GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: ManhttanGMAT Practice CAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2012, 18:39
kunalbh19 wrote:

I am getting a different final result for answer (C). Here is my approach:
\(\sqrt{a^2} - \sqrt{d^2} = \sqrt{c^2} - \sqrt{b^2}\) ----from statement (2)

Squaring both sides

\(a^2 + d^2 - 2\sqrt{a^2*d^2} = c^2 + b^2 - 2\sqrt{b^2*c^2}\)

from statement (1) we know that ad=bc --> a^2*d^2 = b^2*c^2

Cancelling last term of both sides, we get

a^2 + d^2 = c^2 + b^2
Thus, a^2 - b^2 = c^2 - d^2

Not able to figure out where I went wrong. Please suggest!

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with your approach. The relation you have got holds (a^2 - b^2 = c^2 - d^2).
But if you start doing algebraic manipulations on the starting point without an eye on what you need to achieve at the end, you may not obtain the result you want. You can manipulate an expression in many ways to get seemingly different results.

Notice that Bunuel got a^2 = c^2 and b^2 = d^2. He could have chosen to add them as
a^2 + d^2 = c^2 + b^2 (or subtract them) which is same as your result. But he chose to add them as a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2 to get the expression he desired. Using the same two expressions, Bunuel arrived at a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2 and you arrived at a^2 - b^2 = c^2 - d^2, both of which are correct. But only one of them (a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2) helps you answer the question directly since you know that the distance of a point (a, b) is given by square root of (a^2 + b^2).

Try to find the relation between individual variables instead of working on the equations as a whole. Either use number plugging or Bunuel's algebraic approach.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2012, 20:49
Hi there, i was just wondering if the way i do it is correct!

Statement 1: insuff
Statement 2 : |a|+|b|=|c|+|d|

Our goal is to prove that a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2

(1+2)

Square both sides in stmt 2.

We have a^2 + b^2 + 2|a||b| = c^2 + d^2 + 2|c||d| ----------- *
From one we know that a/b=c/d, therefore their LHS=RHS and therefore, this condition would allow us to cancel out 2|a||b| from LHS and 2|c||d| from equation *.

Please tell me that i am correct! =)

Reagan
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2012, 02:22
reagan wrote:
Hi there, i was just wondering if the way i do it is correct!

Statement 1: insuff
Statement 2 : |a|+|b|=|c|+|d|

Our goal is to prove that a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2

(1+2)

Square both sides in stmt 2.

We have a^2 + b^2 + 2|a||b| = c^2 + d^2 + 2|c||d| ----------- *
From one we know that a/b=c/d, therefore their LHS=RHS and therefore, this condition would allow us to cancel out 2|a||b| from LHS and 2|c||d| from equation *.

Please tell me that i am correct! =)

Reagan

Absolutely, I found this approach much better. Infact I am wondering why we are targetting absolute values in the equation.

(a+b)^2 = a^2+b^2+2ab [no absolute |a|, |b| needed]

From
1) we know ab = cd
2) we know a + b = c + d. and hence (a+b)^2 = (c+d)^2

Combining 1) & 2) we can very well see that a^2+b^2 = c^2+d^2
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2013, 07:45
1+2:

1) Ensures that the lines joining each of the two points to origin have same slope.
2) Ensures that absicca and ordinates correspondingly have equal magnitudes.
{If one line has points (a,b) then the other line will have coordinates (ak,bk) but (2) ensures that |k| = 1.}

Hence C.

KUDOS IF YOU LIKE!

Impossibility is a relative concept!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2013, 11:55
Bunuel wrote:
nsp007 wrote:
In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) and (c, d) equidistant from the origin?

(1) a/b = c/d

(2) \(\sqrt{a^2}+ \sqrt{b^2} = \sqrt{c^2} + \sqrt{d^2}\)

Will post OA later.

In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, b) and (c, d) equidistant from the origin?

Distance between the point A (x,y) and the origin can be found by the formula: \(D=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\).

So we are asked whether \(\sqrt{a^2+b^2}=\sqrt{c^2+d^2}\)? Or whether \(a^2+b^2=c^2+d^2\)?

(1) \(\frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}\) --> \(a=cx\) and \(b=dx\), for some non-zero \(x\). Not sufficient.

(2) \(\sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2}=\sqrt{c^2} +\sqrt{d^2}\) --> \(|a|+|b|=|c|+|d|\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) \(a=cx\) and \(b=dx\), substitute this in (2): \(|cx|+|dx|=|c|+|d|\) --> \(|x|(|c|+|d|)=|c|+|d|\) --> \(|x|=1\) (another solution \(|c|+|d|=0\) is not possible as \(d\) in (1) given in denominator and can not be zero, so \(d\neq{0}\) --> \(|c|+|d|>0\)) --> now, as \(|x|=1\) and \(a=cx\) and \(b=dx\), then \(|a|=|c|\) and \(|b|=|d|\) --> square this equations: \(a^2=c^2\) and \(b^2=d^2\) --> add them: \(a^2+b^2=c^2+d^2\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi Bunnel
i am not understanding how \(\sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2}=\sqrt{c^2} +\sqrt{d^2}\) --> \(|a|+|b|=|c|+|d|\)
have come?
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2013, 21:00
mun23 wrote:
\(\sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2}=\sqrt{c^2} +\sqrt{d^2}\) --> \(|a|+|b|=|c|+|d|\)
have come?

