Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (01:56) correct 30% (00:50) wrong based on 850 sessions
Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the
Kushan empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan
grey schist.
A. empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or
B. empire, fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from
C. empire, either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or
D. empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from
E. empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by PiyushK on 12 Jul 2014, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined the question.
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [5] , given: 46

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 22:35
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is E.

Given : Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the
Kushan empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan
grey schist.

Simplifying the given sentence:
May of the deities date from the time of X empire, fashioned either from A or B.

If we understand basic meaning of the sentence, we will realize that not the kushan empire but the deities are fashioned from something.

So, the right sentence is:
May of the deities date from the time of X empire and fashioned either from A or from B.

E. empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from - Correct
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 17

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
IDisappear, man, please underline the tested part. It's so messy without it.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 15:42
Either from X..... Or From Y
Where X and Y has to be parallel.

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 15:55
Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

A. empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or - 'fashioned either from the.....' incorrectly modifying 'Kushan empire'
B. empire, fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from - same as A
C. empire, either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or - same as A
D. empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from - awkward. also incorrect idiom
E. empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 987 [2] , given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
whats wrong with D?

D. empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or (fashioned ) from

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 05:59
E

In D, fashioned has to be explicitly mentioned as it comes after either.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 07:58
Silly mistake....Marked A. :?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 09:31
gurpreetsingh wrote:
whats wrong with D?

D. empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or (fashioned ) from

IMO-
Option D misses out on the pronoun "where" - This makes the construction of the statement awkward.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 11:35
Yes please explain in detail... why do we need the "were" ?
Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3669 [8] , given: 185

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 08:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All,

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

Choice D is incorrect for two reasons.
1. The first error is a parallelism error. This sentence has two markers “either… or…”. What follows the first marker must follow the second marker also. Here “either” is followed by “fashioned from…” while “or” is followed by “from…”. So the first marker is followed by a verb-ed modifier while the second marker is followed by prepositional phrase. This leads to the parallelism error in this sentence. Note that “fashioned” cannot be taken for understood here. It has to be mentioned to maintain the parallelism.
2. This sentence has “and”. The independent clause before “and” has “Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India” as the subject and “date” as the verb. They agree in number as well as make sense with each other. However, the clause after “and” verb. The subject for the clause following “and” remains the same. We have “fashioned” here which is not a verb.
Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist.

If “fashioned” is the verb in this sentence, then the sentence will means that the “images of deity” fashioned something which is illogical. From the sentence, we know that these deities were made of either spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan schist.

Notice that this sentence should be written in passive voice to convey this meaning. So we need a helping verb before “fashioned” to make it a passive verb.

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist.

Choice E corrects this error where the first part of the sentence is in active voice while the second one is in passive.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 20:07
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

1. The first error is a parallelism error. This sentence has two markers “either… or…”. What follows the first marker must follow the second marker also. Here “either” is followed by “fashioned from…” while “or” is followed by “from…”. So the first marker is followed by a verb-ed modifier while the second marker is followed by prepositional phrase. This leads to the parallelism error in this sentence. Note that “fashioned” cannot be taken for understood here. It has to be mentioned to maintain the parallelism.
2. This sentence has “and”. The independent clause before “and” has “Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India” as the subject and “date” as the verb. They agree in number as well as make sense with each other. However, the clause after “and” verb. The subject for the clause following “and” remains the same. We have “fashioned” here which is not a verb.
Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist.

If “fashioned” is the verb in this sentence, then the sentence will means that the “images of deity” fashioned something which is illogical. From the sentence, we know that these deities were made of either spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan schist.

Notice that this sentence should be written in passive voice to convey this meaning. So we need a helping verb before “fashioned” to make it a passive verb.

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from Gandharan grey schist.

Choice E corrects this error where the first part of the sentence is in active voice while the second one is in passive.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Hi Shradha,

Great explanation. Please correct me if my reasoning was right.

In the original sentence, fashioned is working as a verb-ed modifier. Since the original sentence has two clauses combined by "and" , we need parallelism.

Many of the earliest known images of India DATE should be parallel with the second clause WERE FASHIONED. in this case were fashioned is working as a verb.

I did not think the way you explained above, but let me know if my reasoning is in the right direction.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 562

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 06:35
isnt E also technically wrong

. empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

date and were fashioned are not parallel.

E gmat pls help.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3669 [3] , given: 185

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sachindia wrote:
isnt E also technically wrong

. empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

date and were fashioned are not parallel.

E gmat pls help.

Hi Sachindia,

I have seen this question many a times. And really speaking, this is one of those misconceptions - If we have active voice and and passive voice in a list, then that list cannot be parallel. But as I said, this is a misconception.

The cricket match started in the morning and was aired live across the country.
As you can see in this sentence - the two verbs - are in different voices. But this sentence is absolutely correct. The context of the verbs is such that they need to be in the specific voice to communicate the intended meaning.

Now if I were to change this sentence so as to force the verbs to have same voice, then I will end up making the sentence too long and imprecise.
The cricket match started in the morning and many leading TV networks aired it live across the country.
As you can see in this sentence, I have made the two verbs in same voice but to do that I had to add additional information - many leading TV networks. The focus on my original sentence was not on who aired the match live. The focus was only on the FACT that it WAS AIRED LIVE.

So both sentences are correct. The noteworthy thing is that - Your can have active voice parallel to passive voice - if the context allows.
In fact check out OG12#36. Analyze that sentence and see it in the light of this discussion here.

Do let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Payal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 562

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 18:36
Thanks a lot Payal..
These kinds of questions arise only when solving OG questions. I don't remember having read about active and passive voices that can be parallel in any of the strategy guides I have read so far!
Guess a more comprehensive guide on SC is needed.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Intern
Intern
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 38

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 23:12
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Shraddha, if you can help on the below usage :

1) either from X or from Y

2) from either X or Y

3) either from X or Y.

How they differ? which one is correct to convey the intended meaning above.?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -15 [0], given: 0

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 16:40
1) either from X or from Y

2) from either X or Y

3) either from X or Y.

I think any of these could be correct depending on the structure of the sentence
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 05:53
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Hi shraddha.....this is what i was searching for......
great explanation..............
although i got the question right....but now it is clear.

thanks
SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [0], given: 122

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 23:16
iDisappear wrote:
Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the
grey schist.

IMO, E

Main subject is "many of the earliest known images"

The structure is:
Many of the earliest known images.... date from........... and were fashioned either from X or from Y.
Parallel structure and correct idiom.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1700 [4] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This stony example isn’t that stony . Just follow the simple rule of correlative parallelism of ‘ either --- or’ conjunction and you will get the right choice popping up like Mount Everest in front of you The tenet of correlative //is that whatever is on the right of ‘either’ should be there on the right of ‘or’ also

A. empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or --- either from (preposition) or Gandharan stone ( noun )– wrong
B. empire, fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from -- either the spotted sandstone or from --- either ( noun ) or (preposition) wrong
C. empire, either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or – either fashioned (past participle) or Gandharan (noun) –wrong
D. empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from ---either fashioned(past participle ) or from ( preposition) wrong
E. empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from --- either from(preposition ) or from (preposition) – correct structure. E is eventually:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India   [#permalink] 04 May 2013, 04:53