b^2 = c^2 - d^2

Not able to figure out where I went wrong. Please suggest!

Thanks
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5014 [0], given: 164

Re: ManhttanGMAT Practice CAT [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 18:39
Expert's post
kunalbh19 wrote:

I am getting a different final result for answer (C). Here is my approach:
\sqrt{a^2} - \sqrt{d^2} = \sqrt{c^2} - \sqrt{b^2} ----from statement (2)

Squaring both sides

a^2 + d^2 - 2\sqrt{a^2*d^2} = c^2 + b^2 - 2\sqrt{b^2*c^2}

from statement (1) we know that ad=bc --> a^2*d^2 = b^2*c^2

Cancelling last term of both sides, we get

a^2 + d^2 = c^2 + b^2
Thus, a^2 - b^2 = c^2 - d^2

Not able to figure out where I went wrong. Please suggest!

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with your approach. The relation you have got holds (a^2 - b^2 = c^2 - d^2).
But if you start doing algebraic manipulations on the starting point without an eye on what you need to achieve at the end, you may not obtain the result you want. You can manipulate an expression in many ways to get seemingly different results.

Notice that Bunuel got a^2 = c^2 and b^2 = d^2. He could have chosen to add them as
a^2 + d^2 = c^2 + b^2 (or subtract them) which is same as your result. But he chose to add them as a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2 to get the expression he desired. Using the same two expressions, Bunuel arrived at a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2 and you arrived at a^2 - b^2 = c^2 - d^2, both of which are correct. But only one of them (a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2) helps you answer the question directly since you know that the distance of a point (a, b) is given by square root of (a^2 + b^2).

Try to find the relation between individual variables instead of working on the equations as a whole. Either use number plugging or Bunuel's algebraic approach.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 55

Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 07:45
1+2:

1) Ensures that the lines joining each of the two points to origin have same slope.
2) Ensures that absicca and ordinates correspondingly have equal magnitudes.
{If one line has points (a,b) then the other line will have coordinates (ak,bk) but (2) ensures that |k| = 1.}

Hence C.

KUDOS IF YOU LIKE!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 46

Re: ManhttanGMAT Practice CAT [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 11:55
Bunuel wrote:
nsp007 wrote:

(1) a/b = c/d

Will post OA later.

Hi Bunnel
i am not understanding how \sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2}=\sqrt{c^2} +\sqrt{d^2} --> |a|+|b|=|c|+|d|
have come?
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5014 [0], given: 164

Re: ManhttanGMAT Practice CAT [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 21:00
Expert's post
mun23 wrote:
\sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2}=\sqrt{c^2} +\sqrt{d^2} --> |a|+|b|=|c|+|d|
have come?

By convention, only positive roots are considered (at least in GMAT)

\sqrt{4} = 2 (and not -2)

Similarly, \sqrt{a^2} = |a| i.e. only the positive value

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 36

Re: coordinate geometry [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 18:29
This post received
KUDOS
sudharsansuski wrote:

(1) a/b = c/d

(2) (a^2)^0.5 + (b^2)^0.5 = (c^2)^0.5 + (d^2)^0.5

I didnt understand the answer explanation given by MGMAT. Could someone please help.

Origin on coordinate system is (0,0). The question is if distance between (0,0) to (a,b) is same as distance between (0,0) to (c,d)

Case 1: - a/b = c/d

let a=7, b= 14 then a/b = 1/2.

So c/d fraction has to be 1/2. i.e. c can be 2 and d can be 4. or c can be 6 & d can be 12 or c can be 7 & d can be 14. So distance between origin can either be same to (c,d) or different from (a,b). Clearly insufficient

Case 2:- (a^2)^0.5 + (b^2)^0.5 = (c^2)^0.5 + (d^2)^0.5

translates to "a + b = c + d"

let (a,b) = (4,4) and (c,d) = (4,4). Then it satisfies the condition a+b = c+d. Also distance from origin to (a,b) is same as (c,d).

let (a,b) = (5,3) and (c,d) = (4,4). Then it satisfies the condition a+b = c+d. And distance from origin to (a,b) is not same as (c,d).

Insufficient.

Lets take 1 & 2 together

we have a/b = c/d.......so a= bc/d--- Eq (1)

we also have a + b = c + d

substitute a=bc/d from Eq(1)

bc/d + b = c + d

b(c/d + 1) = c + d

b(c + d) = d(c+d)

so b = d

similarly we get a=b.

so taking 1 & 2 together, the distance between origin to both points are equal.

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 581 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 02:33
sudharsansuski wrote:

(1) a/b = c/d

(2) (a^2)^0.5 + (b^2)^0.5 = (c^2)^0.5 + (d^2)^0.5

I didnt understand the answer explanation given by MGMAT. Could someone please help.

basically we need to prove
a^2+b^2 = c^2+d^2

stmnt 1:
\frac{a}{b} = \frac{c}{d}

1/2 = 3/6 ==>using this we can prove NO
1/2 = 1/2 ==>using these numbers we can prove yes

hence insufficient
statement 2:
\sqrt{(a^2)} + \sqrt{(b^2)} = \sqrt{(c^2)} + \sqrt{(d^2)}or|a| + |b| = |c| + |d|

putting a=b=c=d=1..we will get YES.
Putting a= 1, b=2, c= 0, d=3...we will get NO.
HENCE INSUFFICIENT.

combining.
from 2nd statement: |a| + |b| = |c| + |d|
rearrange:
|a| - |d| = |c| - |b| and then square both sides.
a^2 + d^2 - 2*|a|*|d| = c^2 + b^2 - 2*|c|*|b|.

Since ad = bc as per statement 1
we can cancel few things:
a^2 + d^2 - 2*|a|*|d| = c^2 + b^2 - 2*|c|*|b|.

hence sufficient

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.39

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 08:13
nsp007 wrote:

(1) \frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}

1. ad-bc=0 means that the vector pointing to (c,d) is a scalar multiple of the vector pointing to (a,b). In other words they are collinear with the origin. If they are equidistant to the origin, the scalar will be 1 or -1. But given this information it could be any scalar. Not sufficient.

2. |a|+|b|=|c|+|d|. This means that (a,b) and (c,d) both lay on some square centered at the origin. But they could be anywhere on the square. Not sufficient.

1 and 2. (a,b) and (c,d) are collinear with the origin and both lay on a square centered at the origin. Therefore they must be the same distance from the origin. Sufficient. C
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Premium Member
In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 04:52

(1) a/b = c/d

(2) (a^2 + b^2)^(1/2) = (c^2 + d^2)^(1/2)

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.

B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.

C. Both statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER one ALONE is sufficient.

Never give up, never celebrate, never leave your spot until it is finally over
We are winning this GMAT-war together

"Your one spot for all your GMAT and B-school ranking know hows" - Click here

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 28

Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 05:56
janxavier wrote:

(1) a/b = c/d

Using distance formula, we can say that statement 2 is sufficient to answer that (a,b) and (c,d) are equidistant from Origin. Please check the OA posted.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26093 [0], given: 2705

Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 06:20
Expert's post
janxavier wrote:

(1) a/b = c/d

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the discussion above.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.87

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 04:33
This was my view:

You see immediately that both statements alone are not sufficient. So start evaluating the combination of both:

Statement A says that that the points are on the same line through the origin. Statement B says that the different "possible" points all have an equal distance to the x-axis, but also to the y-axis. Therefore, combining both options say that either (a,b) = (c,d) or (a,b) = (-c, -d). So equidistant from origin.
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b)   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2014, 04:33