By convention, only positive roots are considered (at least in GMAT)

\(\sqrt{4} = 2\) (and not -2)

Similarly, \(\sqrt{a^2} = |a|\) i.e. only the positive value

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Manager
Manager
Re: coordinate geometry  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2013, 18:29
sudharsansuski wrote:

(1) a/b = c/d

(2) (a^2)^0.5 + (b^2)^0.5 = (c^2)^0.5 + (d^2)^0.5

I didnt understand the answer explanation given by MGMAT. Could someone please help.

Origin on coordinate system is (0,0). The question is if distance between (0,0) to (a,b) is same as distance between (0,0) to (c,d)

Case 1: - a/b = c/d

let a=7, b= 14 then a/b = 1/2.

So c/d fraction has to be 1/2. i.e. c can be 2 and d can be 4. or c can be 6 & d can be 12 or c can be 7 & d can be 14. So distance between origin can either be same to (c,d) or different from (a,b). Clearly insufficient

Case 2:- (a^2)^0.5 + (b^2)^0.5 = (c^2)^0.5 + (d^2)^0.5

translates to "a + b = c + d"

let (a,b) = (4,4) and (c,d) = (4,4). Then it satisfies the condition a+b = c+d. Also distance from origin to (a,b) is same as (c,d).

let (a,b) = (5,3) and (c,d) = (4,4). Then it satisfies the condition a+b = c+d. And distance from origin to (a,b) is not same as (c,d).

Insufficient.

Lets take 1 & 2 together

we have a/b = c/d.......so a= bc/d--- Eq (1)

we also have a + b = c + d

substitute a=bc/d from Eq(1)

bc/d + b = c + d

b(c/d + 1) = c + d

b(c + d) = d(c+d)

so b = d

similarly we get a=b.

so taking 1 & 2 together, the distance between origin to both points are equal.

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2013, 02:33
sudharsansuski wrote:

(1) a/b = c/d

(2) (a^2)^0.5 + (b^2)^0.5 = (c^2)^0.5 + (d^2)^0.5

I didnt understand the answer explanation given by MGMAT. Could someone please help.

basically we need to prove
\(a^2+b^2 = c^2+d^2\)

stmnt 1:
\(\frac{a}{b} = \frac{c}{d}\)

1/2 = 3/6 ==>using this we can prove NO
1/2 = 1/2 ==>using these numbers we can prove yes

hence insufficient
statement 2:
\(\sqrt{(a^2)} + \sqrt{(b^2)} = \sqrt{(c^2)} + \sqrt{(d^2)}\)or\(|a| + |b| = |c| + |d|\)

putting \(a=b=c=d=1\)..we will get YES.
Putting \(a= 1, b=2, c= 0, d=3\)...we will get NO.
HENCE INSUFFICIENT.

combining.
from 2nd statement: \(|a| + |b| = |c| + |d|\)
rearrange:
\(|a| - |d| = |c| - |b|\) and then square both sides.
\(a^2 + d^2 - 2*|a|*|d| = c^2 + b^2 - 2*|c|*|b|.\)

Since \(ad = bc\) as per statement 1
we can cancel few things:
\(a^2 + d^2 - 2*|a|*|d| = c^2 + b^2 - 2*|c|*|b|.\)

hence sufficient

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2013, 08:13
nsp007 wrote:

(1) \(\frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}\)

1. ad-bc=0 means that the vector pointing to (c,d) is a scalar multiple of the vector pointing to (a,b). In other words they are collinear with the origin. If they are equidistant to the origin, the scalar will be 1 or -1. But given this information it could be any scalar. Not sufficient.

2. |a|+|b|=|c|+|d|. This means that (a,b) and (c,d) both lay on some square centered at the origin. But they could be anywhere on the square. Not sufficient.

1 and 2. (a,b) and (c,d) are collinear with the origin and both lay on a square centered at the origin. Therefore they must be the same distance from the origin. Sufficient. C
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 05:06
(Don't read my "solution" I am studying and got this one wrong. :))

The first statement is telling me that the ratio between the x and y value are the same for both points.

This could be (1,3) or (10,30) where the second one is obviously further away from the origin. Hence insufficient.

Statement (2) I cannot fully understand intuitively. So I'll plug in some numbers.

0,1 =1
1/4,1/4 = 1/2+1/2=1
distance from origin in the second case = (1/2)^2+(1/2)^2=(2/4) square root of (1/2) =/= 1.

So it differs.

However, by using the same numbers I could make it work. So I can rule out both and go with E.

Wrong answer above, will have a look at the solutions provided by other users :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.87

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 04:33
This was my view:

You see immediately that both statements alone are not sufficient. So start evaluating the combination of both:

Statement A says that that the points are on the same line through the origin. Statement B says that the different "possible" points all have an equal distance to the x-axis, but also to the y-axis. Therefore, combining both options say that either (a,b) = (c,d) or (a,b) = (-c, -d). So equidistant from origin.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2014, 23:37
Bunuel wrote:
tinki wrote:
Official explanation says:
"If we know the proportion of a to b is the same as c to d and that |a| + |b| = |c| + |d|, then it must be the case that |a| = |c| and |b| = |d| ?

could someone elaborate how we are supposed to know |a| = |c| and |b| = |d|? a bit vague statement for me

thanks for responses

Distance between the point A (x,y) and the origin can be found by the formula: \(D=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\).

So we are asked whether \(\sqrt{a^2+b^2}=\sqrt{c^2+d^2}\)? Or whether \(a^2+b^2=c^2+d^2\)?

(1) \(\frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}\) --> \(a=cx\) and \(b=dx\), for some non-zero \(x\). Not sufficient.

(2) \(\sqrt{a^2}+\sqrt{b^2}=\sqrt{c^2} +\sqrt{d^2}\) --> \(|a|+|b|=|c|+|d|\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) \(a=cx\) and \(b=dx\), substitute this in (2): \(|cx|+|dx|=|c|+|d|\) --> \(|x|(|c|+|d|)=|c|+|d|\) --> \(|x|=1\) (another solution \(|c|+|d|=0\) is not possible as \(d\) in (1) given in denominator and can not be zero, so \(d\neq{0}\) --> \(|c|+|d|>0\)) --> now, as \(|x|=1\) and \(a=cx\) and \(b=dx\), then \(|a|=|c|\) and \(|b|=|d|\) --> square this equations: \(a^2=c^2\) and \(b^2=d^2\) --> add them: \(a^2+b^2=c^2+d^2\). Sufficient.

Bunuel, how did you quickly determine that (2) was Not Sufficient?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 07:09
TooLong150 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
tinki wrote:
"If we know the proportion of a to b is the same as c to d and that |a| + |b| = |c| + |d|, then it must be the case that |a| = |c| and |b| = |d| ?

could someone elaborate how we are supposed to know |a| = |c| and |b| = |d|? a bit vague statement for me

thanks for responses

Bunuel, how did you quickly determine that (2) was Not Sufficient?

You can do this with number plugging. The question asks whether \(a^2+b^2=c^2+d^2\) and (2) says that \(|a|+|b|=|c|+|d|\). If a = b = c = d = 0, then the answer would be YES but if a = 0, b = 2, c = 1 and d = 1, then the answer would be NO.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GPA: 3.01
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2015, 22:12
Bunuel Sir,

I Didn't understand this:-

b/a=a/c->bc=ad->c/a=a/b
given a/b=c/d=cx/dx

(as the ratios are equal then there exist some for which d=cx and b=dx)
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2015, 06:07
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 01:42
mbaMission wrote:
In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points \((a, b)\) and \((c, d)\) equidistant from the origin?

(1) \(\frac{a}{b} =\frac{c}{d}\)

(2) \(\sqrt{a^2} + \sqrt{b^2} = \sqrt{c^2} + \sqrt{d^2}\)

Spoiler: :: Answer:
C

this question is pretty weid. is this question from gmatprep?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 03:32
thangvietnam wrote:
mbaMission wrote:
In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points \((a, b)\) and \((c, d)\) equidistant from the origin?

(1) \(\frac{a}{b} =\frac{c}{d}\)

(2) \(\sqrt{a^2} + \sqrt{b^2} = \sqrt{c^2} + \sqrt{d^2}\)

Spoiler: :: Answer:
C

this question is pretty weid. is this question from gmatprep?

Yes, it's a GMAT Prep question.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 00:56
Bunuel wrote:
tinki wrote:

thanks for responses

the key point here is to know that a=xc
this is simple but tricky

wonderful explanation of this problem . thank you , Bunnu
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 00:40
Bunuel wrote:
nsp007 wrote:

(1) a/b = c/d

Will post OA later.

Hi y'all,

I'm a newbie here.
can you please review my method?

I was disagreeing that only (2) is not sufficient.
I use Trigonometry to solve (2). The (x,y) must make a right triangle with x-axis.
Thus, the distance between the dot and the origin must be the hypotenuse. And (2) seems to be the equation for the hypotenuse.
If the 2 triangle are equal, then the distance must be equal.

Or am I missing something...?
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '20
GPA: 3.71
In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 08:11
Please look at the attachment
Attachments

15349544031147315906331893752635.jpg
15349544031147315906331893752635.jpg [ 2.57 MiB | Viewed 127 times ]

Everything is in flux, nothing stays still

MGMAT1 :590 Q42 V30 (07/07/18)
VERITAS :660 Q48 V33 (16/07/18)
GMATPREP1 :690 Q46 V36 (22/07/18)
GMATPREP2 :740 Q51 V39 (06/08/18)
ECONOMIST :740 Q49 V44 (11/08/18)
KAPLAN :690 Q49 V36 (17/08/18)
PRINCETON :690 Q48 V38 (26/08/18)
MGMAT2 :720 Q43 V45 (02/09/18)

GMAT Club Bot
In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a, &nbs [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 08:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 40 posts ] 

In the rectangular coordinate system, are the points (a,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap